All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well yea more usefull models, just another Gandalf, still he looks quite good as a model, despite his face as gw painted it looks a bit odd.. as for bard, heres a good chance for you make your lord of winterfell leader type (with wintry clothing and all)

As for lakeman, I do actually like alot the guards with bows posing more than the rest. I do like the guards more than the captain to be honest lol

Last edited by Galanur on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I dont know how anyone would have any interest in another Gandalf.....and the lake town models is by far 'someones' worst marketing idea out of them all so far.

They look kinda cool, but them being so low in points and skill, no way am I getting them.

Im probably going to get a Bard some day. Not sure though.

I want the Gundabads already and stuff from the next movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

laketown man for the cost an skill are ment to be as horde if you wanna make themed army or fill in units to counter expensive elves side or dwarves as they do nicely for cannon fodder while your elite takes out what you need, they do their duty just as fine, tie up stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In Euros, the new Laketown fellas are listed as 20€ - which roughly equates to about 33 NZ dollars.

But on the New Zealand part of the site they're listed as $50.

Is there a reason for this huge difference in price? It kinda seems unfair on us Kiwis if there isn't.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

yea cause youre in the hobbit country, seems lotro thing have more value there lol
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Now that I can compare them side by side, I must say that the Warriors of Dale will work as proxies quite nicely. I'll just say that they're so unskilled that they don't know how shields work lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galanur wrote:
laketown man for the cost an skill are ment to be as horde if you wanna make themed army or fill in units to counter expensive elves side or dwarves as they do nicely for cannon fodder while your elite takes out what you need, they do their duty just as fine, tie up stuff

No I meant a warband of them without a captain costs $100 and thats one warband for a horde troop. I get their use in game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Yeah I dont know how anyone would have any interest in another Gandalf.

I can understand why gamers would not have any interest but I actually have an interest in the new Gandalf. A near-future project for me will be a diorama/display piece portraying Gandalf arriving at Bag End in FotR and standing at the door. I think the new sculpt matches it perfectly so I will, contrary to my last post, probably be picking it up this month instead of Bard. He will have to wait a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bard is very nice. Prefer this one to the one in the DOS book. Everything else seems fairly priced, it's just the warriors.
Another Gandalf, but he's in a nice pose.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I really like the new releases and I will definitely get some of the heroes. Sadly the guards are over my budget :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I remember some people saying that there is lake-town scenery in the DoS book, the hobbit new release video on the GW website seems to further confirm this with obvious lake-town scenery used at a backdrop. Good news if true.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Frostfall wrote:
I remember some people saying that there is lake-town scenery in the DoS book, the hobbit new release video on the GW website seems to further confirm this with obvious lake-town scenery used at a backdrop. Good news if true.

Yeah that would be cool! Pitty it would be hard to have an army of lake town with it. :-X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really hope there's some kind of "Battle of 5 Armies" starter set come out with Orcs, Wargs, Elves, Men and Dwarves and maybe even Thorin's Company so I can get a hold of the Dwarves and the new rule set.

I'd like Escape from Goblin Town but I only really want the Dwarves and Bilbo, the Goblins are of no interest to me :(
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Frostfall wrote:

The scenery buildings in the background of the new release vids definitely looks plastic and does not look like anything that is currently out. Hopefully it will get released at some point!

On another note I hope that we don't get a new starter mostly because I don't wnat to have to buy another new rulebook.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bandobras Took wrote:
Yeah I dont know how anyone would have any interest in another Gandalf.

I can understand why gamers would not have any interest but I actually have an interest in the new Gandalf. A near-future project for me will be a diorama/display piece portraying Gandalf arriving at Bag End in FotR and standing at the door. I think the new sculpt matches it perfectly so I will, contrary to my last post, probably be picking it up this month instead of Bard. He will have to wait a bit.

Wow. Id much rather pick up bard.

I love combat units though haha.

Anyway, IDK man, I dont particularly like the pose. Its very good for that meeting though. Im just saying there are a ton of Gandalfs. I have the Rivendell one. Its pretty cool.

hollowcrown wrote:
I really hope there's some kind of "Battle of 5 Armies" starter set come out with Orcs, Wargs, Elves, Men and Dwarves and maybe even Thorin's Company so I can get a hold of the Dwarves and the new rule set.

I'd like Escape from Goblin Town but I only really want the Dwarves and Bilbo, the Goblins are of no interest to me :(

I would love that but I highly doubt they'll do it. They didnt even give us a Smaug one.

Frostfall wrote:

A gw employee told me back in November they were coming out with Hobbit scenery this year........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow. Id much rather pick up bard.

I love combat units though haha.

Anyway, IDK man, I dont particularly like the pose. Its very good for that meeting though. Im just saying there are a ton of Gandalfs. I have the Rivendell one. Its pretty cool.

I would really like Bard as well but that isn't going to happen for a while as nearly all my Hobby funds for the next 6 months or so will be for collecting any remaining LotR stuff I need before that is no longer possible, especially metals. Bar one or two I won't be getting any of the new minis for a while.

I understand completely that there isn't really a need for a new Gandalf but this pose just matches what I'm looking for. I was originally going to get the Rivendell Gandalf for this project but when I saw this new one I just thought it was perfect. So whilst it isn't most people's choice for a new release, I'm happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think people who are living in fear of GW losing interest for any further investment in The Hobbit SBG should consider the earlier mentioned 'last minute' split of the initial planned two movies into a trilogy.

The first movie releases would probably consist of almost everything that has been released until today. Anyway when you take a look at this list, that would have been a pretty impressive release. That is, with exception of the Laketown related stuff. These would most likely be among the first releases of the second wave (movie).

