All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:36 am

Post subject: Creative Assembly Partnership with Gamesworkshop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, so this isn't related to Lord of the Rings or miniature wargaming but it is pretty big Gamesworkshop news.

The Creative Assembly, the developer behind the Total War series of strategy PC games (Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Empire and Napolean) are partnering with Gamesworkshop to produce games based on the Warhammer franchise.

Quote:
SEGA and Creative Assembly Announce Partnership with Games Workshop to Create Warhammer Games

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – 11AM GMT, December 6, 2012 – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.

A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.

“With this year being our 25th anniversary”, said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”

“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”

"We have enormous respect for SEGA and Creative Assembly and have felt for a long time that the combination of the enormously rich setting of the Warhammer world, and their stunning development talent is a match with huge potential,” said Jon Gillard, Games Workshop’s Head of Licensing. “Now that we’ve managed to bring these two giants of gaming together it is safe to say that some truly amazing products are going to be unleashed as a result. We are excited at the possibilities, and are enthusiastically working with the team at Creative Assembly already.”

This first Warhammer game joins the eagerly-awaited Total War™: Rome II and the untitled Alien IP as one of five projects currently in production at Creative Assembly, now one of the largest developers in Europe.

For future updates and career opportunities please visit http://www.creative-assembly.com.

Looks like can expect Total War: Warhammer or something in the same spirit. :D

Last edited by Pindergorn on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Creative Assembly Partnership with Gamesworkshop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

WHF: Total War...that would be awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That would be amazing, I wonder if we could ever expect a LotR or Hobbit version. I've never played the existing battle games, they look...lame by comparison.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whafrog wrote:
That would be amazing, I wonder if we could ever expect a LotR or Hobbit version. I've never played the existing battle games, they look...lame by comparison.

There is a LOTR mod for Rome:Total War, really outdated but still fun :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There is also a LoTR mod for medieval 2. A lot off effort has gone into it you can tell. It recently received another major patch.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'll have to check that out, but a full campaign for different time periods would be amazing.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's a great mod, a little unbalanced in areas but you really get into the world of late third age. Personally, I like pre TA1600.

A warhammer total war would be good fun, but as with all total war games, the true enjoyment comes out of the really creative modding.

A LOTR RPG mod of Skyrim recently got a cease and desist from Warner Bros... such a shame. A fan made mod would have been epic...

A good forum to take a look at if you like these games, strategy generally and the LOTR universe is http://www.forumgaming.com Completely free fan forum based gaming. There are some RPG based games going on at the moment and I'm developing our fourth LOTR TA1600 strategy forum game. If anyone is interested, I put a post in the other games forum!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Got a link to the latest mod and any patches for it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fire me a pm when you're next online and ill send over a link. Last thing we want is them getting a cease and desist!