All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:57 pm

Post subject: Re: Shall we see a resurgence?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I understand that stuff my point was that LOTR stuff seems to be rocketing up in price compared to the other two I was just trying to work out why, is it just so they can make even more money when the Hobbit comes out?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

With LotR there is also the Licensing Fee, which they had to renew Winter 2011, which is why they actually makes less profit on LotR if they are not more vigorous with their ridiculous price increases, that and LotR is less popular than WFB and 40k.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

the fact that it is less popular will have no effect on price but your point about licencing fees is properly the reason for the price increasing so fast, thanks that has been bugging me for ages
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that it will obviously experience a boost in popularity providing that the new miniatures will be compatible with the SBG ones (in terms of rules and scale). This resurgence will be a lot greater if the publish a magazine to accompany it, like they did last time with DeAgostini. Sadly after the Hobbit movies flare dies out, which will most likely be after the extended versions of the movies are released probably I guess around the end of 2014, the hobby will slowly die out. GW won't be able to make any new massive additions to it, like the Hobbit range, since they are under an agreement to keep it harmonious with Tolkien's world. And this combined with the gradual future irrelevance of the Hobbit movies and the popularity in everything Tolkien related, will sadly lead to the dying out of the hobby. Another factor I think will be the insufficient promotion of the game after the Hobbit movies. As we saw GW's promotion of the system in the years following the movies up until recently, has been inadequate to broaden the audience of the game. The few White Dwarf articles testify to that. I really think that if GW wanted could keep the game going strong and minimize the eventual loss of popularity it will experience some years after the Hobbit movies, but I doubt it will.
It's a good thing for me that I only want to create a nicely painted Dwarf army and I am close to that and a table to play on and I am okay.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ElfGeneral wrote:
the fact that it is less popular will have no effect on price but your point about licencing fees is properly the reason for the price increasing so fast, thanks that has been bugging me for ages

It does, because fewer people have to generate the same amount of revenue.

BTW, LOTR is still cheaper then the other two, thank God.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

To be honest, if we see any resurgence, it will be a small one. GW doesn't advertise LotR enough compared to WFB/40K. If you look in most stores you'll see people playing 40K/WFB, but not much LotR, and even on the What's New Today blog there isn't much LotR content. Maybe that'll change, but if GW don't put any money into advertising the Hobbit, then they won't get much out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Chris GoM wrote:
To be honest, if we see any resurgence, it will be a small one. GW doesn't advertise LotR enough compared to WFB/40K. If you look in most stores you'll see people playing 40K/WFB, but not much LotR, and even on the What's New Today blog there isn't much LotR content. Maybe that'll change, but if GW don't put any money into advertising the Hobbit, then they won't get much out of it.

They will pay more atention to it when the Hobbit comes out, much to the annoyance of some of the 40k and WFB fans.