All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:12 pm

Post subject: Fatal 4-way scenario
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi. Me an my friends have played a lot of 2 vs 2 lately so we are considering playing an everone vs everyone points match.
Of course the normal problem arises. If you have ever played a game with more than 2 teams you are probably aware that the most efficient tactic is to hold back and hope that the other players destroy each other. And then everyone gets grumpy and mad with (insert name here). In order to prevent this there must be some objectives that will require the players to move away from their starting corner in order to win. Below are the objectives and some concerns I have.

Objectives:
1. In middle of the board is the main terrain feature worth 300 points.
2. On this objective there is another objective (heavy object) that has to be dug out and carried back to your starting corner in order to get points, 300 points.
3. Between each player there is one (times 4 gaps between players) terrain features worth 200 points each.
4. Killing an enemy leader gives 150 + (leader's value) points.
5. Winning contest of the champions, as described in LoME gives 200 points.

If at the end of a turn 2 forces are broken or 1 force has been compleatly destroyed, roll a dice, if it is a 6 the game ends.

Concerns:
1. Slower armies like dwarves and to a lesser extent goblins may have trouble getting to the objectives and may thus loose more troops while capturing these.
2. This game might require rather high points armies as there are many objectives that has to be attacked/defended.
3. The objectives must be easy enough to defend (and protect against bowfire) so they stimulate the players to capture them as early as they can, but still not so defendable that the slower armies mentioned above suffer too much.
4. The points value of the objectives are of course debatable.
5. Does these objectives stimulate offensive gameplay enough?

The reason why I am posting this is to try to get some constuctive advise. What are your thoughts on the objectives, concerns or other things about the scenario? I woul be very happy if you could post your own experience with similar scenarios. Thanks in advance.
 Post subject: Re: Fatal 4-way scenario
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The simplest approach to the 'hang back and wait' tactic is to play Deathmatch. Kills matter, not survival, so if you don't rack up enough killed Warriors and Heroes (and I would go for points values rather than pure numbers) then you lose. Grey Company and similar 'shooty' armies would perhaps be unbalanced in this regard but lots of terrain would compensate.

Domination works fairly well, but I would play it so that Victory points are awarded each turn that it's in your possession so that the rush-on-the-final-turns is avoided.

Even within 2v2 there is scope for a first-among-equals winner, with one player in the team winning the game. It makes for interesting decisions about co-operation!
 Post subject: Re: Fatal 4-way scenario
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for your answer. It seems like you have some experiance on this. I especially like your domination idea.