All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:41 am

Post subject: Aren't we due a "Desolation of Smaug" miniature range leak..
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

.....by Know?

If anyone finds anything concrete it would be great to see it!
 Post subject: Re: Aren't we due a "Desolation of Smaug" miniature range le
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:09 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Patience. They arnt due out till December so I would have a good guess that the leaks will start end of November. GW get heavily fined by new line for leaks so it's gonna be a while.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Only about 6 weeks or so anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

We'll maybe see some leaks in late november, but the chances of significant miniature leaks preceeding the launch of the movie itself? I wouldn't hold my breath. After the movie hits, in the run-up to the january WD issue, then we'll start to see stuff. Of course, we'll also probably have whatever the new starter set is by then.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Assuming they follow the same release pattern as they did for LOTR and (far more importantly) AUJ, we should see the big wave for DOS officially announced and online on either Sat 23rd or 30th November, probably the former. Leaked pictures for a release that big will probably turn up on the Monday before so from 18th Nov onwards we can really start to get excited.

That much is fairly certain, as for exactly what we'll see before the movie comes out I'd guess the first release in December will focus on Mirkwood, largely showing us things that have appeared in the trailers so Leggy, Thranduil, Tauriel, Wood Elves and we should also get some spiders or Dol Guldur orcs as a bit of a bonus. My guess would then be that January focuses on Laketown and then a few more releases over the next few months probably culminating in Smaug around April time.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed, wouldn't expect much (if anything) for at least a month.
The first releases should contain the most important aspects of the movie, which will already be shown in trailers, and as such can be shown by GW as well. They have been pretty tight on rumours for some years now, any 'leaks' generally just pics from a slightly early White Dwarf - and then days, rather than months, in advance.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just a thought. Does anyone think there might not be a second 'starter set'? When the LOTR line came out there was a new 'definitive' rulebook released with each film, each time introducing new core rules. However, back then the system was pretty new and rules were still probably being worked out. The Hobbit hardback rulebook seems to be written to last for a number of years yet, so I wonder what a new starter book would have to offer above the AUJ one, besides profiles. Another reason I'm not so sure is what also appears to be the large number of "Limited Edition" box sets still in circulation. Is there any com[arable release annually in Warhammer or 40k?

This is all based on assumptions, but I have a feeling we might just get new units and that's all. I also suspect that Smaug is a long way off, Sauron, Fell Beasts and The Mumakil weren't released with their respective films.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think they'll update the pocket size rulebook to feature DOS photo's and models. Content will be the same I guess, an Elven and Dol Guldur force would be nice.

I'm really happy with these new startersets, they're way better than the LOTR ones were (dont remember the old pricing though).
for example, FOTR: a box of Last Alliance, Moria Goblins and some shabby ruins
vs.
Thorin's Company, 40 Goblins, Goblin King, Scribe, Grinnah, a Captain and scenery that's way better than those ruins were.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The original starter sets were $50 American, so the new one being more than double that initially was very surprising.
I think we will see new starter sets with each movie, it's just too good a business move in terms of getting new players

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gene Parmesan wrote:
I also suspect that Smaug is a long way off, Sauron, Fell Beasts and The Mumakil weren't released with their respective films.

Yep, totally agree, I imagine the Smaug design has been kept under tighter wraps and so will be that much further down the pipeline.

Gene Parmesan wrote:
Does anyone think there might not be a second 'starter set'? I have a feeling we might just get new units and that's all. Another reason I'm not so sure is what also appears to be the large number of "Limited Edition" box sets still in circulation. Is there any com[arable release annually in Warhammer or 40k?

It's certainly possible, I've said in another thread that they could keep selling EFGT alongside the DOS miniatures and a scenario/profile book. There's no comparable release for WH/40K, they just have a new box set with every new edition, of course each of the 6 films is essentially a new edition for SBG.

Bartelomeus wrote:
I think they'll update the pocket size rulebook to feature DOS photo's and models. Content will be the same I guess, an Elven and Dol Guldur force would be nice.

This is a nice idea and certainly possible but I think it it would be an awful lot of work for very little gain. I think it's more likely the cover's swapped and possibly they do a Find and Replace for the words AUJ with DOS but if it does change I imagine the photography will stay much the same.

I've started to think what they might do is have a starter box with no rules. So maybe a box of elves, scenery and spiders for around the £50 mark sold alongside the current Hardback rulebook and possibly the EFGT box set as well.

Bartelomeus wrote:
I'm really happy with these new startersets, they're way better than the LOTR ones were

Completely agree, whilst the EFGT set was more expensive (in the UK the 3 LOTR ones were £40, MOM £40/£50 and EFGT £75) the difference in quality and quantity more than made up for it. Quantity wise the Fellowship box had 48 models, MOM 34 and EFGT 56. The Fellowship box had about 18 uniquely posed models, MOM 22 and EFGT about 40, never mind the fact that the models in EFGT were vastly, vastly superior. It was definitely a high price set but I think it's worth it for the number/quality of the models you get.

