All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Goldman25 wrote:
I just figured that Azog was following their trail, and the Scribe sent a goblin messenger to find him. As its a movie, the unknown messenger found him with no problem, giving Azog an idea of which way to approach from, just in case the dwarves got away. I don't reckon the Scribe's message will reappear, or lead to anything else.

I suspect that if you are examining the film critically as if it was an historic work (which I think Professor T would approve of), the effect of the Scribe would be in delaying Azog, effectively being how much will you pay for Thorin's head? The great Goblin has him captured!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The more I think about a new starter set the more I thnk it will be like the TT one. There were not any named heroes in that set, just uruks and riders of Rohan. So in this set maybe we will just get a plethora of warriors and a generic captain or two. Although a plastic Azog would be nice. Something along the lines of plastic gundabad orcs ( maybe different than hunter orcs) and some plastic wood elf elite infantry. Maybe 24 orcs with Azog, or/a/an Orc captain(s) and 12 woodies with tauriel and or legolas. Throw in some scenery and there we go. I would bet that there is a limited edition too, maybe the plastic Azog.

I love speculation but I want some information. None of this would be a surprise as it was all in the film preview. I guess information in the journey book would probably give away spoilers, like who else is in the film from rules for those models.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

11 days till pre order's , Got lots to do... can i do it?

Strip 72 Warriors of Minas Tirith , prime , paint , base
Strip 72 Warriors of Harad , prime , paint , base
Strip 96 Mordor Orc's , prime , paint , base
Strip 14 Knights of dol amroth , prime , paint , base
Prime 18 rider's of rohan , paint , base
prime 4 sons of eorl , 4 rohan royal guard , 4 rohan outriders , paint , base
Prime 48 Uruk-Hai warriors , paint , base
Paint 12 Hunter orcs on fell wargs
Paint 36 warriors of erebor , base
Prime 24 high elves , paint , base
prime 36 galadhrim , 12 galadhrim guards , paint , base
prime 36 Easterling , paint , base
prime 2 ringwraith on fellbeast , + 2 trolls +1 drummer troll+ catapult guy + chieftain + mordor troll , paint , base
Finish my mumak i started when i was 12 , now (21) , prime , paint , base
prime 12 morgul knights , paint , base
paint azog , fimbul , bolg , base and sooo much more i do wonder what age i will when i finish this.

Considering i have i barely done 5% of this list in the last 2 months , i am well and truly on a "journey" , where that leads i dont know :D
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Assuming that GW do follow the trend and stick DOS in this December. It's possible - current rumours for the other games indicate a full schedule each month (WH FB Dwarfs have been plugged for January, for instance), so we might be in for a small release each month, rather than a month to ourselves.

And good lord you've got a lot to do. I thought I was stretching it thin by panic buying anything metal whilst it lasts, rebasing all my old LotR models to match the unified scheme I've used for the hobbit (which often meant at least a small amount of touch ups considering how terrible a painter I was when I did them - not that I'm much better now :D).

Right now I've just finished 24 Haradrim that were undercoated and in a box for the past six years or so and I'm waiting on all nine named Nazgul (a horrifyingly expensive purchase for the amount of figures I'm getting), plus some Rohan metals that should be due tomorrow. I've still got Easterlings to start, Third Age Rivendell to finish and then I'm in a position where I can say I'm 'happy' with my LOTR stuff.

By which I mean I've got at least 500 points for each faction, so if the game dies then I'm not going to be depressed, and I've hopefully still got a couple of years to expand them in quiet months for the Hobbit. Right now my only real regret is that I completely missed the Numenorean Archers and characters, which is a kick in the teeth because I'd love a Numenorean army. Even when the game goes bye-bye I plan on expanding the collection by doing my own version of Arnor and a wider variety of Easterlings and Southrons using Historical minis and conversions.

It certainly has been a hectic couple of months. :D I almost find myself hoping the Hobbit isn't out till January, to give myself another month to focus on The Quest for Metal (which should be an album title) before the deluge of new stuff shows up. How I'm going to fit in a Mirkwood army I don't know.

