All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit New Rules
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:19 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Is that not akin to stealing, even if we are being ripped off?

I have a friendly relationship with my local GW at the moment. I may speak to them tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Amidst all of the confusion and frustration about the lack of information supplied in the mini Rulebook, you can add this kick in the privates:

The painting guide is available FOR SALE at the iBookstore for $25.99 (Aus)!!!

They pulled the same stunt for The Dark Vengeance box set. The guide for that (which I purchased and reviewed on the iBookstore) was hit and miss, incomplete, and only cost $10.00 (Aus). It has not been updated at this time, and was only released in October.

I'm completely stunned by this. I expected it to be a separate purchase, but at this price?!? How gullible do they think we are?!? I got my shipping notification this morning for the box set and I'm sorry I bought it now.

Those dregs of consumer confidence I mentioned in my last post have been completely drained... I was so looking forward to these releases and GW have completely sucked the enjoyment out of it for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Is that not akin to stealing, even if we are being ripped off?

I have a friendly relationship with my local GW at the moment. I may speak to them tomorrow.

It's not against the law to memorize something. Just take a look through it and say you want to see what's missing. You aren't making any profit from it, you aren't taking anything but knowledge of the specific points. You might want to ask beforehand, but I highly doubt they'll care.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fëanor, the mighty elf wrote:
The news about there not being profiles in the small rulebook is indeed appalling. :x
Apparently, they did include the stats for the models in the starters set in the seperate 48-page booklet. Why the heck did they NOT put the points values with them too? It's probably not like they needed the space for other stuff, it's not like it otherwise would have been 49 pages.. They just left them out for the sake of people having to buy the big rulebook, which in turn will make the small rulebook obsolete. So why even include the small rulebook in de starters set then? To make people think they have all they need to play? Only to find out that they don't.. Very welcoming to new players indeed.
There is literally no way to make sense of all this, unless they are just trying to grab more money.

You can still play the scenarios included with the box, just no points matches or anything. Very lame, but you CAN still play. It's like a decent stand-alone game almost.

@Bartelomeus: Forgive me for being a jaded cynic, but I highly doubt the average GW employee knows what's coming out in the next wave of Hobbit stuff for this movie, let alone the next. I wouldn't put it past them to just tell you what you want to hear. "Oh, sure the new book will be good for the forseeable future because the new profiles for the other two movies will be in cheaper sourcebooks! Now buy the expensive honkin' rulebook!"

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:03 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I figure that GW will release a sourcebook in about a month, AFTER most people buy the boxset and the rulebook, with the hopes that those people will also buy the sourcebook. They'll also most likely be counting on the fact that many people WON'T buy the $85 book after buying the starter set, but will buy a $30 book. We should know when the next WD comes out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

OK, i think I'm going to wait until the second film comes out and see what GW does there. Part of the reason I wanted to buy Escape from Goblin Town was that it included the rules.... I guess not. Oh well no biggie, I have plenty of other miniatures to work on.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm just going to completely ignore this initial release and wait to see if they release some new Dunedain rangers for my Arnor army.

I sort of would like the Hunter Orc infantry and Warg Riders, but at £20 for 12, £25 for 6?? No way. I also really like Fimbul the Hunter, probably my favourite named Orc Hero to date, but at £25 for 2 models ft & mt?? I really like the plastic Gandalf, as well as most of the Dwarves but I'm not going to waste £70.

I [i]want[/] to get the £50 rulebook, but that price is ridiculous. I still remember getting my ORB for just £30. Having to buy what is essentially a slightly updated ORB for £20 more just annoys me.

I also have no faith in GW to not bring out a second edition of the book for yet another £50 (if not £60) in just a year or two, shortly after the release of the 2nd or 3rd films. You might think it unlikely, with the HRB still being new after 1/2 years but I think it would be entirely in keeping with GW's recent acts of greed... (finecast. Halving the model count of boxes and raising the prices at the same time. Giving an incomplete rulebook in TEFGT box. White Dwarf's relegation from hobby magazine to glorified sales catalogue...I got this months issue yesterday, I was finished with it in 30 min).

I like some of the models, but I'm not impressed at all thanks to the prices. The GW hobby just isn't accessible or appealing anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord Hurin wrote:
Fëanor, the mighty elf wrote:
The news about there not being profiles in the small rulebook is indeed appalling. :x
Apparently, they did include the stats for the models in the starters set in the seperate 48-page booklet. Why the heck did they NOT put the points values with them too? It's probably not like they needed the space for other stuff, it's not like it otherwise would have been 49 pages.. They just left them out for the sake of people having to buy the big rulebook, which in turn will make the small rulebook obsolete. So why even include the small rulebook in de starters set then? To make people think they have all they need to play? Only to find out that they don't.. Very welcoming to new players indeed.
There is literally no way to make sense of all this, unless they are just trying to grab more money.

