All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thranduil Revealed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lord Hurin wrote:
Thranduil WAS portrayed as loving treasure and trinkets more than most Elves, so the "glam rock" look is kind of fitting.

I didn't like it at first, but I've come around to not minding it for this reason. Thranduil the Sindar was probably a bit jealous of his secondary rank among the history of Elven Kings. The costume and demeanor speaks to his insecurity and arrogance. Of course he was more complex than that, but it's the first glimpse you get of him in the Hobbit book.

As for what's "manly", some people were uncomfortable with the Frodo/Sam relationship in the movie too...I think in our coddled modern western experience we can't easily conceive of what it's like to go through hell and back with someone you trust completely. That level of closeness and trust doesn't imply anything sexual. In today's world some people are too "on guard" against appearing "unmanly".
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
I think he looks great. Thranduil WAS portrayed as loving treasure and trinkets more than most Elves, so the "glam rock" look is kind of fitting. The ice skater thing will dissipate the moment you see him run an Orc through with that sword! :D

I have to say I agree! Whilst it's not exactly what I would have pictured, I think he looks quite good. There's a sort of "mythological" look to him.

Last edited by Erurainon the Trombonist on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

whafrog wrote:
As for what's "manly", some people were uncomfortable with the Frodo/Sam relationship in the movie too...I think in our coddled modern western experience we can't easily conceive of what it's like to go through hell and back with someone you trust completely. That level of closeness and trust doesn't imply anything sexual. In today's world some people are too "on guard" against appearing "unmanly".

While I agree about Sam and Frodo, you have to remember he was a King. Granted, unlike most real kings of olden days, he didn't have much contact with other nations, but he would still most likely have a level of regalness about him, which the glam rock star look definitely doesn't fit. Yes, he would most definitely have a LOT of bling (least ways compared to, say, Legolas, but I don't think that his robes would be the bling itself. By manly, I mean that most kings wouldn't be respected if they dressed as a woman, so you would need to have a level of masculinity about yourself, not a shiny dress. Granted, that could be the standard male dress of Mirkwood, but I highly doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

he doesn't even look like he belongs in Middle Earth..... he looks more like the white witch from Narnia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
whafrog wrote:

While I agree about Sam and Frodo, you have to remember he was a King. Granted, unlike most real kings of olden days, he didn't have much contact with other nations, but he would still most likely have a level of regalness about him, which the glam rock star look definitely doesn't fit. Yes, he would most definitely have a LOT of bling (least ways compared to, say, Legolas, but I don't think that his robes would be the bling itself. By manly, I mean that most kings wouldn't be respected if they dressed as a woman, so you would need to have a level of masculinity about yourself, not a shiny dress. Granted, that could be the standard male dress of Mirkwood, but I highly doubt it.

You've taken a history class, right? Marc Anthony got very into make-up when he was in Egypt. Men have worn tights longer than women. Chinese apparel is quite gaudy too. I could go on... I mean, compared to Louis XIII and other renaissance fashions, Thranduil looks plain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you note, I said that it could be "standard male dress", meaning I understand that standards change. But look at every other ruler in the world. Denethor, Theoden, Elrond, Celeborn, and Aragorn all had relatively similar dress, with obvious differences based on region. Yes, Thranduil will look different, but his clothing shouldn't be THAT different.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It could just be his party/feast garb. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeno what his outfits growing on me! Hes supposed to be a kind of vain, arrogant type who loves his jewels so it makes sense that hed look a bit metrosexual! Plus that sword is frickin' awesome, its like a regular elven blade but more badass! :-D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

that-one-elf wrote:
he doesn't even look like he belongs in Middle Earth

While I agree that he certainly looks quite different from what we have seen of Middle-earth, to me the Hobbit seems to deal with a different side of Middle-earth than we see in LotR. In LotR we see the passing and fading of the elves, these somewhat mystical creatures who seem to cast silver light about their feet, and the rise of Men, an altogether more "familiar" race. The Hobbit however shows us the more "magical" side of Middle-earth, which I think PJ is trying to put across. Even Sauron's name "the Necromancer" shows how sorcery has a more prevalent role in this part of Middle-earth. To me Thranduil's design highlights this more mystical portrayal of Middle-earth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I actually really like the new Thranduil I play wood elves and am a massive Lee Pace (the actor playing him) fan so I was always going to like it but I feel it is worth mentioning that the elves in both the book and the films are supposed to be very graceful and I suppose elegant. In LOTR think of all the elves you see apart from Legolas they come across as very 'effeminate' and otherworldy look at the scene in FOTR with Celeborn and Galadriel and the coronation in ROTK when Arwen and her group appear even the men are dressed in the same sort of clothes as Thranduil is, add this to the clip in one of the production blogs when Lee Pace talks about being taught to 'move' like an elf and you start to get a picture of what PJ is trying to make the elves look and feel like.

The sword is awesome and the Crown is strange at first but once you look at the description 'On his head was a crown of berries and red leaves, for the autumn was come again' it definitely has red leaves and that 'image' is enhanced by the continuing woodland and slightly wilder feel that Mirkwood has with the branches
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

see all these comments about his 'dress' being too feminine and over the top royal. It makes me wonder how many of you actually saw the LOTR movies. :p He doesn't look out of place at all, he looks as elvish as PJ-elves can be. :) The eyebrows are too dark though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gotta say he does resemble Legolas

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Though he's channeling Bowie in Labyrinth.

I think you nailed it! LOL! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The only reason why he looks out of place is because his clothing is covered in metal, which is not at ALL like the other elves in LotR. If it's some kind of light armor (which it doesn't look like), then it could fit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
While I agree that he certainly looks quite different from what we have seen of Middle-earth, to me the Hobbit seems to deal with a different side of Middle-earth than we see in LotR. In LotR we see the passing and fading of the elves, these somewhat mystical creatures who seem to cast silver light about their feet, and the rise of Men, an altogether more "familiar" race. The Hobbit however shows us the more "magical" side of Middle-earth, which I think PJ is trying to put across. Even Sauron's name "the Necromancer" shows how sorcery has a more prevalent role in this part of Middle-earth. To me Thranduil's design highlights this more mystical portrayal of Middle-earth.

Absolutely agree. I don't mind the Thraundil, he doesn't make me go AWESOME!!! but I think he works. The only slight problem I have is with is eyebrows but thats not too bad.

And I'm loving all of these Labyrinth references!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Not sure I'm looking forward to painting that dress. Maybe Citadel glitter paint?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
The only reason why he looks out of place is because his clothing is covered in metal, which is not at ALL like the other elves in LotR. If it's some kind of light armor (which it doesn't look like), then it could fit.

Imagine the coronation scene in LOTR at the end with all the dressed up elves. Now imagine this Thranduil standing there too. He seems to fit in from what I can imagine.:p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

But his clothes still don't match. Yes, they are slightly similar, but not that much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
But his clothes still don't match. Yes, they are slightly similar, but not that much.

He has a different tailor ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:

Does he necessarily have to look the same? The Elves could very easily have different styles and cultures. As others mentioned before, he is not a High Elf, like those we have seen.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've said myself that they should look different, but he's the king of a woodland realm, you would expect him to utilize at least slightly muted colors. Yes, they would be different, but NOT THAT MUCH. That's all I'm trying to say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next