All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:32 pm

Post subject: How is the Hobbit range doing?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There are a lot of topics covering the quality of the models or the rules, but I was wondering if anyone had any information in regards to how successful the Hobbit range has actually been so far.

How are the sales? Are there a lot of new players, returning veterans?

Does anyone have any hard data to share? Or maybe we'll just compile a bunch of subjective experiences :)
 Post subject: Re: How is the Hobbit range doing?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All i know it that now, after years of not bothering, me and my group are buying straight from GW again. If you want a proper report you'll probably have to wait for the end of the fiscal year or something...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The hobbit/LoTR seems to be alot more popular than it used to be at my local GW. Now people actually talk about it on their FB page as oppose to before when LoTR could go unmentioned for months.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

From what i have seen people are talking about it again. It is mixed with the excitement of seeing new product and the dissapontment over the rule changes and pricing.

I would think that the excitement would see a spike in sales but the question is will it stay that way at that pricing level.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

For me the insane prices of some figures ($70AU for a single mini/mount???) have helped me a lot in completing my backlog =) since some of my backlog is LotR minis I guess it's still good for the hobby as a whole?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've noticed a lot more activity on OR and TLA now.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Absolutely, SF. I don't know if there's an easy way to pull the numbers but I feel we acquired more ACTIVE forum members in the last 3-4 months than we probably did in the full year before that. I do stress 'active' though. The newer members seem more interested in engaging in conversation, discussing lists and tactics, WiP and painting, etc. We have had some great members join in that 'year before' as well but it's really spiked here.

I hope many will stay on but I know that doesn't always happen. There will be some that will have a reality shock of the prices and how hard it is to grow in the hobby but I hope a large percentage is able to stick with it. There is absolutely no reason not to want lots of players. This hobby is better for it.

Locally I'd have to say not much difference. I see some come in and browse the Hobbit items, and a few pick stuff up now and then, but there's not a lot of that and we don't see many new faces showing up to play like we have in the past. But for those of us that had been regular players but interest waned a little after WotR came around, most of us feel more energized again.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think I joined just pre-Hobbit release, mostly because I was looking to recruit Lord of the Rings fans and fans of strategy games in general to a free forumgame we were building on another forum. Then the reverse happened, you guys converted me to LOTR SBG!

In four months I have spent far too much money and time on this new hobby, but thanks all the same!

So I can't attribute my recruitment to The Hobbit range, but instead blame everyone at The One Ring!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
The newer members seem more interested in engaging in conversation, discussing lists and tactics, WiP and painting, etc. We have had some great members join in that 'year before' as well but it's really spiked here.

Really? I said most (not all) new members are only interested in getting the rules. Seen a mega rise in the amount of posts asking for points etc since the hobbit rules were released though.

Anyway, on topic. I have noticed an increase in hobbit players at my local GW, now there is lots of shiny new kits people want to play it again. At the moment, at the core club on sunday the Hobbit commands a bigger board (6x4) than both WFB and 40k. 40k usually play on a 4x4 and WFB are lucky to get a spot.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There is definately an increase of playes in my area. I was pretty much the only 1, with maybe 1 or 2 others. now, the number has increased much.

Most of these buy mainly or excluswively from GW too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
From my point of view, sales are reasonably good. I've only been trading for heading up to one year now and I am a LOTR focused retailer (bear these two facts in mind) but the Hobbit Box set release week was my highest week for sales by about £300 over an average week, so not a huge amount.

I think the biggest problem is simply the pricing. They've snuck up and I don't think its all to do with New Line Cinema's royalties but also a little bit of greed there too! Which means the discounts I can offer, don't really bring it down much either as its all so much to begin with. I think given a lower price similar to the old LOTR pricing we could have seen the range become so much more successful.

Another personal annoyance is the complete lack of support from White Dwarf. Sure we got a great first issue with the Thorin and Gandalf cover and the battle report, since then coverage has been a look at whats released, maybe a paint guide and thats it. Hobbit has already, in GW's mindset, been put on the backburner - and I think thats a big mistake.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's not good news greendragon, exactly what i was afraid of.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I only ask because based on my personal experience, the Hobbit doesn't seem to be doing especially well. Before I left for school, I didn't see anyone at the local GW in Winston-Salem, North Carolina (USA) talking about or playing the Hobbit. WHFB and 40k were both regularly in full swing. The Hobbit was being more advertised, but stocks were full. I myself haven't made a single purchase, nor have been significantly tempted to.

Obviously that's very subjective. I felt like my experience may have been atypical, but I also get the sense that the Hobbit isn't living up to its complete potential.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wo, you lived in Winston-Salem? How did I never know that? I lived within an hour of there until I went to NC State. At my GW store, it's about a 30 minute drive, so I can't get there that often due to school, but everytime I go the store owner wants to play a game of SBG, although I usually can't play because of time restraints.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
Wo, you lived in Winston-Salem? How did I never know that? I lived within an hour of there until I went to NC State. At my GW store, it's about a 30 minute drive, so I can't get there that often due to school, but everytime I go the store owner wants to play a game of SBG, although I usually can't play because of time restraints.

Ha, probably because your location says, "In Angband, at Morgoth's feet," lol.

A new GW opened up on Silas Creek Pkwy in July, very 40k-centric. Mostly I've just stopped by for hobby supplies, but I played a small game of Warhammer Fantasy in there this last winter break. To be honest though, I'm just not very interested in any GW games at the moment, including the Hobbit.

Right now I'm in school out in Texas, but I'm working on transferring to a school back in NC for the next semester.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Which school? That's the same time that a GW opened in Raleigh. I usually don't have time to go that often, but that's life. Sorry to mini-derail this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, I'm a returning 'veteran' anyway! Never previously worked in plastic much (aside from a few horses) and am enjoying it - this small Island of mine will, however, remain a Finecast-free zone :yay: . However, I feel my small purchases will not make much difference in the overall scheme of things.

<Mungo>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
Which school? That's the same time that a GW opened in Raleigh. I usually don't have time to go that often, but that's life. Sorry to mini-derail this thread.

I'm nearly done filling out the common application and am eyeing Chapel Hill as my number one choice, but I will also apply to a few other schools as back up.

In addition to general Hobbit success, I'd also be interested to know how those new North Carolina GW stores are doing. I was "boycotting" GW completely before the Silas Creek one showed up, but I was so excited I couldn't resist several trips and purchases.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The only other players in my area just happen to be my next door neighbours...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jamros wrote:
... I was "boycotting" GW completely before the Silas Creek one showed up, but I was so excited I couldn't resist several trips and purchases.

I'm curious to hear about how they are doing as well. We recently had one opened here in Las Vegas, I went in there once and bought the Rivendell knights and Elrond but despite it being a Saturday night only one game was going on. From the discussion I had with the manager he had only one other guy mention LOTR/Hobbit as already having an army and only a couple of inquiries about the EfGT (didn't sound like purchases) after being open for a month.