All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:18 am

Post subject: Re: Does anyone have an idea when games workshop
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Do you really think that New Line could dictate the policy of GW on their other brands? It would be an interesting explanation, as the "ZOMG, HERE IT IS. COMES OUT TOMORROW NOW BUY BUY BUY!!!!!" angle seems like it wouldn't work on either old vets or certainly not on brand new customers. Quite the opposite, it seems like they're just underestimating their customers...

Anyway, as long as the stuff is released and available in time for Christmas then I don't see a problem. Whether any of it will end up on my list or not depends heavily on which material it's done in.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Do you really think that New Line could dictate the policy of GW on their other brands? I

Yes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord Hurin wrote:
Do you really think that New Line could dictate the policy of GW on their other brands?

Yes

Lord Hurin wrote:
ZOMG, HERE IT IS. COMES OUT TOMORROW NOW BUY BUY BUY!!!!!"

For the other systems this is definately part of the reasoning.
Imagine, if you knew a model was coming out in a months time that you wanted n costs £40 (and you always wanted to own it) would you still buy the £30 today?
For most people the answer is no. But if you spend that £30 and then 2 weeks later find "Wow, a new *** is coming out tomorrow" you would probably find the £40 for the model you always wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I honestly didn't realize that GW still valued the Tolkien brand enough to do that. That's interesting, but perhaps not reassuring...

And honestly? If I wanted both sets, I would get them. Does it really matter to GW whether it's on the release day/weekend or not? I doubt a lot of their customers have as little self control as that, or are bad enough planners to allow themselves to make unnecessary purchases.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
Do you really think that New Line could dictate the policy of GW on their other brands?

Of course. New Line granted the Licence and has the power to take it away, so can stipulate whatever conditions it likes. If it requires GW to prove it can be trusted by clamping down on rumours for all brands, then GW has to accept those conditions or decline the Licence. New Line could even have demanded that GW promote the Lord of the Rings to the detriment of its Warhammer brands (more shelf space for LotR, more LotR coverage in White Dwarf, LotR models only in display cabinets), in which case GW would probably have refused.

Lord Hurin wrote:
I doubt a lot of their customers have as little self control as that, or are bad enough planners to allow themselves to make unnecessary purchases.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
Of course. New Line granted the Licence and has the power to take it away, so can stipulate whatever conditions it likes. If it requires GW to prove it can be trusted by clamping down on rumours for all brands, then GW has to accept those conditions or decline the Licence. New Line could even have demanded that GW promote the Lord of the Rings to the detriment of its Warhammer brands (more shelf space for LotR, more LotR coverage in White Dwarf, LotR models only in display cabinets), in which case GW would probably have refused.

Fair enough. Like I said though, I didn't think GW still valued the licence enough to allow that kind of clause in the contract. Certainly, store staff seem to give me the "oh, Low-Tar? That's cute. How about some BADASS TYRANIDS?!?! RAAAAWRR!" speech whenever I go into a GW store.

Quote:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I didn't mean to offend anyone, let alone you. I just mean that if you only have $40 (as in the given example) and get the item you want less because the one you really wanted isn't spoiled until its release, it would [word deleted] me off. Not sure about anyone else though. If I had enough money for (and wanted) both, it wouldn't be a big deal because I'd buy both. Basically, though, GW is assuming that you'll spend your cash because you have it and they have models for sale. Then they'll make new ones and you'll buy them. Admittedly, I've bought plenty of stuff I don't need (more than enough Dwarves, Goblins and WoMT for a WoTR army; I don't even play WoTR... :roll: ) but I got it for far less than GW's retail price. I've had spare cash for the last several months that I haven't spent a dime of on GW minis. With their prices now I can't afford to buy minis because it's payday like I used to do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
With their prices now I can't afford to buy minis because it's payday like I used to do.

The economy is really poor right now. I have a budget. I do not know what the December release is so I can't budget for it. I used to have a standing order for every thing GW produced in the LOTR line. I canceled that because of Finecast .The store owner can't get the White Dwarf on time. The Store owner won't order LOTR unless I ask for it because I am his only LOTR customer. So I won't see it. So I won't know if I want it. So I won't get it. I am to the point I don't care. So in what universe is this a good business model. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:
So in what universe is this a good business model. :roll:

Well, whenever I went into the local stores I did always notice a lot of younger kids getting their parents to buy them stuff. Still though, what's the difference between the brand new thing and any other similarly priced product for a window shopping youngster?

I wouldn't be surprised if they repeal this strategy once The Hobbit film hits theatres. It can't work as well as GW is claiming...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin, you didn't offend me in the slightest. Your remark re lack of self control & unecessary purchases was just somewhat applicable to me. :oops:

e.g.

