All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:57 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Advance Orders!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well for my opinion after having a good look, I cant wait, yes they are expensive but who else is making them! As some one else said, I will by it all but over a longer time.

To all the people who knock the sculptures, don't forget they are based on 28mm figure, dwarves so stand around 20, making the face around 3 to 4mm, and you can recognise them from the actors!

What a brilliant sculpt Bilbo is. Ordered the box set and the Trolls, over the next few months I will slowly buy the rest, bring it on!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

One strange thing I noticed on the Games Workshop pictures of the starter sets. In some pictures Bilbo is holding a walking stick and others, Sting. I had a good look at the sprue as well and there only seems to be the option for the walking stick. Maybe this will be a future release?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There's a bit missing in the sprue, next to Bilbo's body.
Probably thats where the extra sword bit goes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree that how some of us feel about the overall look of the new models is more to say to the look from the film than GW's delivery. At least based on what we've seen so far. We need to see the whole movie to know how well GW nailed it, but I think they do look like they match well. That doesn't necessarily mean they are liked any more though. I'm really not sure about some of PJ's decisions (Radagast seems more out of Narnia than Middle Earth, for example, and I still think a dwarf with an axe head stuck in his skull is just pathetically stupid). But that's not GW's fault.

As I mentioned before, the new Wargs look pretty good and probably still a good match for existing LotR armies (if scale remains true). Likewise with the Hunter Orcs blending into normal Orc armies. I think the new Goblins are going to have to stand on their own and I hope the misshapen look grows on me because it's just not grabbing me yet. We'll see after I catch the film next month.

The prices are the kicker though. Rule book is obnoxious in cost. And I will wait until the Company is provided in Fine Cast before getting them because there is only so much that can be done in standard plastic. But having said that the pics of the Company really do look great for plastics.

For the mention earlier that there was an uproar about the Warband change but it has now settled, keep in mind that Warbands didn't change how the game plays for the most part. It only changed how we build and deploy our force. Once on the table the long standing (and well balanced) SBG rules stood. I'm not sure how dramatically GW is changing the rules. I can honestly say that considering how far off the mark WotR felt from Middle-Earth (a fun system but with some significant thematic holes in it) our local players won't touch the new rules if they deviate much.

Having said that I will be happy to see some changes to some weak points such as making Monsters more competitive. We really need to see the overall changes and how it feels an if it's balanced. But $85??? Nope. We may just use the store copy or at best all of us kick in a few bucks for a copy for the group. $50 would probably get some takers. The gouging on the Warbands books (so much duplicated content) was bad enough that I think each of us only bought one and we swap around.

Despite my misgivings at this point from the production videos and pics, I'm giving PJ the benefit of the doubt that he will deliver a worthy movie. Likewise I'm going to give GW the benefit that they won't trash the SBG rules and balance an deliver a game that plays well and feels right for Middle Earth (if PJ hasn't changed our perception on that of course...)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Orc designs are growing on me, as these are meant to be more "wild" Orcs living off the land. They don't have the smithies and training that Sauron and Saruman had later in the age. I'll be ordering a set.

Some of the Dwarves don't have enough beard for me, but I can try sculpting it on. I'm not huge on the new Goblins' design, but I'll be getting them since they're in the boxed set. The terrain looks cool, but barring what I get from the set I won't buy any more. I'll simply use that as a guide to make some.

The White Council set is insanely overpriced. Especially for 4 minis that we have plenty of perfectly good versions of anyway.

The biggest flaw for me IS GW's fault: more power creep in the game itself. Why does Bolg have Fv7 and 3 attacks and wounds? Why are monsters suddenly getting such buffs? Admittedly the Good models haven't got their stats listed, but I don't foresee Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel or the Dwarves being much different. More S4 Evil warriors, a big, gribbly Evil Hero who outfights all but a handful of his opponents and more power for monsters, which are FAR more common in Evil lists than Good. Very disheartening.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi folks,

for many years I have payed a regular visit here to get some inspiration for my Lotr painting, and today seemed like a good day to join in :)
concerning the hobbit minis:

I dont know if more of you noticed this, but the profiles i viewed mentioned a 'size 1'. would that indicate that the hobbit mini's are not the same size as the regular mini's? Or is it just that a unit can function alone or should fight in a group..
I checked the difference between the hobbit elrond and a troll and they both are size:1 .. although the packages with greater numbers like the hunter orcs are 1+, any ideas ?

