PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:41 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

50 mm? That's a first.

Post subject: Re: July Releases
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yup, only kit currently to have one, which is annoying as the unmtd white warg will need a 50mm base aswell.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You could try and use magnets for that even though it will look a little funny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Interesting idea Balrog88, but I suspect that they are better for interchangeable tank turrets, and that you are right about it looking funny, particularly with a model of this scale.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Yup, only kit currently to have one, which is annoying as the unmtd white warg will need a 50mm base aswell.

How weird, I expected they'd stick it on a dreadnought base. I wonder if they plan on putting other things on 50mm bases come the new movie releases; they can't have made a whole new base size for just one mini.

Also it's a shame there's no unmounted version of the warg, I'd buy that in a flash.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You can't even use magnets to make Azog come off the warg as his legs are sculpted on to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That would be useful, but I shan't loose any sleep!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For 50mm bases, Well, Beorn in the trailer looks pretty big, bigger than a warg, so I hope his base is good size.

I am really hoping to get a white warg separate from his rider. There is nothing to go on for release history to know for sure. Sauron only got one model yet the balrog got a few, WK got a few, Gothmog got two on warg, two on foot and one death scene. So really I can only guess and hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sauron got two models actually, the Barad Dur version and the Necromancer version. There'll most likely be a third in a year or two.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Having bought the model myself, I have to say I'm so-so on it. The version on the game's workshop site looks absolutely amazing, but judging by the quality of the cast I got (or perhaps I was just unlucky, but a friend had the exact same problem), they had to sift through a lot of azogs before they got one with that kind of detail on it.

Even before a light undercoat I was barely able to see the majority of the cuts on his body, many of them were little more than inverse mould lines. After undercoating only the most prominent cuts have remained, most of them are not deep enough to spot unless you've got superhuman eyesight.

While I do like the whole 'finecast gives great detail' speech, it simply doesn't hold true. I had to heat up the wolf and bend it back in position because there was a huge gaping hole between the two halves (the legs would attach fine but there was a good inch of space between the two parts of the head) and most of the detail that I can see on their photo is missing on mine, washing the white undercoat only allowed a few scars to pool up with wash, the rest I'll have to simply draw back on myself.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds really annoying. I was quite miffed by the lack of detail on Bolg, literally where details have not been cast and have meant that there are many ares such as the claws that absent due to air bubbles, and hollow areas that are easily damaged. The fine cast issues are simply not confined to remoulding of old metal models!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just taken delivery of all the new releases, they all look good, got lucky I suppose. Azogs claw looks very fragile being so thin, guess he will be for the display cabinet and not for gaming

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just found out, mail order items will be sent out in plain packaging because you can no longer return them to the store for exchange or refund. You have to post them pack to GW.

I wonder if they are aware of the "Distance selling Act" consumer law that states the Seller has to pay for the item to be sent back not the buyer? Alot of companies ignore this law, only recently Apple has change to this method.

Also you now need a receipt to take anything back to the shop, in the past you could take it back to exchange if it was not unopened with out a receipt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think they will have a loss leader mentality to this. They will take the hit for a few but for the main part people will ignore this / not aware and fork out more cash. Thus the pennies keep rolling in....

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Harfoot wrote:
Just found out, mail order items will be sent out in plain packaging because you can no longer return them to the store for exchange or refund. You have to post them pack to GW.

I wonder if they are aware of the "Distance selling Act" consumer law that states the Seller has to pay for the item to be sent back not the buyer? Alot of companies ignore this law, only recently Apple has change to this method.

Also you now need a receipt to take anything back to the shop, in the past you could take it back to exchange if it was not unopened with out a receipt.

I am betting GW will not ask for some things back, it costs more for them to pay for return shipping plus the shipping you the replacement item shipping than the item itself. I am a little surprised by the "no return to store" thing, i guess there are just too many mailorder only items.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:29 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Harfoot wrote:

This explains why my Azog was in a white box whilst I could see two on the shelf in proper boxes. At least I still got the free doughnut anyway.

The last part is a little silly, what about when you order a model shipped to store?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Still comes in the white box.

Mid Sussex Wargamers