All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Battle of Pelennor Fields Box Set Announced
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

slinky wrote:
I wonder if it will come with the full kits of the fellbeast and troll, with all the options like building an Isengard troll, or non-Witch king rider on the Fellbeast?

Based on the jam packed box shown at the event, the troll will be a full kit, and I presume the fellbeast will be too. It wouldn't make much sense to remove parts from the sprue, or making an entirely new kit just to exclude standard ringwraiths, would it?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is going to be one expensive box.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I reckon they might price it at the same level as the 40k/Age of Sigmar box sets (Soul Wars and Dark Imperium), which means £95 or $165.

Games Workshop likes to keep the price below £100, and the box sets usually have a big discount against the "official" value of the individual items. If we're lucky the box set will be available from independent retailers, who tend to offer 20-25% off GW direct prices, although currently the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit range is all direct-only.

The fact that they're committing to new plastic heroes is I think a fairly big sign of commitment to the game, as it's much more costly to set up the manufacturing for plastic than for resin figures, but works out better in the long-term.

Also kind of interesting to think what models they might be able to produce now in computer-sculpted plastic that couldn't ever have been made 10 years ago in metal. If you look at the ghosts in Soul Wars floating on tiny bits of plastic there could be some interesting potential for new sculpts for LOTR.

I think the make-up of the box set doesn't necessarily mean the warband system will change ... they often release box-sets that don't entirely fit the rules for proper army building. Eg. in Soul Wars you get 3 evocators in the box set, but officially you need 5 for a legal unit in full matched play.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alex123 wrote:
I think the make-up of the box set doesn't necessarily mean the warband system will change ... they often release box-sets that don't entirely fit the rules for proper army building. Eg. in Soul Wars you get 3 evocators in the box set, but officially you need 5 for a legal unit in full matched play.

Exactly no doubt there will be a single sheet of laminated card that comes with the box set with a special scenario which uses all the models in the box as two
factions with specific rules. Most boxes don't match up with points or use normal unit sizes and usual have special rules to compensate for this. (like in
Forgebane)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not sure what to make of this. I've been a supporter and major collector of the range since 2001.

The style/size/scale of the new miniatures is the only downside for me, but it's been going that way for a while. Army of the Dead do not look good beside warriors of minas tirith, or rohan for that matter.

The good side is the range is getting attention, and the new box set seems to be a massive saving vs buying things separate.

If as pictures suggest we get 12 riders of rohan, 20 army of the dead and 24 morannon orcs (2 sprues each) plus all the other stuff... then we have a total value of £195.50

If it's a single sprue of each, thats still a total value of £147.40.

Cost looks to be £95.

https://www.edinburghminiaturecompany.com
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

MOTN wrote:
If as pictures suggest we get 12 riders of rohan, 20 army of the dead and 24 morannon orcs (2 sprues each) plus all the other stuff... then we have a total value of £195.50

From Warhammer Community:
Quote:
Alongside Theoden ride 12 Riders and Warriors of Rohan and 20 Warriors of the Dead. Against them stand no fewer than 36 Morannon Orcs, a Mordor Troll and The Witch-king of Angmar atop a Fell Beast. Also included, are all the various gaming accessories you’d expect – dice, range-rulers (themed to each army), tokens, and most importantly of all – a brand new 208-page edition of the rules.

84 miniatures in total!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My wallet is ready!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can say have no interest in buying this set but I am glad that the new books are coming in August as well. Here is hoping the armies of middle earth book with have some longevity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Looking more closely at the new Theoden I think that any perceive stockiness may be to his left foot being raised on to a 'Hero Rock'.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I know we're not supposed to pooh-pooh GW, *but*, it drives me crazy they never have a lead-up for anything. All my other favorite retailers have their product lines, usually with mock-up images and the pre-order price weeks, if not months in advance. I love to anticipate new things, I have been well socialized into the N American market economy attitude of "buy this, it will make you happy" but I need to budget accordingly. Sometimes it takes me a year to save up for a major purchase. If I knew in advance of how much to save and when it was likely to hit shelves, I'd be more likely to budget, and therefore buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Matakakea wrote:
Looking more closely at the new Theoden I think that any perceive stockiness may be to his left foot being raised on to a 'Hero Rock'.

I think you're right. Thanks for pointing that out because I didn't notice his raised foot due to that clump of grass..
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

MOTN wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of this. I've been a supporter and major collector of the range since 2001.

The style/size/scale of the new miniatures is the only downside for me, but it's been going that way for a while. Army of the Dead do not look good beside warriors of minas tirith, or rohan for that matter.

The good side is the range is getting attention, and the new box set seems to be a massive saving vs buying things separate.

If it's a single sprue of each, thats still a total value of £147.40.

Cost looks to be £95.

When does it release, though? Convinced my local game store to carry it and have game nights and all, but I am impacient, as nothing happens until the box set arrives...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Because I always like to have the link for reference, especially later:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/15/15th-july-forge-world-open-day-return-to-middle-earthtmgw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-1/

Shadow in the Weast wrote:
A great new model for Theoden, although the foot version looks rather stocky, especially around the waist.
Maybe his armor is a little tight across the chest. :gimli:

I had to giggle when I saw the new armour. It reminds me more of a whitewater lifejacket for paddling than armour. All I can say is I'm glad Theoden is a guy, bits of me would stick out in rather awkward spots :oops:

The big announcement is certainly the fact we will be having plastic heroes, if not new troops. Don't think of them as "old" minis, think of them as "classic". It's a testament to the skill of the sculptors that they're still being released 10 years later. I love how dynamic the new Theoden is, and I'd be wary of buying him in resin. I think it's safe to say the days of metal minis are past.

I too am sad that Theoden will probably only be available in the new set. But the new rules and Theoden are a pretty good incentive. If you don't want more Rohirrim, you can always visit the Wayback Machine and see how they were converted into pirates/Umbar corsairs. That's where my old ones are going. Boats for all! (Hmmm, Theoden might need that lifejacket after all...)

Edit: The conversion article is in WD 294, but some convincing pics are also in "All at Sea" pt 1, available from the DCHL website.

Games Workshop Limited still sells him with most models.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really hoping the set will be available in normal gaming stores and not direct only

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cave Dragon wrote:
When does it release, though? Convinced my local game store to carry it and have game nights and all, but I am impacient, as nothing happens until the box set arrives...

The article said its coming out in August.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The new rulebook alone makes this set a worthy buy. Hope it is true that the sprue options for the Fellbeast and Troll remain, I can do without owning a second Witchking on Fellbeast.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
The new rulebook alone makes this set a worthy buy. Hope it is true that the sprue options for the Fellbeast and Troll remain, I can do without owning a second Witchking on Fellbeast.

Just cut the horn bits off. Ringwraith! Well, might need a little more work and such, but hey, it works. I am going to love this, and a gaming store will now carry the line upon the box's release, with gaming events. In the U.S. too!
I also love the new list of all units, along with the new rulebook. Also, the contents will be a nice addition to my collection...
Content
King Theoden (On Foot & Mounted)
12x Riders Of Rohan
12x Warriors Of Rohan
20x Warriors Of The Dead
The Witch-King Of Angmar On Fell Beast
36x Morannon orcs
Mordor Troll
AVAILABLE AUGUST
Gonna start playing large Pellenor field games, upon purchase, featuring 1,000pt armies, I think. Maybe 1,500. I know my Mumak will have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Question, do we know if the armies book we've seen will include every lotr profile? So little is discussed about this...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see with the army book. I don’t think anyone actually got to look inside it.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I wonder if this means we will see content in White Dwarf in August? A battle report even?
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next