All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:30 am

Post subject: Re: Aren't we due a "Desolation of Smaug" miniature range le
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It depends who the target audience for the set is.

If it is aimed at new players then it makes sense as Thorin’s Company are the main characters and any new player will want them.

If it is mainly aimed at existing players then the set probably won’t include them.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:
Yep, that's what I've been thinking for a while now. When there were only 2 films they could afford to release 2 sculpts of the company per film, now there's 3 they've 'saved' the other sculpts from the rulebook to release alongside DOS. To my mind that's even more evidence that the new starter set won't include the company. Also Cuchulain why don't you think it'll be the same standard? The starter sets have been improving in terms of quality and variety so I think if there is a new one it'll be similar to EFGT.

My money's on:

Legolas
Tauriel
Thranduil (possibly the limited edition model if they do that again)
12/24 elves
6 spiders
12 Dol Guldur Orcs
Some Orc heroes (Bolg, Narzug maybe?)
Mirkwood scenery

It's one of those rare times with GW that that's what I think AND what I hope, fingers crossed but I think this release is gonna be awesome.

Only because of the difference between the MoM set and the other sets you mentioned.

Standard as in the scope of it rather than the quality I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Farmer Maggot wrote:
It depends who the target audience for the set is.

If it is aimed at new players then it makes sense as Thorin’s Company are the main characters and any new player will want them.

If it is mainly aimed at existing players then the set probably won’t include them.

I think they try to get both. I think Tauril and Leggy are good bets, Mirkwood elves, Spiders and Orcs are likely too, maybe a named spider-queen like Slenatha (spelling? ) from War of the North.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd be one of the first to buy if the "monster" was a spider queen :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:38 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice release from Weta -
http://www.wetanz.com/king-thranduil-1- ... -292354333

Bit expensive!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bartelomeus wrote:
Quote:
...in the UK the 3 LOTR ones were £40 and EFGT £75

A quick calculation.. corrected for the inflation, the price of the FOTR-set would now be about £56. What a bargain, that EFGT set :P

Hi Bartelmeus, how did you calculate the FOTR set being only £56? As a general rule of thumb Sterling will halve in value every ten years which would put the box set at just over £80 in 12 years. However mass produced machine made objects have a general tendency to fall in value.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bilbo wrote:
Hi Bartelmeus, how did you calculate the FOTR set being only £56? As a general rule of thumb Sterling will halve in value every ten years which would put the box set at just over £80 in 12 years. However mass produced machine made objects have a general tendency to fall in value.

Yeah, I'm lazy so I used some dodgy online converter. I should have noticed that was way to cheap considering how much the models increased in price (since prices increase way more than due to inflation alone, especially GW's).

This is way more accurate: According to WD 289 (2003) 24 WOMT cost £12, now they cost £30. That's an increase of 250% so the ROTK set that used to cost £40 would now go for £100.

So the price of the set didn't increased as much as it did for models and the content has been vastly improved. Final conclusion: REALLY great deal :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bartelomeus wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Yeah, I'm lazy so I used some dodgy online converter. I should have noticed that was way to cheap considering how much the models increased in price (since prices increase way more than due to inflation alone, especially GW's).

This is way more accurate: According to WD 289 (2003) 24 WOMT cost £12, now they cost £30. That's an increase of 250% so the ROTK set that used to cost £40 would now go for £100.

So the price of the set didn't increased as much as it did for models and the content has been vastly improved. Final conclusion: REALLY great deal :P

The starter set is really of fantastic quality, with very finely detailed more 3 dimensional miniatures, and great scenery.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm really keen to know what the new starter set will have in the box!

If the movie will release at 11 december we will probably know the contant by december 4? considering the preorder time?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lorindol wrote:
If the movie will release at 11 december we will probably know the contant by december 4? considering the preorder time?

The release date of the film has no bearing on the release date of GW's range (beyond sharing the same month). When the new White Dwarf comes out on Saturday have a look on the Hobby Diary page at the back, that will tell us the release date of December's White Dwarf. It should be Saturday 30th but there's a chance they'll release it on Saturday 23rd as that will be 4 weeks after the November issue and will allow them to get January's issue out before Christmas. Whichever Saturday it's released on, all the pictures will be up on the GW website around 12:01 on the Saturday morning.

There really isn't much room for speculation here, unless GW do something entirely unexpected and against the norm I'm 99% certain the above is true.

As for leaked pictures I wouldn't hold your breath, we got the first scans on the Wednesday (so 2 days) before release last year and it won't be much before that this year.

I suppose we did get to see the Limited Edition Radagast mini a few months early last year but that was a one-off accident that I sincerely doubt will be repeated.

So there we go, we'll be seeing the minis either 5 or 6 weeks from today, not before, not after.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good post Dr G, enjoyed reading that.

Had a look at the "kids" Hobbit 2 Annual in a book shop yesterday, nothing new in it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

We have our answer! December's White Dwarf is released on Saturday 30th November so we'll see all the lovely new toys on the website around 12:01 that morning. You can expect leaked photos from Monday 25th onwards.

5 weeks and counting guys, start your engines...

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Engines meaning Wallets ? :D already and saved for the Ultimate Bundle cant wait!