All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:19 am

Post subject: GW Digital products?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I haven't seen this before, it looks like some great possibilities for the future:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =22200010a

I noticed an Escape from Goblin Town painting guide in there, maybe more to come? Sign me up!
 Post subject: Re: GW Digital products?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I love going digital but I have a problem paying printed book prices for digital books.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You have to pay for something we used to get for free....wow, I thought the point of the internet aka going digital meant free information for all. What's next digital armies? You paint them in photoshop, then play other people, but you still need a 4 x 8 table at home made by GW or you won't be allowed to download them
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Curufinwë wrote:
I love going digital but I have a problem paying printed book prices for digital books.

I don't mind so much if the FAQ are automatically added so I'm not having to still carry a hard copy of that as well, though a price drop for something that costs them nothing would be nice.

The thing that would REALLY get me in though is if there was an option to use it on my android tab and phone, like using amazon ebooks instead of ibooks which only works on idevices.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SMORG wrote:
Curufinwë wrote:

I don't mind so much if the FAQ are automatically added so I'm not having to still carry a hard copy of that as well, though a price drop for something that costs them nothing would be nice.

The thing that would REALLY get me in though is if there was an option to use it on my android tab and phone, like using amazon ebooks instead of ibooks which only works on idevices.

Good point I don't own any idevices as I despise Apple slightly more than microsoft. I have to agree it should have been released in epub so that it can be read on most devices.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you look at the bottom of the Throne of Skulls pack it mentions digital source books for Lord of the Rings. It may just be for completeness though.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The thing is that if they make products available digitally, piracy is much easier.
But also less weight if you have to carry all those books around.
(rulebook + codex/sourcebook + perhaps some sheets)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

imrail wrote:
The thing is that if they make products available digitally, piracy is much easier.

I don't think it's a major factor. I play a role playing game, World of Darkness, and they've gone all digital with some titles available also as POD (print on demand). Each PDF gets stamped with a digital watermark, which makes it easier to track down than if someone scanned the rulebook.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I buy digital magazines and they are cheaper, I will not pay the same price as GW want you to do, its a no brainer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Harfoot wrote:
I buy digital magazines and they are cheaper, I will not pay the same price as GW want you to do, its a no brainer

But the WD isn't cheaper and the other digital products aren't cheaper neither.

And I guess that the poster you get with the physical edition isn't included in the digital edition as a wallpaper of some sort.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

imrail wrote:
Harfoot wrote:

And I guess that the poster you get with the physical edition isn't included in the digital edition as a wallpaper of some sort.

You read it the wrong way, I don't but GW digital products because they are not cheaper.
Lots if other magazines are cheaper to buy digitally, so I do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Harfoot wrote:
imrail wrote:
Harfoot wrote:

You read it the wrong way, I don't but GW digital products because they are not cheaper.
Lots if other magazines are cheaper to buy digitally, so I do.

No I did understand you correct, it was a general remark that there is no price difference in the WD.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes it is crazy, most other mags digitally are around 25% cheaper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I got the Arthurian/Dark Age complete ruleset "Dux Bellorum" on my Kindle Fire through the Kindle store for just £8. Sadly it seems that neither GW nor many other wargames magazines and books are available (No Wargames Illustrated etc).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree that anything made available digital should be in a device independent format and should have a reasonable reduction in price or there is no interest. PDF is the great equalizer.

If they don't count the cost of printing, shipping and stocking you can sell electronic media much cheaper and still have the same profit margin or greater. Print on Demand is another similar option consumers can use. Piracy will exist in any format (many GW books can be found in scanned format online as is) but most people don't mind paying a reasonable price for something of quality. If the book is quality and sold at a reasonable price (say, $15 for the new warband books compared to their $25 physical version) I believe many people will pay it if they want a digital copy. But if they don't make it available at all, or make too close to the cost of the physical copies, or keep increasing the price of hard copy materials (or both!!) then they are just promoting an underground distribution network to thrive.

Publishers are going thru a similar challenge that faced music a few years ago. The sooner they adapt to the demands of the consumer the less pains they will suffer. I know a few authors that have embraced the ebook and POD options ((and reasonable prices) and have seen dramatic increases in their audience as a result. None of expressed much worry that some copies of their work are more easily shared now because by nature most people don't mind paying a creator a reasonable price for their creation.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com