Good luck in your own quest, RefluentMonk!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

RefluentMonk, that is a large list but you are not alone, I think it is more common that you think. I have about 80+ blisters, 90 loose used models to repaint/convert, and at least 25 boxed sets (from the 24 model days as well as th Hobbit 10/12 packs), 3rd Mumak, all thecommand sets. And I still buy regularly more than I can paint between purchases as I am building up for the long years after GW calls it quits.

But I do not want GW to hold off until January, I expect small monthly releases anyway as there is not really a lot to put out no matter how you slice it for a whole year. The sooner we get started the better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yeah , at least we will be able to collect all of the Hobbit releases , seeing as the License ends 2 years after the the final film is out or thereabouts giving us that time to hoover up the remaining sets to complete the hobbit.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My thoughts as well. I am also focussing on getting (and painting) some of the older stuff. Miniatures of the Hobbit movies should still be available for some time.
And I also have a huge pile of miniatures to be painted. No matter what happens with the miniature range, I will get many more years of enjoyment out of them.
And as a final note, a saying I learned from a fellow miniature wargamer. 'Any miniature wargamer should own at least his own body weight in unpainted miniatures.... or risk getting struck by lightning.'
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

WOW! RefluentMonk you certainly have quite the task on your hands, but as Sithious has pointed out you're far from alone, in fact the only way I can deal with my own backlog is by coming on to this fine forum and realising that other gamers have it worse (better?!?!?) than me!

It's hard to keep track exactly but I attempted to do a stock take a while back and I think I currently have 363 SBG models painted and 503 models unpainted. Rather depressingly, at the rate I paint that lot will probably take me about 4 years to get done.

Assuming I don't buy anything else.

The only problem is I'm currently planning to get another 50 or so An Unexpected Journey models, and I'd guess about 150 or so models from the next two films so I should get all my SBG stuff finished in about 6/7 years time.

Then I've got a 3000 point Warmaster Empire army, 3000 point Warmaster LOTR themed Orc army, and another 1000 points each of Warmaster High Elves and Undead to paint.

Then I've got 3 Blood Bowl teams.

Then I've got an entire Dreadfleet set.

So yeah, all in all I reckon I'll have everything I own painted in about 10 years :shock:

If I don't buy anything else... :sad:

Back on topic the Tyranid rumours seem to have dried up entirely over the last week. 11 days out from a WD release it's really unusual for a big 40K release to not have, at the very least, a release/price list or list of information about what kits are being released, even if there's no pics yet. Of course it's not that unusual for such information to not be leaked for the Hobbit...

The number of posters saying there won't be a new starter yet is also rising, I think we should prepare ourselves for a DOS sourcebook and a bunch of new kits. It'll be a shame to not get a bunch of cut price elves/orcs/spiders/scenery but as long as the models and profiles are there I'll be happy.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:13 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I am building up for the long years after GW calls it quits.

Good plain. We are lucky it lasted this long. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

When will the new White Dwarf release? This weekend or the next?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

30th November 12.01 in the morning , you should be able to buy the White Dwarf in the morning considering GW stores dont open until 10.00 am , if you itching to know the new models its best to just check the pre-order tab in the Hobbit section at this time to hopefully see a HUGE list of new models :D
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The WD is released next week. Then any hobbit miniatures released will be out on preorder (I think) and be released the following week (I'm hoping the day of my birthday, the 7th! XD).

Oh, I can't wait. I. Hoping some more Thorin's company members are released :-D

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Christmas time is coming and Santa will be emptying his sack! Hopefully with positive results!

The countdown has begun!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So, GW has never heard of Black Friday? :D
I know, it is USA thing, but it would be cool if they made everything avail for preorder on Thursday 11/28 to take advantage of the biggest shopping day (online and off) of the year over here. Really what could it hurt? I am sure all the other merchandisers of Hobbit stuff are thinking the same way and would like to not miss out on the best sales days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The cheeky response would be that GW are blissfully unaware of anything outside their own halls, and would rather stick to their own schedule thank you very much.

The cynical response is probably that White Dwarf is basically a monthly catalogue, and no one would buy it if they already knew what was in it.