You can still play the scenarios included with the box, just no points matches or anything. Very lame, but you CAN still play. It's like a decent stand-alone game almost.

Sure you can play those scenarios, but the Goblin Town scenarios are in the 48-page booklet (or so I've read). And if they are as good as the MoM scenarios.. *sigh* Well let's just say then they're at most interesting for new players.
Also, the only scenarios in the small rulebook are the (reprinted) 6 scenarios from the 5 LotR army books. My point is not that you can't play any scenarios. Point is that there's no way to justify the lack of point values. This lack forces people to buy the big rulebook if you ever want to use them in a points match (which is, let's face it, what maybe 99% of all games are). But then the small rulebook will become useless again, since you now have the big one too!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm reading the rulebook that comes with EFGT and in the way has changed, the needed score to hit is now based on the type of object thats in the way.

Fortrification, windows, doors = 5+
Walls, rocks, fences and other models = 4+
Flimsy fences, bushes, long grass= 3+

So defending during a siege just got a lot easier, the attacker now needs to roll a 5+ for each attack to hit the defender as opposed to a 3+.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

From what i can understand there is something missinh in the new rulebook wirh the starter set? I am a completely new player, and have never played before. I was hoping i could have everyrhing i needed in that set? What does this all mean for me and my brother? (We will play the starter together)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Seerex wrote:
From what i can understand there is something missinh in the new rulebook wirh the starter set? I am a completely new player, and have never played before. I was hoping i could have everyrhing i needed in that set? What does this all mean for me and my brother? (We will play the starter together)

Doesnt mean anything for you and your brother, you can play all the scenario's that come with the set.

If you want to play with other models and put together an army you gotta use an army of a certain point value, these point values are not in the starterset.

So the starter's got everything to get you started, if you want to game on beyond the scenario's you'll have to buy the big rulebook (or a small booklet called a journeybook that might be released, but no-one knows if it will be).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Also worth mentioning: Spears can now support models with two-handed weapons and the to be released Dwarfs of Erebor warriors also carry spears.

Edit: Spears do not grant the supported model +1A anymore, the model with spear contributes an attack from his own profile.

Last edited by Bartelomeus on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dwarves with spears, nice.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looking at the rules, Thorin can have both Orcrist AND his shield, correct? The only thing is that he can't use Orcrist as a 2handed weapon, he still gets Orcrist's special rule, correct? I really want to give Thorin both, but just wanted to make sure before I gave his model both.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bartelomeus wrote:
Also worth mentioning: Spears can now support models with two-handed weapons and the to be released Dwarfs of Erebor warriors also carry spears.

Edit: Spears do not grant the supported model +1A anymore, the model with spear contributes an attack from his own profile.

That makes sense. That's how it should have been really, stops crazy characters with spear and pike support running through everything :kitten:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
Looking at the rules, Thorin can have both Orcrist AND his shield, correct? The only thing is that he can't use Orcrist as a 2handed weapon, he still gets Orcrist's special rule, correct? I really want to give Thorin both, but just wanted to make sure before I gave his model both.

Would be strange since you have to assemble Thorin with Orcrist OR the Oakenshield.. The book in EFGT says he has both, maybe someone with the hardcover can clear up if it's optional wargear or he carries both.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The wording for Strengthen Will makes me think that Gandalf can now cast it on himself! If so, he suddenly can be more amazing than ever, just spend the first couple turns casting it on him. However, Blinding Light now only lasts a turn unless you spend a point of might.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Did anyone else notice that Bilbo is nigh invincible (not invisible!) while he wheres the Ring? Unless a Nazgul or Sauron is on the field, he's not affected by the Ring other than to become invisible, rendering him nearly unkillable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
Did anyone else notice that Bilbo is nigh invincible (not invisible!) while he wheres the Ring? Unless a Nazgul or Sauron is on the field, he's not affected by the Ring other than to become invisible, rendering him nearly unkillable.

Doesn't that fit with the book though? At that stage, the ring was just a ring of invisibility. The threat of using it only became more serious in the LotR when Sauron was actively seeking it, and the Nazgul were abroad.

I can see how it blows game balance out of the water though...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
This might be a pessimistic feeling... But it seems to me that, even though the changes are little, all you're current tactics are useless.

That does sound like a new edition to me, not just an update.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next