All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:42 am

Post subject: 2 Hobbits?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK I was reading The Hobbit page on Facebook and it says that there are 2 movies planned to come out this year from The Hobbit and Tolkiens other works, So do you think they might make the Silmarilion or just make the Hobbit a 2 parter like Harry Potter?

Post subject: Re: 2 Hobbits?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The movies won't come out this year because production is set to begin in Feb. It will be a couple of years before we see the final product.
I think they plan to do The Hobbit and some of the story leading up to the Lord of the Rings trilogy in two films.
That production procedure is how they made the triology in the first place.
I think the Silmarilion is not even a consideration.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't know what parts of the Silmarillion you can include in The Hobbit. I heard rumours that they want to put in the siege of Dol Guldur in Southern Mirkwood into the movie, not sure if that's from Unfinished Tales. It would kind of make sense though because Gandalf took off from Thorin's company for quite some time and I think it is mentioned in The Hobbit novel that Gandalf was taking care of business with the White Council in southern Mirkwood. I know that Peter Jackson took a lot of flashbacks and story telling in the Lotr novels and showed them in the movies; Gandalf escaping from Saruman and his treachery, and the army of the dead taking out the pirates.

My guess is that they're going to end the first movie with the Eagles saving the dwarves or when they meet Beorn at Carack. Any other guesses?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They'll probably finish the first film with more of a climax. I imagine the first would cover most of The Hobbit, and conclude with the Battle of the Five Armies and the second would cover the assault on Dol Guldur and everything to do with the White Council.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Also the entire amon hen sequence was actually a flashback from the TTT so i think it would be great if they imputed that Mirkwood story into it.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Necromancer7 wrote:
They'll probably finish the first film with more of a climax. I imagine the first would cover most of The Hobbit, and conclude with the Battle of the Five Armies and the second would cover the assault on Dol Guldur and everything to do with the White Council.

I would be surprised if they did that. How much story is there to make the White Council a movie and why name it The Hobbit part 2? When the Eagles saved Thorin's company from certain death from the wargs and goblins that was climatic.

I remember when FotR came out people who didn't know Lotr at the time, including myself, found it abrupt how the film ended. There was a small battle, one member of the felllowship dies and the rest split up. Reallly that's the ending!? which was what most people were thinking. Because honestly I had friends expecting that the ring would be dropped into the volcano in the first freaking film, which wouldn't make sense because there's a part 2 & 3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Necromancer7 wrote:

Probably the other way around in that case as sacrilege83 pointed out
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've been trying to puzzle out what the second film would be for some time - the book the Hobbit could easily be made into a 2 - 3 hour movie imo.
But the Silmarillion is definitely not on the table. It would take at least six films to do it any kind of justice, and probably more like a dozen. I don't think that anybody would be willing to commit to that. Well, aside from Chris Evans, that is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No one is actually certain what the second movie is, except maybe the screenwriters, and maybe not even them! We've gotten many and conflicting reports as to what is what over the years.

Possibility A - The novel "the hobbit" has been split into two parts, maybe with a cliffhanger. Perhaps climaxing in the Goblin Town sequence. The second movie carries the story to the conclusion.

Possibility B - The novel "the hobbit" is filmed in one part, but there's a second part "bridging" the story of the Hobbit with The Lord of the Rings. Young Aragorn seeking the ring, maybe.

Possibility C - Something else - maybe a framing sequence about a young Aragorn meeting an old Bilbo, and Aragorn telling Bilbo of his frustrations in his mission and Bilbo saying "well, have I got a story for you" and then launching into the Hobbit. the last is far less likely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Necromancer7 wrote:

I would be surprised if they did that. How much story is there to make the White Council a movie and why name it The Hobbit part 2? When the Eagles saved Thorin's company from certain death from the wargs and goblins that was climatic.

I remember when FotR came out people who didn't know Lotr at the time, including myself, found it abrupt how the film ended. There was a small battle, one member of the felllowship dies and the rest split up. Reallly that's the ending!? which was what most people were thinking. Because honestly I had friends expecting that the ring would be dropped into the volcano in the first freaking film, which wouldn't make sense because there's a part 2 & 3.

I think ultimately movie speculation rarely tends to result in an accurate version of what the screenwriters had in mind, but I was more going off what I'd read when it was originally announced.

It could work though, the second film could cover the whole story of the finding of the Ring, the search for Gollum, Saruman's fall to evil as well as his treachery within the White Council and the assault on Dol Guldur. It would then set things up nicely for The Lord of the Rings.

Don't know though, I'm sure when they finally come out we'll all be miles off and wonder why we hadn't come up with actual storyline :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We were discussing this last week - in relation to which minis might be released first.
My thoughts were:

Part 1
Gandalf and Thorin meet up in Bree (as in unfinished tales)
Flashback to arrival of Smaug (possibly linked to background of dol goldur)
The stuff from the hobbit up to where Gandalf leaves the dwarfs and Bilbo at the entrance to Mirkwood (the party feeling all lost and rejected - good cliff hanging ending)

Part 2
The rest of the hobbit mingled with Gandalf and the white council clearing out dol goldur
Possibly finishing with gandalf starting to realise about the ring and setting aragorn and the dunedain to guard the shire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think it could be simply the Hobbit as in the book in two parts, with the White Council vs The Necromancer integrated into it at the parts where Gandalf goes off for a while. I think if it went like this the split point would be either before entering Mirkwood or as they float out in the barrels. That's roughly the middle of the book anyway. But all shall be revealed eventually (we hope).