I hope and believe that there'll be another similarly priced Goody box for DOS, it just remains to be seen quite how they deal with the branding of the rulebooks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i expect there will be no public leaks at all, no doubt a few people will see early pics and rumours will be whispered but i wouldnt expect to see anything on forums until atleast december. apart from what we have seen in the trailer, my prediction is a new supplement/sourcebook which will include new and improved siege rules. i am sure i have read that this years throne of skulls will be later than usual to allow players to adjust/adapt to new rules etc. i think that would make sense but obviously it is just an idea/hope :roll:

id love to see an unexpected november release for AUJ, its highly unlikely but it would be a nice surprise.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

MoriaMadness wrote:
i am sure i have read that this years throne of skulls will be later than usual to allow players to adjust/adapt to new rules etc. i think that would make sense but obviously it is just an idea/hope :roll:

That's correct but it's not necessarily proof of new rules. Nick Bayton said that the move is just to cover them so there's no unexpected clashes with the rules-packs. This happened at the 2012 doubles where the rules-pack was written before the Sourcebooks came out and the tournament rules clashed with the Sourcebook rules, WW have stated many times that they have no knowledge of upcoming releases and this just sounds like them trying to avoid potential headaches to me. I also think there's a secondary motive that if they move the TOS to the summer then everyone gets excited and doesn't notice that the SBG doubles event hasn't happened. I'm really worried that after last year's awful attendance doubles is going to be taken out the back and shot, which would be a great shame but you can't blame them for dropping events with low attendance.

MoriaMadness wrote:
id love to see an unexpected november release for AUJ, its highly unlikely but it would be a nice surprise.

Make no mistake about it, the first wave of DOS models will be on sale on probably the 30th November or the 7th December at the latest unless GW does something UNEXPECTED. All the evidence unanimously point to a late November reveal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Based on the trailers and the book, I would bet on a starter with Thorien's Company, 12 Wood Elves, 12 Hunter Orcs, and 12 Spiders, plus a DOS mini rulebooks and bits. Finecast bits to include Thranduil, Tauriel, Legolas, Beorn, and some stuff from Dol Goldur. This would work well with what has already been released and work well with the next movie and its Smaug / BOFA focus.

http://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Did the LOTR have starter sets other than MoM then? What were they?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah there was a box released for each film with a rulebook with genuinely new rules (for example there weren't any rules for cavalry until the two towers) and some basic plastics. FOTR had 24 goblins and 24 Last Alliance warriors, TTT had 12 Riders of Rohan and 20 Fighting Uruk Hai and ROTK had 24 Mordor orcs and 24 Warriors of Minas Tirith.

They might not sound particularly exciting now but at the time all those figures were brand new and they were decent value at £40 per box. You also got dice, range ruler sand some ruins. Nothing especially wrong with them but the EFGT starter set is a far more attractive purchase IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Going by that logic then, it won't be anything like the standard of Efgt then. Probably more like 24 wood elves against 24 spiders or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just hope they don't have thorins company in the next starter set as that would probably mean I won't buy it, buying doubles for a team I don't play is kind of deterring :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Assuming we do get a new starter set, I think the content may depends on things like whether EfGT stays available (even if only as Direct Only).

At the moment it is the only way to get Thorin’s Company, so I think we may see a finecast boxed set alongside a new starter set that doesn’t include them. That would probably mean elves versus spiders (or maybe Hunter Orcs as they won’t be so new), making people buy the spiders. On the other hand I can see Thorin’s Company versus the spiders being the starter set.

Maybe the reason we haven’t seen the alternative Company is they will be released once the starter set no longer has them in.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
...in the UK the 3 LOTR ones were £40 and EFGT £75

A quick calculation.. corrected for the inflation, the price of the FOTR-set would now be about £56. What a bargain, that EFGT set :P

lostpict wrote:
I would bet on a starter with Thorien's Company

Putting Thorin's company in the starterset again doesn't make sense. That would seriously decrease sales since most people who bought the AUJ-set wouldn't even think about buying the DOS-set (like myself :x).

Last edited by Bartelomeus on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yep, that's what I've been thinking for a while now. When there were only 2 films they could afford to release 2 sculpts of the company per film, now there's 3 they've 'saved' the other sculpts from the rulebook to release alongside DOS. To my mind that's even more evidence that the new starter set won't include the company. Also Cuchulain why don't you think it'll be the same standard? The starter sets have been improving in terms of quality and variety so I think if there is a new one it'll be similar to EFGT.

My money's on:

Legolas
Tauriel
Thranduil (possibly the limited edition model if they do that again)
12/24 elves
6 spiders
12 Dol Guldur Orcs
Some Orc heroes (Bolg, Narzug maybe?)
Mirkwood scenery

It's one of those rare times with GW that that's what I think AND what I hope, fingers crossed but I think this release is gonna be awesome.