All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:13 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Citadel finecast
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not a massive fan of the selection of models in the Finecast Fellowship, I liked it when there were two seperate Fellowship boxsets so you could either get them pre-elven cloaks or after elven cloaks.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:52 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well i have just bought my first Finecast models, a packet of Berserkers.

I also have the metal models unpainted to comapre. For £14.00 i got 4 models, detail is slightly better than the metal, better leg and arm sculpting, more detail of the muscle.

A lot of thick flash on the legs that needs a scalpel, not possible to remove with a "finger nail". Of most concern is the end of the swords of two of the models a piece of it is missing from a bad cast.

A Berserkers weapon has a "T" shape at the end, part is missing on 2 of them. Not worth taking back but i will repair it with green stuff.

The swords are also bent, so as with Forge World kits it needs to be put in hot water to soften to move into correct position.

If you have made any ForgeWolrd kits then Finecast will be the same, personally i prefer metal, but can see advantage on larger models. They did have the Mordor Troll Chieftan in Finecast, hope they redo the orginal Fell Beast!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They claim that you don't need to wear a breath mask whilst removing the mold-lines, but you should still do it in a ventilated area. Personally, if I ever feel stupid enough and have won the lottery enough times to buy any, I'll wear a breath mask anyway for safety. As for the amount of mold-lines they will and are worse than the plastic and the metal. All of the metal models will now be done in resin (although they have to work their way through). All of the prices are going up, according to GW because of a crisper finish on the detail (this is false. The new models will get crisper, maybe, but the current metals being done in resin won't be any better quality), despite it being a far cheaper medium. They have mentioned that it is a resin/plastic mix, but this may miselad some to think polycement (plastic glue) might work on it (in a reduced capacity or as normal), but it won't - they still need to be superglued.

Ultimately, it's GW's way of saying "We're big, so screw you", IMO. There have been comments made on their Facebook page stating the dislike of Finecast (nicknamed Finecost) and stating the myriad problems - this is on the GW page where they said they'vew had nothing but a positive response about it. Seconds after some people posted, they found their comments deleted. It simply reinforces my point - they do what they want and just don't care any more.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
the current metals being done in resin won't be any better quality

You are wrong, go and buy a packet and compare them to the same metals, the resin has picked up more detail from the original "green" sculpt. Don't dismiss previous comments with out seeing for yourself first.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hm... anyone that have bought can only critize...

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Whiskas wrote:
I'm not a massive fan of the selection of models in the Finecast Fellowship, I liked it when there were two seperate Fellowship boxsets so you could either get them pre-elven cloaks or after elven cloaks.

I don't like it either...what a weird selection of models to put in a boxed set for the Fellowship. It's very un-unified, and rather disappointing. The current complete Fellowships I own are from The Breaking of the Fellowship boxed set and the Mines of Moria. I was looking to purchase the original Fellowship boxed set for use with my Balin's Tomb display plinth--the Mines of Moria miniatures are just too low quality, too overworked, and too poorly painted. The Breaking of the Fellowship, besides Gandalf, isn't really compatible, with their elven cloaks. I see the original metal Fellowship is no longer available, and this new Fellowship set doesn't solve my problem. Ah, well.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ultragreek wrote:
Hm... anyone that have bought can only critize...

No you are wrong, just gain knowledge before forming opinions

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros - there's still quite a lot of Fellowship sets that pop up on ebay. Probably worth your while.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Went in to Maelstrom today for a nosey, turns out finecast is excellent quality. Fur and chain mail being the two most noticable improvements. Skin looks amazing.

Do I think it is worth it? Actually yes.
Maelstrom do Banelegions their own project that is slightly higher prices for similar scale models models to those from LOTR and are much better sculpts yes, but compared to nearly anything I've seen from the big commercial groups this is amazing quality!

I bought Suladan on his horse and the gems and armour and robes and horse.... WOW! worth £20?? hmmm the painter in me says YES the gamer in me says its £2 or £3 over priced.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So maybe their prices get low in some years...

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My review:
http://www.the-vanus-temple.com/?p=2479

I picked up the troll chieftain too, but he's at the shop still

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You know, this stuff has been announced for a while, some people have been able to get their hands on the models for almost a week now, I visit several different boards, including warseer, one of the largest and most active which has like a dozen threads talking about finecast, and this is the first post I have seen that has someone actually posting a picture of both the metal and fincast version of the same model for comparison.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I am impressed and I think I might treat myself to Sauron. Unlucky for gw though as I'll probably buy even fewer figures now; thanks to the extra detail I'll be spending more time painting each model :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The new models look beautiful.The first models I'll get are some Uruk Crossbows.
Did anyone notice the message at the end of the description that says that you can only buy 3 online?
Sad for me since I live in Mexico and the nearest Indipendent retailers and GW are a 2 hours drive away (3 if you count the time to cross the border). I guess this limits the amuount of non hero finecast models Ill have. :(

On the postitive note... 4 Models instead of 3! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Alzenrider wrote:
On the postitive note... 4 Models instead of 3! :D

At an increased price. It probably works out more or less the same per model as before though.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Actualy I like the extra model because I can now form companies withought having a model to spare, I actualy wasted time just staring at the left over model annoyed since I couldn't place him anywhere.

Though yes I did the math and its prety much the same. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here's a primed versio0n of both my metal and finecast Dante, I can certainly tell the difference:

And the stores either got 3, or 6 of each item, the ones that we got 6 of we were allowed to known loss and use as samples, display pieces etc.
THe reason for only three each is because of the amount of stock. They've had to ship this stuff out to EVERY store around the globe. Think how many stores are in the UK alone.. each store getting a maximum of 6 of each model, then the amount of models.. and then the ones for the websites, and the independent stockists. That's a LOT of models!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well Dezart, whats your verdict?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love it :D

Been painting up my Dante this evening, beautiful detail on things like faces :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think they look great, alhtough I don't need to buy any of the new models since I either already have them or don't need them.

Guys just saying the price rise has nothing to do with the resin, they just happened to come out at the same time. GW just decided to raise their price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU6NRHAWxcU

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next