All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:21 pm

Post subject: Old miniatures list isnt fake after all?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi everyone :)!

This my first here on forum and I must admit that I currently dont have any miniatures and I am not a hobbyst (although that doesnt mean that I wont join the "dark side", when I finally find some job :D).Anyway, my reason to post here is that I was looking at old miniature list and I found some similarities with already released miniatures.Here is the list:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/08/10/60693-games-workshop-minatures-list-holds-hobbit-spoilers/

and if we compare it with released minies, we can see that some miniatures are actually released, although with different name.Here are the examples:

King Thráin & Longbeard Vanguard - Thrain and Warriors of Erebor
Young Thorin & Longbeard Mattockguard - Young Thorin and Grimm Hammers
King Thrór - King Thror
Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves - Grinnah, goblin captain
Feral Wolf Pack - Feral wargs
Narzug & Orc Warg-Riders - Narzug and mounted Orc hunters
Leaping Spiders / Shiverfang Spiders - Mirkwood spiders
Mounted Rivendell Nobles - Rivendell knights
Lindir the Harper - Lindir
The War Council - White council
Elrond & Rivendell Spearguard - Elrond
Radagast’s Chariot / Spellfire Cart - Radagast's sleigh
Azog & Orc Needlers - Orc hunters ?
Azog (Wounded) - Azog ft and mt
Bolg & Great Goblin Bodyguard - Gundabad orc general and Gundabad/Dol Guldur orcs (unreleased yet)
King Girion - Girion (still unreleased)
The Master of Lake-Town - Master of Laketown
Bard & Greystreak Bowmen - Bard
Alfrid & Loyal Town Guard - Alfrid and Laketown guards
Garf & Footsoldiers of the Dale - Captain of Dale and Warriors of Dale
Silvan Elves: Legolas & Mirkwood Fire Archers - Legolas and Mirkwood rangers
Mirkwood Warhost - Palace guards?

And some who could be released:

Dís, Mother of Kili and Fili - Dis was mentioned in second movie
Saruman & The Ringwraiths - Lee mentioned in his Christmas message that his character will have a lot of fighting (including sword-fight)

It is important to remember that this list was known to public before the first film came - so the Narzg stuff is really interestnig because he was not the part of the first film.Although the list contains some "stupid" and obviously fake stuff (like the bombur on cold-drake), it is interesting that a lot of the minies were actually produced and were seen in the movies.It is also worth mentioning that PJ constant changing of movie's plot line in both films, where changes were made, in most cases "5 minutes before midnight" (changes like the Azog and Bolg design, or changing from Azog to Bolg as leader of Orcs who attacked the Dwarves in barrel scene), probably also took some toll on the design and production process, including this list.

After all that, what do you think, is it possible that this list contains some spoilers for the third film?For example, Saruman vs. Nazguls in Dol Guldur, rebellion of Laketowners ("Alfrid & loyal town guard" and "Quickstrings Gang") or maybe a depiction of Dis in the prologue :)?
 Post subject: Re: Old miniatures list isnt fake after all?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A lot of the names from the film were already available and of course from the book as well.

You can tell it is fake by things like Grinnah and Mirkwood werewolves, why would a goblin captain seen for like 2 seconds suddenly be in mirkwood leading werewolves? It was just speculation as the name was the only thing known about Grinnah at the time.

Also wasn't there something about Bofur riding a dragon?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly Welcome to the One Ring. Please do not read too much into the text that follows, I'm merely in the opposite view-point on this.

I think you're giving far too much credit to a hoax. The person who wrote the list obviously did enough research to come up with some things that were likely to be found in the films.
I mean spiders, Thorin's company, the white council, they're all obvious if you know the books and lore at all.
And you're giving an awful lot of lee-way to flat out missed guesses such as Grinnah, and the Mirkwood Warhost. :roll:

It'd be like myself saying pick a number 1-10 and you pick 2 and i guess 5. And then I try to sell it as "Oh I saw your number upside down because they look similar inverted" or "Look I was only off by 3! And 5-3=2! So I got it right!" Lol :rofl:
Obviously in my example I didn't guess correctly and neither did the creator of this list.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the welcome :).

The title of the thread isnt right (my bad), because I already mentioned that list no matter what contains fake stuff.I must say that some stuff weren't known before the release of the films.First one is obviously the Azog - we didnt know that Azog would be the main villain until the very release of the movie.Second, we didnt know that Azog is going to be crippled.Is it a lucky guess of the list's author or did he had some info?Second one is Dis - she is mentioned in the second movie, along with the stone she gave to the Kili.Again, lucky guess (although we dont know is there gonna be Dis miniature) or not?And we saw Girion in extended edition of AUJ.

About identifying some miniatures with real ones, here are my reasons:

Mattockguard=Grimm hammers - because the main weapon of the Grim hammers is mattock.
Vanguard=Erebor warriors - vanguard represent troops who are placed in the front of army, with the role of starting an combat.So they are common warriors.

These; I think are obvious ones:

Mounted Rivendell Nobles=Rivendell knights
Lindir the Harper=Lindir
Feral Wolf Pack=Feral wargs
Leaping Spiders / Shiverfang Spiders=Mirkwood spiders
Orc Warg-Riders=Mounted Orc hunters
Alfrid & Loyal Town Guard=Alfrid and Laketown guards
Footsoldiers of the Dale=Warriors of Dale

The rest is probably long shott, that I cannot deny :).Anyway, it is going to be very funny to see is this list had some spoilers for the third film.