The speculative response would be that Warner Brothers have a tight lid on anything being released that might spoil THEIR tightly orchestrated release and preview schedule, and since they're the license holders, their word is law.

The bitter response is that GW have canned the whole lot of it without telling anyone, and there's sod all to announce.

:rofl:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's interesting to see the "Christmas Gift Guide" for all the unsuspecting parents , gifters , when what the individual really wants is the DOS new minatures that have yet to be released .... marketing ploy to sell of existing stock me thinks.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Creaky wrote:

The bitter response is that GW have canned the whole lot of it without telling anyone, and there's sod all to announce.

If they did that they would miss out on a HUGE opportunity to tap into the christmas sales period which as a business making profit would be suicide ( chance to make more sales then missed it... uh uh not going to happen )

And WB would not do this surely , it would also mean less profit for them.
The ONLY way i could see WB doing this would be if they calculated the profit for them from the sales of the GW new line "Hobbit" products was less than what GW pay for the license although i dont know the license arrangements ( one off fee for 8 year ownership of license for its Copyright on the Hobbit miniatures , or % of profits from what GW make from selling the Hobbit models , kind of like an endless but slow stream of profit rather than a huge fat bulk at start ) More likely the former from a business perspective ( No outgoing costs other than the marketing hype after the film has been released , then sell an expensive license to produce models. The buyer of this license ( Games Workshop ) have 8 years to recuperate the costs and turn a profit on the cost of this license... big losses dont look good on balance sheets.

So the possibility of Warner Brother's saying , " Right , no sorry gents you will NOT be selling any new "Hobbit" miniatures until we say so and that it fits into our Hype timeline of when the product is sold at the most optimal time" is im afraid still there.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bilbo wrote:
Christmas time is coming and Santa will be emptying his sack! Hopefully with positive results!

The countdown has begun!

Ah Santa the love child of rampant consumerism with a nice quaint touch of
happiness... he he. Santa is as "red" as the money in your pocket is "green" :rofl:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

RefluentMonk wrote:
Creaky wrote:

If they did that they would miss out on a HUGE opportunity to tap into the christmas sales period which as a business making profit would be suicide ( chance to make more sales then missed it... uh uh not going to happen )

And WB would not do this surely , it would also mean less profit for them.
The ONLY way i could see WB doing this would be if they calculated the profit for them from the sales of the GW new line "Hobbit" products was less than what GW pay for the license although i dont know the license arrangements ( one off fee for 8 year ownership of license for its Copyright on the Hobbit miniatures , or % of profits from what GW make from selling the Hobbit models , kind of like an endless but slow stream of profit rather than a huge fat bulk at start ) More likely the former from a business perspective ( No outgoing costs other than the marketing hype after the film has been released , then sell an expensive license to produce models. The buyer of this license ( Games Workshop ) have 8 years to recuperate the costs and turn a profit on the cost of this license... big losses dont look good on balance sheets.

So the possibility of Warner Brother's saying , " Right , no sorry gents you will NOT be selling any new "Hobbit" miniatures until we say so and that it fits into our Hype timeline of when the product is sold at the most optimal time" is im afraid still there.

I was mostly joking. :)

My feeling is that they'll be scaling things back since AUJ didn't do as well as they wanted (we could probably have told them that, since the only people who were even aware of it were GW customers, and most of them don't care). I'm betting a limited release alongside whatever is coming each month. Hopefully this could be a Supplement and some few minis (mirkwood, early film stuff probably) in December, with a box and some blisters each month after. That said, I'd definitely not be surprised if GW was told to hold it until after the movie release, to avoid spoilers and design leaks.

EDIT: In all honesty, the quiet could simply be because the leakers don't give a flying fig about SBG, nor do their audience. Still, WD should be leaked any day now, so we'll have a clearer picture then.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

EDIT: In all honesty, the quiet could simply be because the leakers don't give a flying fig about SBG, nor do their audience. Still, WD should be leaked any day now, so we'll have a clearer picture then.[/quote

I suspect that its more to do with a company terrified of paying financial penalties to Warner Bros!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 51  Next