All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Epic Goblin Town
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Constantine wrote:
:shock:

Imagine playing in such a board. How great it would be.

Quote:
Second only to that massive Minas Tirith in GW Paris

Are there any pictures of this?

I was wondering too, found something even cooler tho. A matchstick model of Minas Tirith, made entirely out of matchsticks, not sure if this one has been posted before, but my jaw kinda dropped seeing it.

http://www.hemmy.net/2008/04/03/minas-tirith-matchstick-model/
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't dare think how long that took...

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Both very cool Goblin Town boards. :)
Would be great to play on.
Be nice to do something similar yet still storable for very occasional gamers...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Stupid rule to limit the terrain to store-bought GW stuff. I can see not allowing kits from other manufacturers, but what's wrong with scratch-built?

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I agree, whats the problem with sctatch built, rumours of big changes in the GW organisation this year, one man store concept has not worked and a lot of store will be closing.

Last edited by Harfoot on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Rumours? Everyone always Rumours! Nothing ever changes.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I hope that's not true. My local GW is a one-man store, and the nearest other one is an hour's drive.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Nice board. That is defo expanding foam...the manager at crawley said he wasnt allowed to use anything that GW didnt sell and his area managers were strict on it. Anyway, here is his attempt.

Ya see, this is why I generally dislike GW nowadays. The institutional lack of innovation, imagination and creativity.

White Dwarf has become a glorified catalogue, only featuring things that will directly profit GW (scenery kits). No more hobby articles that show you how to make amazing scratch built terrain (I do not just want pre-fabricated mass produced bland and limited scenery kits that everyone else has too). There is NO HOBBY now, unless it can be bought and paid for.

The only sparks of genuine creativity come from individuals who buck the system.

That said, the Crawley manager did a fantastic job with the Devlan Mud resources at his disposal.`

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
That said, the Crawley manager did a fantastic job with the Devlan Mud resources at his disposal.`

He did that in 1 night. We left saturday evening and by the sunday morning it was done.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bet he did not sleep that night.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Telchar wrote:
I hope that's not true. My local GW is a one-man store, and the nearest other one is an hour's drive.

My nearest (and only within....well, probably a province or two) is a one man show as well. But I don't think he'll be closing down any time soon.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Nice board. That is defo expanding foam...the manager at crawley said he wasnt allowed to use anything that GW didnt sell and his area managers were strict on it. Anyway, here is his attempt.

Anybody remember the days when White Dwarf had modelling workshops on constructing terrain that was all hobby and craft material and no GW branded stuff at all?

I was actually stunned at the Great Goblin's throne in the film. There is a long shot of the platform as the Dwarves are being led there and the throne is literally built onto a peak of rock that juts up through the platform (and several lower levels) like a miniature mountain.

It would be nice to have enough space in the house to build something that size...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Anybody remember the days when White Dwarf had modelling workshops on constructing terrain that was all hobby and craft material and no GW branded stuff at all?

GW terrain is good, but i still prefer the old 'scratch built' articles. Terrain is my favourite part of the entire hobby.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow, that's SUCH a wonderful board! If only my local GW had one...
Now they only have this:

:roll: :x :roll:

I actually hate that citadel realm of battle board...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Citadel Realm of Battle board and plastic terrain kits are probably THE worst things to happen in the last decade in terms of creativity and hobby skills.

No longer does GW encourage people to build their own unique terrain boards from polystyrene, balsa wood and all manner of cheap freely available items and rubbish, thereby learning valuable Hobby skills in the process (recycling rubbish too).

Remember the old Shelob's Lair gaming board, that had narrow tunnels beautifully detailed with spider webs, skeletons and debris? Remember the Mountain pass board with huge hills and cliffs back in the FOTR Edition, made for the High Elves and Numenorians to battle against the Orcs of Mordor? Remember the beautiful, fully scratch lifelike versions of Helms Deep?

We rarely see them anymore, especially in White Dwarf.

All we see are pre-made plastic trees, plastic buildings, plastic hills, plastic walls and hedges etc; slapped down onto a plastic slab. I suppose we should count our blessings that they're not pre-painted and pre-assembled (but then again, GW wants to sell paints, glue and tools so that will never happen anyway).

Things like GW Middlesbrough's scratch built Goblin Town board, Feanor's (TLA) Dwarven Mine board (Of Rocks and Mithril), the Shelob's Lair gaming board in White Dwarf years ago; these are the sorts of things that will draw in new players for the SBG. One of these sorts of boards should be in every GW store, space and staff permitting (I realise that its a lot of work).

Showing a new player an unimaginative, bland and mass produced collection of plastic terrain kits is not going to catch their imagination and inspire them. And it'll most definately put them off the game when they ask:

"How much is all this?"
"£400".
"........Thanks for the game. Nice meeting you".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

We can build Goblin Town from anything we want - there is no reason even to use the plastic terrain pieces other than to get the scale and style scoped for our own purposes. It may be a tough challenge, but it may even be possible to make a modular Goblin Town so the storage issue would be less of a problem AND it would also be possible to play variations on the theme (as if it were different parts of the complex) so no 2 games would be identical.
The next step on the GW Road to Receivership: when in store you can only breath GW manufactured air.... :P :P

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
We can build Goblin Town from anything we want - there is no reason even to use the plastic terrain pieces other than to get the scale and style scoped for our own purposes.

Oh absolutely. However, my point was that we can no longer look to GW for help with that. All the help they offer, the White Dwarf guides, store tutorials, its all geared towards their own Citadel brand range of terrain kits. Its just a glorified assembly line, not a real Hobby.

I used to learn all sorts of stuff from White Dwarf, AND the website; even if I never made my own terrain (no-one to play with at home so it was pointless making my own stuff if I'm always travelling to a GW store to play). Now they're just a Showcase for Citadel terrain products.

Dorthonion wrote:
The next step on the GW Road to Receivership: when in store you can only breath GW manufactured air.... :P :P

I have a mixed collection of Citadel and Vallejo (non-GW) paints, and I'm currently working on an Anglo-Saxon historical army (non-GW, Gripping Beast/Wargames Factory/Musketeer Miniatures). I'm concerned that if I go over to my local GW and paint my non-GW models, they might ask me not to; even though 90% of my paints and brushes are Citadel (10/100 pots are Vallejo).

I was going to go over today and try to get a game of SBG in, or paint in the mean time but decided to just take my WIP Warriors of Arnor conversions. I was hoping to get some advice on greenstuff sculpting, but the only advice I got (after asking twice) was "Just keep practicing". Apparently very few of the staff there bother converting LOTR because its "too hard with such a small scale". They were actually surprised I bother converting LOTR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is what they've got in GW Ipswich, I don't think it's bad considering it's only made from GW sold materials. Image
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Would be fun to have an army of dwarves there too!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That matchstick one would make a great gaming board, about perfect scale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next