All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:39 am

Post subject: Desolation of Smaug webcast tonight
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi all

For anyone who doesn't know PJ is hosting a live webcast about DOS tonight at 10pm UK time (that's in about 100 mins). Thought it might be fun to have a thread to discuss whatever's shown!

All the details here:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11 ... -on-nov-4/

Bring it on!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
 Post subject: Re: Desolation of Smaug webcast tonight
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What a treat that was, really excited now. Roll on 13/12/13!

Last edited by cuchulain84 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

this is awesome!! Excited is an understatement.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I thought it was absolutely fantastic, such a cool (and unnecessary) thing to do on PJ and the actors' part but so interesting. I was really glad one of the fans mentioned that and thanked them, I can't think of any other film series/director who offers this level of interaction with the fans. The video blog series has been fantastic and getting the cast together for sneak peaks like this is an awesome way of getting me even more excited!

Was great to see a new blog, some very interesting titbits in there, always fun to get a glimpse behind the scenes.

Obviously the big deal was the new trailer though, I really wasn't expecting that, I assumed there'd just be a short scene like in the event in April but that trailer was incredible! Great to hear the King Under the Mountain song has made it in and the "I am King Under the Mountain" line gave me shivers! Could be reading too much into this but I reckon we might have heard Bolg too - just after that orc's about to be killed there's a voice we haven't heard before who says "Our time has come again" or similar, reckon that could be him. Really hoping he's still got a large part to play despite Azog's introduction.

All in all it was brilliant, truly cannot wait for the 13th!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I missed the webcast event, but caught the trailer this morning. And dear hobbits above... If that doesn't get you excited about the film, I don't think anything will! So much to love... where to begin?

(Obviously spoilers for those who haven't seen/wish to stay away from the trailer)
Click to: Show
- I know there were a lot of concerns at the beginning, but Richard Armitage is just perfect as Thorin, based on voice alone. The tones of determination and resolve, the hints of arrogance and desperation are spot-on brilliant.
- "That's where you come in, 'Master Burglar'" :-D
- Radagast's "The world is in grave danger..."
- The Eye!
- If GW get the minis for the Mirkwood Elves right, I might just have to start another Free Peoples army....
- The Orc army on the move...
- "I am King under the Mountain...."

And so much more besides!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It does look stunning, you're right about Armitage, he's absolutely fantastic, I love the fact that they seem to be using the King Under the Mountain song as a prophecy that Bard knows and fears leading to his distrust of Thorin's quest.

I've also had some more doubts and worries about Bolg as we know him ever seeing the light of day based on this trailer and the new production diary. Just posted my thoughts over here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26678

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Booked my tickets this morning, truly can't wait to get lost in Middle Earth again come Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Completely agree - this spin on Bard reading it as a prophecy is perfect! From the few shots we've had I'm really warming to Bard's character and can't wait to see him properly, although I still think he's Orlando Bloom's long lost twin :-D

Regarding Bolg, I had a little glimmer of hope for him during the trailer; not only during the ominous voice-over like you pointed out, but around the 2:10 mark during the fighting atop the walls, we see an orc swing a rather large and brutal maul over Tauriel. Unfortunately though, after rewinding and watching it over a dozen times, the actual orc doesn't resemble Bolg in the slightest... :( curses, foiled again! I think we're just going to have to wait and see what the movie brings...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What kind of things actually featured in the webcast Dr Grant (or anyone else who watched it for that matter)? Any interesting reveals or comments?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

KnightyKnight wrote:
What kind of things actually featured in the webcast Dr Grant (or anyone else who watched it for that matter)? Any interesting reveals or comments?

It was basically a Q&A with Peter Jackson, Lee Pace, Orlando Bloom, Luke Evans, Andy Serkis, Evangeline Lilly, Richard Armitage and Jed Brophy - who had said more than he does in An Unexpected Journey after his first question :lol:

They intercut that with the new Production blog, a new scene from the Extended version of An Unexpected Journey and the new trailer. In addition, everyone who was there got to see 20 mins of footage from DOS.

The Q&A was interesting and fun but not mind-blowing, it was clearly there to link the various showreels. "What's it like playing Leggy after 10 years?" "Which of Gollum's personalities is harder to perform?" "What was your first day on set like?" etc. The highlight for me was undoubtedly the trailer but the rest was all good stuff to ramp up the excitement levels!

There's a complete transcript of the event online below if you're interested and the whole video is there to watch if you fancy an hour of Hobbity goodness!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/11 ... fan-event/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This thread has been edited and all age inappropriate content has been removed, what with this being a family forum and all. Please try and stay on topic and if anyone has any concerns please flag it up with a mod rather than stirring up the pot which just makes things worse. Thanks guys.