All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 4:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Release date for hobbit minis?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It might be well put, but partly it is simply not true. Finecast has no sharper details, that is a myth, see for example the comparision here: http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=37868
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I can actually see a (relatively) big difference between models. However, that little bit of extra detail isn't enough to make me want to pay that much for them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can see a difference as well. The linings are more clear and every small indentation is visible. I haven't bought any finecast yet, but I sure love the wieght of the metals.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 am 
That's almost entirely due to the fact that metal reflects the light and therefore, the edges seem to be less 'crisp', while Finecast absorbs the light...in fact you just see more detail :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
That's almost entirely due to the fact that metal reflects the light and therefore, the edges seem to be less 'crisp', while Finecast absorbs the light...in fact you just see more detail :P

Exactly, a fair test would be when the metal is primed, preferably with the exact fincecast color.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:

Meaning that there is a slight difference between finecast and metal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
Meaning that there is a slight difference between finecast and metal.

No, meaning that there is a perceived difference between finecast and metal. A trick of the light makes metal seem less detailed, but in reality it is not.

I'd also like to say that I've never had as much hassle cleaning up a metal model as I have with finecast. More flash, more warping and bending, bent parts are more difficult to fix (and potentially less permanent), FAR greater chance of miscasts. All for 20-30% more money. No thanks...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Back to the topic at hand, no official news today - but there are a lot of blank slots from end of November all through December, suggesting multiple release dates (perhaps box set followed by boxes of extra minis such as trolls) - speculation at this point, all ears peeled!

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Good call GD, let's stay on topic please.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I really don't get it.. There are always allot of rumours (on this or other forums) of release dates of sometimes even photo's!

How is it that GW has succeeded in keeping it a secret for so long?

We're not even sure of a release date!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lorindol wrote:
I really don't get it.. There are always allot of rumours (on this or other forums) of release dates of sometimes even photo's!

How is it that GW has succeeded in keeping it a secret for so long?

We're not even sure of a release date!

I'd guess that they've reduced the staff working on the project and restricted access to any others. Obviously, not telling store staff helps too.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Agreed, they do not tell anything to the retail workers. My buddy ran the shop in Oak Park, IL for a couple years. Almost an afterthought in his store. He was from the UK and knew all the guys in Memphis and all. Read..., "connected". He ran games weekly at his house, and I would be there too. We'd talk and shoot the bull for hours. And still, he never had any information on new release anything!!! It is crazy!

I was at the mall with the wife and children the other week. And again, "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!" -Sergeant Schultz.

...frustrating :E

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The blanket ban on information seems also to apply to books - I see various titles listed for release 8th November, but the big hardback from WETA is not released until 14th December. I can understand it from a film plot/appearance spoilers point of view... except the book has been in existence since 1937 so a few people know the story ( :roll: ).
Only a few weeks to go so why worry?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It gives us all a lot more time to save up for the blister packs. I reckon if they release in December, I may be able to afford one by then. Just one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dagorlad wrote:
It gives us all a lot more time to save up for the blister packs. I reckon if they release in December, I may be able to afford one by then. Just one.

And it's coming to me! :D :P
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm mostly holding my breath to see if they significantly revamp the SBG rules. That above anything else will keep or drive me away as a core customer. I don't mind the Warband changes since they are just an adjustment to army building / deployment / scenarios and don't mess with the well tuned (over the course of years) SBG system. Their "new rules" will hopefully just be a revamp to include the Warband changes in the core rule system and maybe clean up a couple gray areas that have had to be FAQ'd over time. But any major changes are probably going to leave me cold.

I sadly have had to leave behind the purchase of new GW minis except for some rare situations. They are no longer what I personally consider 'worth it'. Doesn't really matter if it's FC or plastic. I was fine with plastics when they were about $1 each (24 models for $24) but I'm not paying twice that. Most Heroes are beyond what I consider a value as well. Only if I'm really suffering for a specific model and can't find it second hand (or proxy something) would I consider purchasing a new GW and that hasn't happened yet in nearly two years.

If they have something really cool come out with the Hobbit I may bend, but I doubt it. I hope to be impressed with the quality and look forward to what many of you here will do with them, but I'm going to be a happy backlog (still over 250 models) painter with the occasional influx of 'new' stuff from second hand purchases.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I'm mostly holding my breath to see if they significantly revamp the SBG rules. That above anything else will keep or drive me away as a core customer. I don't mind the Warband changes since they are just an adjustment to army building / deployment / scenarios and don't mess with the well tuned (over the course of years) SBG system. Their "new rules" will hopefully just be a revamp to include the Warband changes in the core rule system and maybe clean up a couple gray areas that have had to be FAQ'd over time. But any major changes are probably going to leave me cold.

I sadly have had to leave behind the purchase of new GW minis except for some rare situations. They are no longer what I personally consider 'worth it'. Doesn't really matter if it's FC or plastic. I was fine with plastics when they were about $1 each (24 models for $24) but I'm not paying twice that. Most Heroes are beyond what I consider a value as well. Only if I'm really suffering for a specific model and can't find it second hand (or proxy something) would I consider purchasing a new GW and that hasn't happened yet in nearly two years.

If they have something really cool come out with the Hobbit I may bend, but I doubt it. I hope to be impressed with the quality and look forward to what many of you here will do with them, but I'm going to be a happy backlog (still over 250 models) painter with the occasional influx of 'new' stuff from second hand purchases.

Well said. I really like the rules as they are, and hope they don't change them. I am in the same boat with buying stuff too. I am fine with paying
$1 each for plastic infantry, $3 each for metal infantry, and $5 each for heros on foot, but anything more is getting expensive. (that's normally about the pricing I roll with for ebay stuff, but I am still not going to win very much, as people are now willing to pay lots more on ebay with the recent price rises by GW)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I completely agree with the two posts above. I'm totally backlogged 250+ miniatures from SBG/WOTR and I highly doubt I'm going to give Games Workshop any more money for their god awful Finecast mischief.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

rammas_echor wrote:
I highly doubt I'm going to give Games Workshop any more money for their god awful Finecast mischief.

I don't believe you :wink:

The price rises suck, the new material is getting better, The Hobbit is coming , I'll buy them all :D

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Not to mention that it seems that they're going to do at least some of the heros in plastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 41  Next