I once bought a Balin & Khazad Guard box thinking it would be the start of a brand new Dwarf army (my 5th at the time, considering I inherited my brothers Isengard Uruk Hai and Rohirrim when he lost interest). I painted them twice then gave up and reundercoated them black, and never used them. Fast forward around 8 years, and I got the discontinued Dwarf captain off ebay, again thinking it would be the start of a new Dwarf army. Then I did the math and realised I can't afford an army. (that was a year ago). Maybe in a year...a job would help. :rofl:

Around 4 years ago, I spent over £60 on plastic warg/riders, mordor orcs, rangers, warriors of minas tirith and knights of minas tirith. To date, I've only completed two of those boxes.

Around 2 years ago, I decided I wanted Shrikes Wing (a lightning claw equipped veteran assault squad), for my Raven Guard Space marine captain kayvaan shrike. For some reason I got the idea that they would look cool with robes. So I got a Dark Angels veterans box (for the robes alone), an Assault Terminator box (for the claws alone, though i then sold the rest of the box) and an assault marine box. Around £60 on 5 models. :roll: And the ironic thing is, now they're finished they look Devlan Mud. :-X

So yeah...when it comes to lack of self control and unneccessary purchases, I am very experienced. Though lately ever since GW hit us with a triple whammy when they switched to Finecast, raised the prices and halved the model count of some boxes, I have mostly controlled myself thanks to my indignation :x . Since Finecast I've only bought 3 models, all LotR and all metal. A brush, and a couple of paints. Though I fully expect this will change with the Hobbit if the rumours of a fully plastic first wave are accurate... :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
Around 4 years ago, I spent over £60 on plastic warg/riders, mordor orcs, rangers, warriors of minas tirith and knights of minas tirith. To date, I've only completed two of those boxes.

I do like the samething. I have models that's been around for ages and never been touched. Mostly because I buy a lot when I see a liquidation. Makes me wonder at times how much I really do need this stuff. And I have a long way to go until I fully complete my Lotr backlog, and it just might take a decade or more. I need to stop posting on here and start painting!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have tins for uncompleted projects. I think Im up to 6 quality street tins.
THen i have 2 stacking boxes full of BNIB models I bought with the intention to "start a *** army" and never got round to doing it...

I think you will find impulse buyers and "I need it, I want it" buyers are more common than you think. Especially with the prevailance of teenagers (with parents who dont make their kids save up for stuff) and students (my loan came through today I'll buy a ....) and of course the "this is my hobby, if i were into golf i'd have spent this money on clubs" adults who will spend all their spare cash if they are tempted and justify it afterwards... and sometimes regeret it.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

What does the leaked production list for 2013 mean in terms of the all plastic Rumor? :roll:
These could all be plastic sets :? Or Finecast :shock: :-X
502054111470200 Silvan Elves: Legolas & Mirkwood Fire Archers  
504019211470206 Wargs: Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves   
506007411470209 Men of Esgaroth: Bard & Greystreak Bowmen    
507010912070297 Adventure: Assault on the Barrows      
501061111470209 Mountain Orcs: Azog & Orc Needlers     
There will be independent figures released :-D But will they be Finecast :sad:
507021730170205 Gandalf (Dual Sword)   

Read and copy the list before GW forces it's removal.
http://pastebin.com/9EC3qw3b

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
What does the leaked production list for 2013 mean in terms of the all plastic Rumor? :roll:
These could all be plastic sets :? Or Finecast :shock: :-X
502054111470200 Silvan Elves: Legolas & Mirkwood Fire Archers  
504019211470206 Wargs: Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves   
506007411470209 Men of Esgaroth: Bard & Greystreak Bowmen    
507010912070297 Adventure: Assault on the Barrows      
501061111470209 Mountain Orcs: Azog & Orc Needlers     
There will be independent figures released :-D But will they be Finecast :sad:
507021730170205 Gandalf (Dual Sword)   

Read and copy the list before GW forces it's removal.

I hoe plastic bould that list isn't the good one i think because all that sqtuff that's on that list will be released in june 2013 so that's late :shock: :shock:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:42 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I need to confirm I under stand the product codes.
Pl for plastic? and RE for resin? :?: :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cereal_theif wrote:
I have tins for uncompleted projects. I think Im up to 6 quality street tins.
THen i have 2 stacking boxes full of BNIB models I bought with the intention to "start a *** army" and never got round to doing it...

I think you will find impulse buyers and "I need it, I want it" buyers are more common than you think. Especially with the prevailance of teenagers (with parents who dont make their kids save up for stuff) and students (my loan came through today I'll buy a ....) and of course the "this is my hobby, if i were into golf i'd have spent this money on clubs" adults who will spend all their spare cash if they are tempted and justify it afterwards... and sometimes regeret it.

Not to go too much off topic but....
Army % complete
Mordor 90
Arnor 0
Harad 75
dwarves 25
Loth/mirk 50
Hobbits 0
Goblins 5
Gondor 40
High elves/riven 15
Rohan 90
Fiefdoms/dead 100
Wanderers 50

I have made big headway this year, finishing rohan, getting a lot of my mordor orcs done and some of my monsters. But I went out and purchased more plastic wood elfs and haradrim/umbar since I did not have enough to field 1k points.

The Hobbit releases will just crush any headway I make between now and then :(.