It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:17 pm

Post subject: GW's new policy leads to shutdown of MWG store
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... nPpfs120DA
 Post subject: Re: GW's new policy leads to shutdown of MWG store
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:28 am 
Ridiculous...they shoot them self in ther own knees over and over again for the sake of short term profit! I seriously hope they gonna have serious financial problems very soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well I guess Privateer Press is coming for their heads and I guess maximum in a 6-9 years they might get GW's head on a stake.

Instead of helping small businesses which sell their stuff to grow and attract new costumers they are doing the exact opposite they want everything for themselves

LOL just heard from this video that GW shut down their facebook account due to negative comments and that they don't allow any comments on their youtube videos. Once again GREAT JOOB GW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Soo very sad to see, like lord of the nine said GW should be embracing small retailers and working together for the benefit of the consumer who hand over their hard earned for this stuff.

Soo much greed in the world it's quite sad really.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
I really hope GW are happy with what they've achieved here.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I saw this this morning. GW keep pushing people away, not drawing people in. They have no real advertising, their product lines are not as good as they were 5 years ago, the White dwarf magazine sucks, they don't want people to comment on their stuff, but they wont take any feedback. They are alienating their audiences and they are way too greedy for their own good.

Bioshock came out for 99 dollars here in Australia. You can now buy it for 14 dollars. GW's plastic set prices start at 15 dollars for 24 minis in 2001 and then its now 37 for 12 minis its so ridiculous. I think GW products only really have a future on eBay.

You make awesome Lord of The Rings stuff, but when you can buy all the extended editions of all 3 movies for less than 4 finecast figures (thats right i'm looking at you White Council), thats when it gets ridiculous.

Its just not funny when it means really awesome stores have to close down because of its policies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^ Agreed ^

GW are just digging their own grave... I only hope that they sell all their assets to a sensible, feedback receptive company before they go bust.

Man this makes me hate GW SO much :shock: :-X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I watched this via Beasts of War. At some time in the maybe not so distant future, GW's policies may cause the fan base to reach what scientists call a 'tipping point'. If it gets to there, GW will end up in very deep financial trouble. Let's face it, there are a lot of alternatives out there, so if GW keep pricing high (and higher) and continue restricting access to alternate sources of discounted minis, they will drive people away or discourage others from even taking up GW's games. Privateer and many others could benefit. Historical gaming could benefit - look at what Victrix, Warlord Perrys and others offer at considerably lower unit cost than GW in the same 28mm scale!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, I can tell you that members of my group (we are in the top 5% of income earners for the most part) have only purchased one or none of the hobbit releases. Averaging near $3 for an unassembled plastic figure or more than 5x that for a resin one makes all of us laugh and say no thank you. We all have LoTR armies and we all fondle the hobbit ones but put them back on the shelf. Our entire group has started playing Dystopian Wars twice a month, Spartan Games offers starter boxes that are playable right off the shelf for under $60 and the rules are $30. Quite a fun game. GW used to have starter boxes with rules for that price. Now the rulebook ( and a poorly executed one at that ) is $80. I just purchased 20 multipart metal minis for $50. I have a hard time believing that the licensing for the hobbit would cause 20 multipart plastic minis to be 40% more than 20 metal ones. The metal one have 6 variants while the hobbit ones have 10. Big deal.

I really like the men of dale, the hunter orcs and the resin radagast. Not worth the money though. Eagles were my last purchase and EfGT was my last requested gift. There will need to be some significant changes or some more perceived value for my dollar before I, or most of my gaming group really, change that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I tried clicking on the links they provide but they don't seem to be working.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow. This is another nail in GW's coffin.

But, some good news. Miniwargaming is giving away free dvd's of painting tutorials. Check it out! There's only 790 left, so act quickly. (This sounds like an infomercial :o )

http://www.miniwargaming.com/freedvds
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GW’s obituary may mirror the description of a type of star known (rather fittingly) as a White Dwarf – ie the final state of a dying star that once enjoyed a long lifespan burning brightly as if its fuel would continue indefinitely, but which eventually puffs up into a bloated shell as it consumes its own waste in a desperate attempt to maintain its size, and then eventually runs out of fuel and collapses back into a slowly dying remnant getting progressively dimmer.
Interestingly I popped into our nearest independent store / game club a couple of weeks ago. It was interesting to see how many non-GW products are really out there and to see people actually playing them at the gaming tables. It was also interesting that the staff describe the Hobbit SBG as “a bit of a flop”.
I’d welcome other people's recommendations for other games as alternatives to GW – I’m quite drawn to the steampunky/gothy universes of Warmachine and Malifaux, for example.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I just registered for MWG's vault with a bronze membership. The content so far seems well worth the cost! It's a shame that GW pursues such policies. It discredits the hobby to newcomers.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
I watched this via Beasts of War. At some time in the maybe not so distant future, GW's policies may cause the fan base to reach what scientists call a 'tipping point'. If it gets to there, GW will end up in very deep financial trouble. Let's face it, there are a lot of alternatives out there, so if GW keep pricing high (and higher) and continue restricting access to alternate sources of discounted minis, they will drive people away or discourage others from even taking up GW's games. Privateer and many others could benefit. Historical gaming could benefit - look at what Victrix, Warlord Perrys and others offer at considerably lower unit cost than GW in the same 28mm scale!

