All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:58 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: The Hobbit Advance Orders!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It's official! GW just released pictures for all the new Hobbit items coming out next month.

The Hobbit stuff is now on advance order from Games Workshop website and probably a store near you.

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Advance Orders!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Finally!! :D
The only problem is that GW is making the new goblins look awfully warhamerish. :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Again GW had nothing to do with the design of the Goblins . . . those designs are dictated by the film. I've ordered The ultimate package, plus another limited edition set. I can't wait, now just have to talk the wife into "letting" me open it before Christmas.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:58 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wait, you could afford nearly $900 dollars worth of minis at one time, and you're wondering whether your wife will let you open them early? How did you convince her to let you get them in the first place?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:09 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'll be getting the Escape from Goblin Town set and the Three Trolls from GreenDragon, which he sells cheaper, but I decided I have to paint my remaining Dwarves before I order anything. This way I'll motivate also motivate myself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I didnt like the goblins at all... and i cant understand why someone has to give 100 euro for the limited edition if he/she wants to buy the dwarves..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Very unimpressed by all of the new designs really.
I don't think that there is one that I actually like :no:
I think they all look really bad. The new white council doesn't look great either. The posing on Elrond is Awful, and they've changed the looks of all of them, and I think it's for the worse.
Saruman looks rediculous, Galadriel now looks like some Disney Princess, Gandalf looks like Santa in a bad mood and Elrond is looking at an interesting stone on the floor!
The Goblins look stupid, and the trolls look stupid and the Characters and the Captain also look stupid.
The Hunter Orcs are the only ones I find remotely interesting.
The Goblin King ... AWFUL :o it looks like a troll with skin disease
Some of the Dwarves don't look like dwarves, they look like men with beards.
Gandalf - looks like he's about to cry
Bilbo looks ok, but needed to be shorter and slightly stockier
Radagast looks like he's about to go paddling.
AS for the Wizard Staffs ... What have they done?!?!!?
Saruman's is the only one that looks as it should!

Overall, a huge disappointment. I am very annoyed. A total screw up :-X

Ithillien

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ithillien i cried when i read your review for the new range :P i am really rolling on the floor laughing :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

$85 for the freakin' rule book? Only 288 pages, seven scenarios (which they already admit that "some" are stolen from the LotR so we have them already) but oh wait...

...a gallery of Middle-earth, showcasing gloriously painted Citadel Miniatures...

That's better. About $30 for the rules and $55 for the showcase of gloriously painted Citadel Miniatures is a bargain in anyone's world.

I do think the new Fell Wargs look decent and would probably even go well with the original Warg Riders for some variety. Not sure about most of the rest. Elrond looks embarrassed to be associated with the rest of the WC. Can't say I blame him. :rofl:

http://TacticsInMiniature.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was trying to find Radagast in the Limited edition box but the onnly thing that came close to him is Gandalf.
So can you please point me in the general direction of Radagast in the box set?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just finished reading through the WD and ordering the set. I'm curious about the new power attacks for ALL monsters, (Barge, Hurl and Rend). Which supposedly makes tactics previously used against big monsters useless... In the battlerep the Goblin King killed Thorin in the first round of combat by hurling him into the abyss.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thecow wrote:
I was trying to find Radagast in the Limited edition box but the onnly thing that came close to him is Gandalf.
So can you please point me in the general direction of Radagast in the box set?

radagast is the crazy dude stepping on some kind of branches. He has a staff with a blue crystal at the end.
In the box set his pictures are right before goblins' pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bartelomeus wrote:
Just finished reading through the WD and ordering the set. I'm curious about the new power attacks for ALL monsters, (Barge, Hurl and Rend). Which supposedly makes tactics previously used against big monsters useless... In the battlerep the Goblin King killed Thorin in the first round of combat by hurling him into the abyss.

*preps Balrog for human killing* :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ithilien wrote:
Overall, a huge disappointment. I am very annoyed. A total screw up :-X

Have to agree, none of this appeals to me, except maybe the wargs. I hear Bolg has F7, it just doesn't bear up. The new monster powers sound ridiculous, I'll never get my friends to play this, I already have to tone down the corn when we play.

At this point I think I'm only interested in the armies, so I'll probably have to wait a year or two for any BotFA models.

I wonder, is the rule book just the rules, or some profiles too? Is Beorn in there? Men of Laketown? New Elves? If so I'll probably buy it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
Wait, you could afford nearly $900 dollars worth of minis at one time, and you're wondering whether your wife will let you open them early? How did you convince her to let you get them in the first place?

I have to utilize a series of arguments and of course bargain and deal. First argument is that getting the limited edition now is going to be way cheaper than attempting to find it on ebay two or so years from now. Then I rationalize that as we pay now during the holiday season, which we budget for, it will free up any expenditures in coming months. She then counters with, "if you get this then I get a new car." To which I smile and nod my head. We order them and then she says, "You know that you can't open them until christmas" :boo: :-X

On a side note, I realize I am "fanboy" but I really don't understand all the disappointment about the miniatures. One of my only gripes is that I dislike how unproportional the Goblin King's legs are to the rest of his body. I think the goblins look good, I will choose a slightly darker color scheme for them, but since they hate sunlight and only leave the undergound at night it would make sense that they were pale. Overall, I think it comes down to what ones primary interest in the hobby are. As a collector/painter I've been waiting for new releases for years. It seems a lot of the agita out there comes from the gamers who were happy with the rules and like often happens are fearful of change. Most were afraid of the warbands when they were introduced, but it seems now general concensus says that the changes were positive. I imagine a lot of the same sentiments will come as the game is released and people get to actually interact with the rules and the models.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I mostly agree with Ithillien. These sculpts are pretty poor and none of them particularly resemble their film counterparts (nothing about either Gandalf model strikes me as "Ian McKellen"). It's a far cry from the original FotR sculpts. However, the best of the lot, by far, are the dwarves imo. While some of the models are sculpted/painted pretty poorly, some criticism also must be levied against the actual film designs. The Goblin King just looks plain stupid--and so do the new goblins. Why don't the rest of them look more like Bolg? He looks pretty cool.

Is it just me, or are these products really, really expensive? Comparable LotR sets have not gone up in price alongside these new Hobbit sets.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The video from GW channel with all the new stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

While I'm unimpressed by the new rules for Heroes and Monsters I can at least choose not to use them. Ditto the new weapon rules. However, will points values for existing profiles be amended (in or out of the new rulebooks)? We wonders, precious. Yes, we wonders...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lol

Hatters gonna Hate

happens for every new release, im excited

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Come on guys, the new sculpts are EASILY the best they've done in years, especially the faces and the details. But it all looks very cartoonish and warhammerish, for which WETA is to blame, not GW. GW did a great job at sculpting and I think the dwarves look nothing short of amazing, along with both the new Gandalfs. I would love to see the size difference between these goblins and the misty mountains goblins. (They live not so far from eachother..)

Too bad I won't be able to afford any of this, I would've loved my litte guilty pleasure after all these years, but not with prices through the roof like this. Is anyone ACTUALLY spending €60 euros on 4 miniatures?:/ (White Council)

That's just plain wrong. I can sort of understand 35 euros for the wargs, 40K has had pricing like that for years and years, but the hobbit should really be aiming at kids, and I don't see how kids can afford all this. "Hey daddy I want the white council!" If I were a daddy, I wouldn't exactly agree with that. :/

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next