All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:44 pm

Post subject: Games Workshop CEO steps down.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't see another thread for this. It may not mean a damn thing, but conversely it could signal a change in direction.

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2013/01/18/68594/

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: Games Workshop CEO steps down.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Its true, read all about it ....

http://investor.games-workshop.com/2013 ... es/#more-'

Link to the Investor relations page on GW web site

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmmm this looks interesting. Hopefully the new guy will think of other strategies than "Pack six plastics in a box and charge 18 quid" and "Give 'em a blob of misshapen resin and say its a perfect model" But GW have been like this for a while, building it up over the years... I'm a little skeptical of change now.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Short profile of Mark Wells

Mr. Mark N. Wells has been the Chief Executive Officer of Games Workshop Group plc since December 3, 2007. Mr. Wells held various management roles with Next PLC and Boots Group PLC,, including Director of Customer Service, Boots The Chemists and Director of Merchandise and Marketing, Boots Stores, Netherlands. Mr. Wells joined Games Workshop in May 2000 as director of strategy and planning. He has been an Executive Director of Games Workshop Group plc since December 3, 2007. He qualified as a solicitor with Messrs Herbert Smith. Mr. Wells holds an M.A. degree in Law from St Johns College, Cambridge (Exhibition) and, MBA from Sterling University.

Source is
http://investing.businessweek.com/resea ... ker=GAW:LN

Seems he was a "retail" man. I guess the GW direction will stay the same under the influence of Tom Kirby.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You never know, this could signal a much needed price drop. With video games getting cheaper and cheaper (and more accessible) competition is tough, i really don't wanna see GW shoot themselves in the foot even more.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Isn't Tom Kirby the name of the character from Jurassic Park 3? Kirby enterprises, haha
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
With video games getting cheaper and cheaper (and more accessible) competition is tough, i really don't wanna see GW shoot themselves in the foot even more.

Ain't that the truth. Loaded up my PC during the holiday Steam sale. :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good riddance. I think he was running GW into the ground. Sadly, I don't think a change in leadership can prevent that now, its far too late. But maybe it'll prolong the inevitable.

+1 to the points on video games and steam sales, I loaded up on video games too (entire Grand Theft Auto collection for £5, Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition for £5. Sadly I can't download ANY of the dlc...)

The only reason I persist with GW's miniature wargames is because I love the LOTR. If someone introduced me to GW now, at todays prices I would not bother with GW and go buy a games console or pc instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes the steam sales do have me spending money there instead of on my other hobbies. I myself have just recently gotten into LOTR SBG (I purchased my first LOTR miniatures a little over a year ago and those where the old 24 packs of Last Alliance and Mirkwood Elf Warriors hanging around on the shelves). The funny thing is, after looking at the sculpts for some of the units and the price has driven me into an odd direction. I've recently ordered the tools to start sculpting and want to try my hand at making my own miniatures.

I know sculpting isn't something you can just jump into and do well right off the bat, it will take time and practice but hey I think it might be really cool to make my own Gondolin army, units of Axe wielding and Hammer toting Elves of the first age as roughly described in the Unfinished Tales. Of course I will need to create house rules for them but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

But I do think that GW has made a good gaming system and in the mean time I will be purchasing Elrond, Lindir, and several packs of Rivendell Knights. If I actually make anything presentable I'll post it here and see what what people with real talent think.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think we'll be able to evaluate the new CEO in about a year's time. I wonder if he'll change things.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Hmmm this looks interesting. Hopefully the new guy will think of other strategies than "Pack six plastics in a box and charge 18 quid" and "Give 'em a blob of misshapen resin and say its a perfect model" But GW have been like this for a while, building it up over the years... I'm a little skeptical of change now.

If the comments on the article's replies are to be believed then it's the "new guy" that initiated the change.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No! Out of the frying pan...........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I just hope the new guy turns the slide.

Yes we are always going to see price increases on certain products if the cost of fuel keeps going up. But it would be nice if they start to address the price increases on other products. Especially in relation to the hobbit minis because our minis are the only ones which are not multipart-multioption-multipose as standard and yet we pay very similar prices per model.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

from the daily mail

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Tom Kirby is still in place and many have voiced the opinion that he was instrumental in the GW game design and pricing strategy. Until he goes, there may be no change, or the 'new guys' might still feel obliged to honour the shareholders far above the customers requirements. GW appears to be locked into a mindset. That is dangerous. Read the headlines about HMV, Jessops, Blockbuster and others who appeared to be locked in an old business model. I want GW to survive but not in the current form. It has priced me out of, and/or micro-mismanaged the rulesets 2 of its 3 main lines (I always hated Warhammer) so I spend most of my hobby cash elsewhere.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hopefully this will signal a shift towards bringing the hobby side of thing back. Better value for money and decent articles is not too much to ask. I suppose they should scrap that whole warbands 12 troops per box excuse, even though I don't play with anyone other than my kid brother using 2005 rules.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nah Warbands is fine. We just need heroes to cost around £10 for foot or £18 foot and mount. (notice you save £2 by buying 2 models... i know it sounds crazy but maybe GW might figure out the phrase "buy more pay less"

What I really want to see the end of is "one click collections" If I'm bulk buying then give me a discount... even a £5 saving on a £100 product would convince me that perhaps its worth thinking about
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd like to see a pricing change and a change to the way they release updates. having to pay $140 Australian to buy a rule book for a game you already own is over the top.

I could go on and on but I'll stop there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Prices will never go down- wishful thinking entirely.
It's completely against how GW works- if you lower prices then it implies that the product isn't worth as much as what was charged previously- it's also unfair on those who buy stuff and then find out it's cheaper the week after.

We may at some point see a price freeze, but never a price drop.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lorizael wrote:
Prices will never go down- wishful thinking entirely.
It's completely against how GW works- if you lower prices then it implies that the product isn't worth as much as what was charged previously- it's also unfair on those who buy stuff and then find out it's cheaper the week after.

We may at some point see a price freeze, but never a price drop.

I agree.. I don't think GW's prices will ever go down... perhaps new products might be more reasonable or a price freeze might happen as Lorizael suggested but otherwise methinks not.