GW has already pushed me away. I'm now working on a Historical Anglo-Saxon / Anglo-Danish army using great models from Gripping Beast, Musketeer Miniatures and Wargames Factory (ok, WGF...not so much).

I plan to eventually play Gripping Beast's skirmish game SAGA (written by Tomahawk Studios), Dux Bellorum and the free wargame available on the interneet - Age of Blood 2.0. And because I'm a cheeky git who wants to give GW the finger, I'm going to keep playing the SBG using my Anglo Saxons as either Rohirrim or using houseruled profiles.

elliodoc wrote:
I’d welcome other people's recommendations for other games as alternatives to GW – I’m quite drawn to the steampunky/gothy universes of Warmachine and Malifaux, for example.

Miniwargaming are starting up their own Sci Fi game, Dark Potential. Some of the miniatures are quite nice, though the range is very limited at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
It is astonishing how many people in this thread have stated an interest in playing other gaming ranges. I think this move is it. This will be the tipping point. After the news I had a crisis meeting at Green Dragon and phone calls with a few other major European suppliers, we won't stand for it much longer. Whilst I'm not at liberty to divulge any intended actions at this stage (because its not been decided) I CAN confirm that for Green Dragons part we are now looking to have at least 3-4 other ranges on the site by summer, Flames of War - Infinity Minis, Gripping Beast etc etc. Nothing is confirmed but we're working almost around the clock to provide alternatives so the hobby in general may still survive.

Thats my part in this story, read into it what you will but I think we're watching history unfold here folks!

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

greendragon wrote:
It is astonishing how many people in this thread have stated an interest in playing other gaming ranges. I think this move is it. This will be the tipping point. After the news I had a crisis meeting at Green Dragon and phone calls with a few other major European suppliers, we won't stand for it much longer. Whilst I'm not at liberty to divulge any intended actions at this stage (because its not been decided) I CAN confirm that for Green Dragons part we are now looking to have at least 3-4 other ranges on the site by summer, Flames of War - Infanty Minis, Gripping Beast etc etc. Nothing is confirmed but we're working almost around the clock to provide alternatives so the hobby in general may still survive.

Thats my part in this story, read into it what you will but I think we're watching history unfold here folks!

Stock Gripping Beast's Dark Age SAGA range Saxons and Vikings etc, and you will have a new and enthusiastic customer. :-D You should also consider Musketeer Miniatures, they have some great early Dark Age miniatures and they work closely with Gripping Beast (who handle orders on their behalf).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

King Ondoher wrote:
I plan to eventually play Gripping Beast's skirmish game SAGA (written by Tomahawk Studios), Dux Bellorum and the free wargame available on the interneet - Age of Blood 2.0. And because I'm a cheeky git who wants to give GW the finger, I'm going to keep playing the SBG using my Anglo Saxons as either Rohirrim or using houseruled profiles.

Way to go... You don't have to support everything GW does, just because you love Middle-earth... They have some models I really want, and I will buy those despite the prices but I'm not dependent on every new release and thousands of ridiculous special rules to make my games stay enjoyable... Since so much of Tolkien's works is influenced by English and European history, there are plenty of historical ranges and even some fantasy ranges (like WF's Angus McBride orcs) that can be used to amend your collection. Ruleswise there are many alternatives as well...

For large scale battles you might try the Impetus rules (which is a great looking game: http://blog.unfinished-armies.de/fighti ... r-impetus/) and if you want to stick to skirmish battles and the SBG basing, SAGA is a great alternative as well...
You might try Frank Becker's website: http://tabletopdeutschland.wordpress.co ... sy/page/2/
The website is in German, but Frank has published some great LotR battleboards in English.

I don't see us stop wargaming in Middle-earth...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I havent got time to watch the 25 Min youtube video, can some one sum up please what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Harfoot wrote:
I haven't got time to watch the 25 Min youtube video, can some one sum up please what happened.

Basically, they're shutting down because GW is introducing dumb rules which stop them stocking loads of GW products (more money grabbing by GW :-X )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Basically, they're shutting down because GW is introducing dumb rules which stop them stocking loads of GW products (more money grabbing by GW :-X )

GW is actually enforcing a limit of $500 a month for retailers to purchase products from it. Plus they will not be allowed to sell GW miniatures online starting from June.