As the scenario's make clear the Barrel Escape scenes would have formed the end of the first movie. This places all lake town/smaug/battle of the five armies & assault on Dol Guldur - stuff with the (initial-planned) second wave of releases. These miniatures, together with a possible Laketown scenery box (like the Goblin Town Box from An Unexpected Journey), also make for a major release.

So, while movie-wise the choice for making the Hobbit movies into a trilogy gave us another movie to look forward to, GW had to spread their releases over another year..

This may feel kind of 'thin', like butter spread over to much bread, but in fact can't be seen as a sign of any malcontent towards their SBG from GW.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dark Istari wrote:
l I read an article about the Games Workshop yearly sales and it was mentioned that the decision to invest in middle earth once again has paid off for games workshop and that the hobby was selling well and had increased sales for the company

Amarthadan wrote:
Yes, I read that too + When I asked about it at our local GW they said the Hobbit is doing great for the moment and sales are growing with each month.

This is all great news, hopefully it's company wide and not simply anecdotal and continues for the next couple of years.

Dark Istari wrote:
How can they expect us to build an army of these [Gundabad Orcs] if they are all in Finecast packs of 3?

I assume they don't. If they are FInecast then much like the Laketown Guard I assume GW are seeing these as the elites of the Azog's Hunters army list and so don't expect people to be buying lots. It's just a shame as it seems a lot of people were quite keen on building up larger armies of these. Having had another good look at the DOS book it certainly seems there's only 3 poses of sword and 3 of Pike so Finecast seems the most likely - shame.

Gilcris wrote:
It would actually be incredibly cool (best of both worldsy cool) if plastic boxes of 10 were still released, then these small blisters of specifically-equipped guys were available for more economical topping off of warbands.

This would be great but sadly I doubt it'll happen, nice idea though, that'd certainly be a good business model that I, and I expect many others, would get behind.

orc-archer wrote:
I would advice/suggest a boycott on them to show GW our reaction however.

I think this is absolutely the worst thing we could possibly do and encourage others to do. The hobby is what is is and it costs what it costs. Of course each player has the right to choose to buy as much as they want from whichever supplier they want but the only way we can encourage GW to keep supporting this game is to buy their products. Trying to organise a boycott is a negative approach that wouldn't get us anywhere.

Yeah I dont know how anyone would have any interest in another Gandalf

I don't really understand this, SBG has always been a collector's game, in the first year of Fellowship everything was released in themed boxes with multiples of all the heroes, I don't recall complaints about there being to many Aragorns or Gandalfs back then. Sure, there are a ton of Gandalfs out there but what's the problem with having more choice? Several of the old Gandalf sculpts aren't available any more and this is the first Gandalf from the Hobbit range that allows you to buy him on his own. More models is surely a good thing no? It's not like because they've made this sculpt they HAVEN'T made a different DOS sculpt. I won't be getting him but it's nice to have a wide range, don't really see a negative :roll:

hollowcrown wrote:

Ha, one month into the new releases and we're already speculating about the next starter set?!?!? I hope there's one as well but lets ride this release for a few more months before we start all that speculation :lol:

I would love that but I highly doubt they'll do it. They didnt even give us a Smaug one [starter set].

Assuming they do make a Smaug model there was never the slightest chance he would have been in a starter set - it would have been prohibitively expensive and had very few scenario options.

If you're interested in the dwarves I've got the sprue in my trade thread, have a look and see if you've anything I'm after.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25680&p=322104#p322104

blackuruk wrote:
Frostfall wrote:

The scenery buildings in the background of the new release vids definitely looks plastic and does not look like anything that is currently out. Hopefully it will get released at some point!

Hmmm this would be nice, not sure though, I would've thought that it would've come out this month as part of the Laketown release? It'd be really nice and everything but I think it's probably more likely that it's just custom scenery made by the studio - fingers crossed though.

Apart from the obvious Finecast issues I like this release a lot, Bard's absolutely gorgeous and The Master and Alfrid are great, characterful sculpts, I'll be picking all 3 of those up. I think the Laketown Guard are absolutely stunning models too (particularly the archers), they're definitely far more detailed than your average warrior and, despite the price, I'll definitely be picking up a warband.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
 Post subject: Re: The December Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Laketown Scenery in the January releases video doesn't look studio made to me. It looks plastic and will likely be a set available at some point in the coming months.

Depending on cost and content, I could see myself picking this up. Of course, it will be modular like the Goblin Town scenery so multiple sets would be necessary to build a desent sized setup.

Looks like some houses and docks, at a minimum.

All of the models look fabulous, too bad I can't afford too many. I also think it's interesting that GW clearly put more effort into painting the Laketown Guard than Alfrid or Gandalf. Alfrid looks like he was painted by a child but the model still looks pretty nice.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Good post Dr.Grant
The has been a rumor around for a few months about a GW announcement in March. It may be good news for some.The rumor involves lower priced core kits. The bad news is 40K first. GW seems to have some investment to recover in Fine Cast. They will abandon it altogether for 40K and Warhammer new production. I do not know how much investment they have in Fine Cast already planned for the Hobbit. If you like the new models buy them. I do not think they will be around for very long.
Some of you mentioned a boycott. The decision has already been made for any kind of plastic release we will see in the near future. All that you will accomplish with a boycott is cheat your self out of a short run limited production model you may want. Fine Cast was a stopgap. It's days have always been numbered. I believe the decision to abandon it has been made. I am going to wait for them to dump the remaining models. We can debate snap-un-tight next year.It will be interesting to see if the new production decision was made in time to effect the new releases for Hobbit III :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next