All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:06 pm

Post subject: Girion's Patrol
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi guys, I've been trying to catch up on my hobby backlog recently and have been working on a couple of different forces as well as getting my terrain together. I've also been testing out a few scenarios which turned out to be pretty fun so I have put together this play through for you.

The scenario was played on a single 2’x2’ tile as this was all I really have enough terrain for at the moment, with some goblins and men of dale facing off against each other as these are the two armies I have been catching up on.

Even before the coming of Smaug, Lord Girion of Dale had felt the darkness near – even if the dwarves of Erebor could not. Growing increasingly restless he took to venturing out of Dale into the surrounding lands looking for signs of impending doom, much to the displeasure of his attendants. On a lonely morning in the wilds of the North, Girion found something – Goblins! Not only that, but they had an elf as their captive, cruelly laid out before the jeering creatures. With no hesitation Girion drew his bow, signalling his trusted companions into position to rescue the poor soul before it is was late.

Forces
The good force consists of Girion and two warriors of Dale. The evil force consists of a goblin captain and twelve goblins.

Layout
The board is 2’x2’ and should have elevation on one half of the board with foliage to represent the wilds of the North, the men of Dale deploy here spread out across the hillside. The other half of the board should be flat with the goblin camp placed in the centre along with the captive elf. The goblins deploy here spread around the camp.

Objectives
The game can end from the end of turn 8 onwards on a roll of a 6, the dice roll needed will decrease by 1 each turn (I.e. 5 on turn 9, 4 on turn 10 etc).
The Good player will win if they have at least 1 model within 3” of the captive elf at the game end, the Evil player will win if Girion is slain. If both conditions are met then the game is a draw.

Special Rules
Vantage Point
Girion may fire a single shot with his bow before the game starts to represent the surprise attack against the goblins.
Goblin Discipline
Due to the small amount of models in the skirmish, neither force can count as broken. However, to represent the panic of the Goblins being attacked from unknown positions (and to give the good guys more of a chance), each turn the Goblin captain takes a courage test. If this is passed then the goblins carry on as normal, if failed then roll a dice for each goblin. If a 1 or 2 is rolled then this model is moved by the good player for the turn (but may not charge another goblin). On 3 or more the goblin is moved by the evil player as normal. The courage test can be affected by might and will as normal, the good player can also expend Girion’s will to modify the score. Furthermore, the score is reduced by 1 for each goblin that is slain.

PREGAME
Girion fires his bow from the vantage point down into the goblins who are poking and prodding their captive elf, the shot finds its mark and slays one of the creatures!

TURN 1
The goblins take the priority but the captain fails to keep order, only two of the goblins panic however and the rest of them move up to meet the attackers. One of the men of Dale moves up to try and sneak around the flank of the goblins whilst Girion lets loose another arrow using a might point to dispatch a second goblin.

TURN 2
Again the goblins take priority, the captain beats his subordinates back into line who again move up against the men in the hills. The men of dale reposition themselves as Girion kills yet another goblin with his trusted bow much to the goblin captain’s displeasure!

TURN 3
Priority goes to the men of Dale who reposition themselves again to react to the oncoming goblins, Girion moves out to the hallway of the ruined building he had positioned himself in. Three of the goblins panic, the rest of them move up. The goblin captain decides to go after Girion who hits the captain with an arrow but fails to wound.

TURN 4
Two of the goblins panic after they had gained priority, the remaining goblins charge the building where Girion is however he manages to slay his attacker. He is protected by his trusted companion who bashes a goblin back with his shield. The other man of dale manages to slip closer to the goblin camp and the wounded elf.

TURN 5
The men of dale take priority as Girion and his companion prepare to defend themselves against the goblin attacks. The goblins chase the man of dale who is trying to sneak into the camp but the captain wisely waits for reinforcements before attacking the Lord of Dale. Girion tries to take advantage of this by shooting but he fails to wound the captain.

TURN 6
Priority goes to the goblins with three of them panicking, they also charge the men of Dale. The goblin captain calls a heroic strike which Girion counters with his last point of might, the captain somehow manages to draw fight values with Girion. Preparing for the worst Girion readies himself. He takes two wounds, although he luckily scrapes by with use of his fate point. Both of the men of dale beat back their opponents with their shields, thankful that their lord has survived.

TURN 7
The goblin captain calls a heroic move after the men of dale take the priority. However the captain doesn't charge Girion again but instead moves to deal with the troublesome Daleman who is making his way to the wounded elf, he leaves his minions to finish off the badly wounded Girion. Four of the goblins panic and Girion manages to cling on slaying another attacker.

TURN 8
The goblins take priority with only one panic this turn, leaving them free to manoeuvre. Girion and his companion start to move up each slaying their foes. The game doesn't yet end.

TURN 9
The good side move up charging the goblin creatures. The rest of the goblins move up. Combat is inconclusive but the game still goes on.

TURN 10
The priority goes to the goblins with two of them panicking. The goblins reposition. The captain manages to bring down one of the men of dale finally but it is too little too late as the game ends – GOOD VICTORY – 2 models within 3” of the captive elf and Girion still standing (barely).

So it turned into a fun little skirmish, I tried a pitched battle before with the same participants (they are about the same points) but it came out massively in the goblin's favour so I added the special rules. Next on my painting list is another warband of goblins and some fell wargs and then some more men of dale and some laketown militia as well.

I do have pictures but it's taken me a little while to write this up and I'm not very IT literate, so for now please see the link below. Will try and add some of these later on. :) EDIT: Pictures now added, please see link below for more:

http://s967.photobucket.com/user/MadScib/library/Men%20of%20Dale%20Vs%20Goblin%20Town%20-%20Battle%201?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Scib on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Girion's Patrol
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really enjoyed that - sounds like a fun game and not very time consuming either! Well done! 8)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks, it didn't take too long at all. Was less than an hour including jotting notes and taking pictures.

I've added some of the pictures but I've noticed they are slightly out of sync with what is happening, will try and fix these soon. I think next time I will just take a pic at the end of each turn as I took a lot this game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love small, fluffy scenarios like this, far better than a pitched battle in my opinion. Nice work.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you