Cheers

Jelier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hello Jelier and welcome to The One Ring! :D
good to have you with us 8)

Jelier wrote:
I dont know if more of you noticed this, but the profiles Iviewed mentioned a 'size 1'. Would that indicate that the hobbit mini's are not the same size as the regular mini's? Or is it just that a unit can function alone or should fight in a group..
I checked the difference between the hobbit elrond and a troll and they both are size:1 .. although the packages with greater numbers like the hunter orcs are 1+, any ideas ?

I'm pretty sure even GW would change the scale of the models of a game which they seem to have stated is compatable with 28mm LoTR. I think its more likely that its some kind of new method of organisation.
:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I believe the number refers to the "unit size," as in some troops must be taken in multiples.

And welcome back to the One Ring!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I will definitely be grabbing the starter set. If nothing else the prospect of making an entire Goblin Town has got me thinking. I have no intention of buying the GW terrain expansions, but I am going to try to make it myself.

I like the goblin models, I just think the GW paint job makes them look simple and washed out. I can't wrap my head around dwarf's with tiny beards but as stated above I will most likely sculpt or convert some real beards onto them.

I will be watching the WIP section closely to see what great ideas are out there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Another video from GW, featuring the rest of the miniatures.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Is it just me or does Saruman look he's warming up for this moving performance?

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

MacGothmog wrote:

GW videos are all like bad workout videos...credits too long, music too loud, content too little.

They didn't even take the time to greenstuff the wrist...or maybe those are meant to be troll friendship bracelets. :roll:

(...grumpy today...)
:meh:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
MacGothmog wrote:

...They didn't even take the time to greenstuff the wrist...or maybe those are meant to be troll friendship bracelets. :roll:

:meh:

yeah I saw that too, pretty lame work by GW :? lots of the painting's naff too. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's because they have to show both options, a spoon/fork or a branch :) Most of the photography hides the seam ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It seems like GW has taken a new policy for showcasing models, which is lame painting and presentation on elaborate back drops.

I personally hate it it. I don't want to see a paint job that I think I can do. I want it to be over the top, so it is something to strive for. It is sad when the model casts are better than they have ever been, and they are being represented worse than ever.

I feel bad for the heavy metal team, since I know they can do better. It seems like since the new paint line came out, they have been told they are not allowed to mix paints or free style outside of the basic model lines.. Just look at the highlighting, its so over the top on some models its embarrassing...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Do all Dwarves have long beards?

Lord Hurin wrote:
More power creep in the game itself. Why does Bolg have Fv7 and 3 attacks and wounds? Why are monsters suddenly getting such buffs? Admittedly the Good models haven't got their stats listed, but I don't foresee Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel or the Dwarves being much different. More S4 Evil warriors, a big, gribbly Evil Hero who outfights all but a handful of his opponents and more power for monsters, which are FAR more common in Evil lists than Good. Very disheartening.

To be fair, I'm not convinced this is due to GW necessarily wanting to sell their new models. These models are all being released together and meant to fight each other in scenarios and such. Therefore the new Evil characters need special heroes that are a match for the Good ones. Not only that, but they need to surpass them, so it creates a suitably epic struggle that requires several heroes. GW's new cinematography style of gaming view, means that regular Goblins should be killed easily but the 'bosses' need to be a tough challenge.

I'm not saying it's the best way to go about it but it is understandable. If you're playing Evil, you don't want an endless swarm of weaklings while the Good side plays with heroics, you want something nasty that can strike fear into your opponent. Personally, I would rely on scenario special rules and not meddle too much with things that effect the competitiveness of standard games.

I disagree on Monsters though. I'm glad they have some special attacks. Now I can throw a few more Cave Trolls in with my Goblins. Once I've decided which variety to use...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok im seriously considering quiting collecting lotr. £50 for a rulebook!?!! I especially dont like the name "The Hobbit: An Unexpeted Journey" which suggests that come the next film there'll be another £50 rulebook to buy.

I think the models look good and all but the prices are getting seriously out of hand, anyone else remember when lotr was by far the cheapest hobby of he big 3??

Anyway thanks but no thanks. Im buying the Bretonnia battalion and some last lotr things this xmas then im done :!:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

After the new video, I am even more impressed than before. The sculpts are truly phenomenal. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Prices are still the major concern for me at present.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dezartfox wrote:
It's because they have to show both options, a spoon/fork or a branch :) Most of the photography hides the seam ;)

You mean to tell me GW can't pop open two boxed sets and do up one of each? They're even more miserly than I thought it that's the case!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next