All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if he had in the film or G.W. later release a unit of Moose Riders to back him up.

That would be terrible...no where in any of tolkiens books is it even hinted that elves ride moose. Stupid freaking boar riders (if it is true) are bad enough.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No where in the books do they mention camels. And yet we all accept giant spiders, wargs and Mumakil. I don't get why boar riders or elk riders is so far fetched. Would I prefer they didn't have them? Yes. Will I be mad if they do? No.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really don't like the dwarf boar riders idea either. It doesn't make to me sense because dwarves are a sort of allegory (I know Tolkien didn't like allegory but yeah) of stereotypical Jews and pigs aren't kosher. (also as a matter of fact I wouldn't like to have any sort of pigs in army for upbringing reasons)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SouthernDunedain wrote:
That would be terrible...no where in any of tolkiens books is it even hinted that elves ride moose. Stupid freaking boar riders (if it is true) are bad enough.

Got to agree with that, but the Hobbit has already lessened the appeal of this hobby for me…the movie, not the rules. I'm pretty OCD about completing collections sometimes, and PJ destroyed that when he envisioned the misshapen goblins of goblin town, and GW destroyed that when they made warriors of Dale equal Numenorians (despite the great sculpts). I no longer have the compunction to buy everything… freeeedooooooom! :) So there will be no boar or moose riders in my collection. If people want that, they can play Warhammer.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

whafrog wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:

Got to agree with that, but the Hobbit has already lessened the appeal of this hobby for me…the movie, not the rules. I'm pretty OCD about completing collections sometimes, and PJ destroyed that when he envisioned the misshapen goblins of goblin town, and GW destroyed that when they made warriors of Dale equal Numenorians (despite the great sculpts). I no longer have the compunction to buy everything… freeeedooooooom! :) So there will be no boar or moose riders in my collection. If people want that, they can play Warhammer.

I'm fine with the misshapen goblins, think of them as being what results from not having the direct rule of a powerful Maiar like the Balrog or Sauron nearby. As for the warriors of Dale, that's more a problem with the Numenorians, not them. Numenorians should have always had heavy armor and extra courage. The Warriors of Dale (Dalians?) are fine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Numenorians should probably of been strength 4 too.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have to say that I am on the fence with Dwarves riding boars, I don't think that its a good idea in practice but I might be convinced if they are cool in the film!

I wonder if we will get a model stag like the Dwarves shoot in the film? I hope that we get Elf Hunting Dogs!

Whats next, Sheep Riders of the Shire!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Next it'll be wargs riding orcs!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually a model Stag could be a side show moving objective that runs through the battlefield and is a bonus victory point for the side that captures and or kills it!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

black1blade wrote:
Next it'll be wargs riding orcs!

Actually that might be being a bit silly!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dwarves on boars? Has that been rumoured as an actual thing then?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Not more than 1. Billy Conolly said he arrives at the battle on a giant warpig. People are assuming he could then have a bodyguard of similarly mounted dwarves.

There's always the possibility that he was joking, there's also the possibility that he turns up to the battle on the pig, dismounts and then fights on foot for the rest of the film.

As always I'm gonna reserve judgement until I see the film, as some others have mentioned I don't think it's much more bizarre than other things we've seen that ARE canon. In fact, it's far less ridiculous than a talking purse that caches Bilbo and Dogs standing on their hind legs laying a table, two elements from the book that PJ has wisely, IMO, eschewed.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I for one am looking forward to battle boars because i f@$#%$@ love boars...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hill-Troll wrote:

I love bumblebees, but that doesn't mean I want to see a company of Mirkwood Elves arriving on them at the Battle of the Five Armies! Though I wouldn't mind a hymenoptera themed army for other game systems...

But back to the actually useful discussion. I'm mostly interested to see what they'll do with a starter set (if any), and then especially the book inside. If there is just going to be a seperate book with scenarios and profiles for new figures, the starterset would still need a proper rulebook.
As for other contents, Mirkwood elves seem to feature heavily in the movie (including outside Mirkwood), so those against orcs and/or spiders sound plausible. Two heroes to lead them seems plenty, so Leggy and Tauriel sound logical choices. Could even be a decent set, depending on the designs and quantity of figures.
Without a new rulebook and with (probably) disappointing sales of the previous set, they may however also not bother with a new starterset at all.. though I expect that such things are planned way ahead, before really knowing how well the other set did. Then again, contents for the starter can be released seperately anyway, depending on sprue layout.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As always I'm gonna reserve judgement until I see the film, as some others have mentioned I don't think it's much more bizarre than other things we've seen that ARE canon. In fact, it's far less ridiculous than a talking purse that caches Bilbo

I am so glad that was dropped by P.J. as its just Devlan Mud! Being honest. I am glad though of the special rule in the game. I think that he made the correct decision along with axing Tom Bombadil and hopefully as DrGrant puts it:

Dogs standing on their hind legs laying a table, two elements from the book that PJ has wisely, IMO, eschewed.[/quote]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Hill-Troll wrote:

I love bumblebees, but that doesn't mean I want to see a company of Mirkwood Elves arriving on them at the Battle of the Five Armies! Though I wouldn't mind a hymenoptera themed army for other game systems...

Actually Bilbo sings a song about the Dumbledores in the Hobbit book, which are giant Bumble bees, I was hoping that we might get a sequence where they are shown even if its in his imagination, basically so that we can get some gaming models.

I think that they could be potentially quite entertaining as an independent nuisance on the board! A bit like wasps when you are in a pub garden in summer!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Interesting to read about the change from 4-legged smaug to 2-legged wyvern-style smaug - I can see that GW would need to redesign their model, however I don't see that it'd make any difference for december releases, as I would have thought smaug would be something for later in the year anyhow.

Would like to see a new starter set, but something like "elves vs spiders" might be just a bit too boring for GW to want to make a box-set out of. With the change to 3 films instead of 2, its kind of hard to imagine what 'large battles' go on to make an interesting box-set that people would want to buy. Compared to LotR... there just aren't as many big fights that would pan out into an obvious high selling X vs Y box-set from what I remember of reading the hobbit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Would like to see a new starter set, but something like "elves vs spiders" might be just a bit too boring for GW to want to make a box-set out of. With the change to 3 films instead of 2, its kind of hard to imagine what 'large battles' go on to make an interesting box-set that people would want to buy. Compared to LotR... there just aren't as many big fights that would pan out into an obvious high selling X vs Y box-set from what I remember of reading the hobbit.[/quote]

I think that the siege/storming of Dol Guldur is going to be a pretty big fight! Also Dol Guldur modular scenery elements with a degree of customisable options would be my 1st choices, as much as I expect to see Spiders and Elves in Mirkwood, which I see being quite a fight with the Elven back lash!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bilbo wrote:
Would like to see a new starter set, but something like "elves vs spiders" might be just a bit too boring for GW to want to make a box-set out of. With the change to 3 films instead of 2, its kind of hard to imagine what 'large battles' go on to make an interesting box-set that people would want to buy. Compared to LotR... there just aren't as many big fights that would pan out into an obvious high selling X vs Y box-set from what I remember of reading the hobbit.

I think that the siege/storming of Dol Guldur is going to be a pretty big fight! Also Dol Guldur modular scenery elements with a degree of customisable options would be my 1st choices, as much as I expect to see Spiders and Elves in Mirkwood, which I see being quite a fight with the Elven back lash![/quote]

The only question in my mind at the moment is, will Thranduil get his Moose out?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bilbo wrote:
But, in all seriousness, I really want a model of Thranduil in heavy armour astride "chambourcy" his valiant battle moose!

Terrible joke.

I still laughed though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 51  Next