All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:07 pm

Post subject: Re: Metal or Finecast?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
How long has fine cast been available now ? I'm wondering if we are still in the teething trouble phase like you get with anything new.
Surely GW are aware of the troubles and will be working to solve their casting problems, but like anything, will take time to solve or in the end find an alternative.
Personally I have a couple of fine cast that I'm yet to paint so I will have to reserve judgment until then, though the evidence for metal seems strong.

I think some of the quality control issues with Fine Cast have improved at least on some of the larger models. It is still as dangerous as lead, soft, and heat sensitive. I am not sure how long it will take to become brittle that will vary with climate. Even my large resin models have deteriorated over time.It is hot here and that does not help. I still make a few resin cast but not if I can use something else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The look of the metals, plastic, or Finecast all look
equally awful (haha), once I am done painting them. :D

Hilarious!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I still make a few resin cast but not if I can use something else.

Speaking of something else I picked up some new liquid plastic that may be that something else. I am going to give it a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Prefer metals, but the potential of finecast is superior. I compared a new Azog to an old metal uruk-hai, and I have to say the proportions on the former are much better. The downside is the amount of bubbles, the brittleness and price. I hope that in time FC catches up, but metal is still more reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gene Parmesan wrote:
Prefer metals, but the potential of finecast is superior. I compared a new Azog to an old metal uruk-hai, and I have to say the proportions on the former are much better. The downside is the amount of bubbles, the brittleness and price. I hope that in time FC catches up, but metal is still more reliable.

The masters and artist have more to do with the difference in the appearance of the new models and the old than the material.

Is metal better than Fine Cast? Everything is better than Fine Cast.
As much as I like metal the future is probably going to belong to one of the new plastics. I think Reapers Bones material may be close. I think it is still soft but it has none of the air bubble issues and may end up food grade. It is much Safer. It is also oxidised at near the rate of Green Army Men so it will last longer than Fine Cast. They say you don't need to wash it or prime it before you paint it. I would still wash it an prime it. We will see what temperature will cause it to distort.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

PLASTIC!!!!!

Everything should be plastic, then I wouldn't have to pay so damn much. The quality of the new Hobbit plastics are incredible. I wouldn't mind having all models at that level of detail.

However seeing as it is about metal and finecast, I'm going to say metal. Why? It's cheaper and there are no air bubbles. If Finecast did not get air bubbles and if all the weapons weren't so wonky and if it was a closer price to metal (not saying it has to be dead equal, but closer) then I would prefer finecast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="samoht"]PLASTIC!!!!!

Everything should be plastic

Hear hear! They have achieved excellence with plastic which they have seriously failed to do with so called "Fine Cast", which is frankly a joke! The Hobbit plastic boxes are excellent and we know that long term it is a safe material.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't like finecast, just look at the vault wardens and pikes dol amroth... Now that's a droopy joke, I love my metal wardens :-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like metal better than FC but as mentioned before FC has a lot of potential. I guess GW didn't make the same quality metal models in 1980 as they do now. In time they will master the skill as they did on metal.

Love the recent plastic model though! I guess they could make model such as vault wardens in plastic clampacks! Warhammer has plastic clampacks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think that the issue is with inferior manufacturing materials rather than sculptors skill!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lorindol wrote:
I like metal better than FC but as mentioned before FC has a lot of potential. I guess GW didn't make the same quality metal models in 1980 as they do now. In time they will master the skill as they did on metal.

I think people are confusing style and Quality control. If an beautiful metal figure is cast without a foot or arm. You throw it back in the pot and cast it again. If a beautiful Fine Cast figure is cast without a foot you send it out anyway. Both figures are beautiful but the Fine Cast figure has no foot.
If the quality of the metal figures from the 1980s was as poor as GWs Fine Casts products are now GW would not have made it to the 1990s.

I do not have an issue with the quality of plastic GW uses in the manufacture of their plastic kits.My issue is with Large gaps and poor fit.

In 25 years I never purchased a Mis cast metal figure from GW.

Fine cast is as dangerous as lead! It is soft and will oxidise a lot faster than plastic. Droopy weapons? Well lead does that too. Tin is better, but harder to glue and tap/pin. Tin is far safer than Fine Cast and Lead. Lead and tin cost more than the Fine Cast material. Why no savings? That is another issue.

Thanks Billbo I saw you post as I finished up

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well said OMW!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have trouble believing that Finecast is toxic.
Where does that come from?
Are there MSDS sheets available?

*Edit*

I looked around for toxicity for Finecast on the internet.
Took me to a dakka dakka forum about this.
Not a lot there, but did find a link to GW's site around FC's release.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =16800012a

"Safety: Citadel Finecast is made from our own 'secret recipe'; it's absolutely safe and does not require you to wear a face mask. The 12+ on our packaging is about the skill and craft required to do our hobby, not about the material. We make sure that all our products are tested by external professionals and Citadel Finecast is no exception."

I can only imagine any manufacturer of toy soldiers for children, and children at heart, was selling a toxic product, they would have far more to loose than a few detail minded model collectors.

If you have a specific claim about the safety, let us know where you are getting your information.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Rangefinder wrote:
I have trouble believing that Finecast is toxic.
Where does that come from?

Are there MSDS sheets available?
Don't know you can look it up if you like. I posted a warning and a link some time ago.
I don't think toxic is the correct term. Some of the chemicals involved in it's manufacture have been associated/not proof of with Gynecomastia. Is someone claiming it is not toxic? Remember asbestos is an inert substance and non toxic. I believe at least one scientist claimed you can eat plutonium.

I am not a chemical engineer.When I heard about the association I asked. The answer was no proof but don't breath the dust or handle it without gloves until it cures. So it is at least as dangerous as lead. If you want to believe me fine, just don't be surprised when someone calls you Sally. :lol:
Sorry, I am not picking on you. I could not resist the bad joke.

So how do you handle lead or Fine Cast for that matter. Wear gloves until it is primmed. Don't breath the dust and keep it out of the reach of children. AKA as don't eat it.

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

To be honest the effects of lead wont be apparent if your just handling a few minis. Sure if you licked every lead model you brought then you would probably get lead poisoning but a tiny amount wont harm you much. It's probably the same with finecast.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

http://www.manboobshelp.com/causes-of-m ... -man-boobs

According to a new report in the journal Reproductive Toxicology, early exposures to the BPA chemical commonly found in canned foods (short for bisphenol-A) could promote abnormal breast growth in boys and adult men due as it is one of the hormone disruptors. BPA is found in many products, including baby bottles, plastic containers and even nature (air, water and sand).

So what is bisphenol A?
Bisphenol A (BPA) is an organic compound used to make polycarbonate polymers and epoxy resins, along with other materials used to make plastics. It is a colorless solid that is soluble in organic solvents

It took about 1/2 a minute to find it

The key- soluble in organic solvents including water. That means wear gloves. Something else to me aware of, some of the solvents like MEK are strongly linked to liver damage.

Black1blade you are correct about the effect of lead in adults but not children. The effects of BPA are unproven so eating this form could be different.
Lets not take the chance wear gloves.

Quote:
I can only imagine any manufacturer of toy soldiers for children, and children at heart, was selling a toxic product,

What about the manufacture of baby bottles? They also have a lot to lose. Read up on some of the new food safe plastics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's probably not any worse than drinking coca-cola.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

black1blade wrote:
It's probably not any worse than drinking coca-cola.

:lol: Those are fighting word for someone from Atlanta :-X

GW metal miniatures are made of tin. You could lick them to the cows come home and not have a problem :oops:

At least Fine Cast won't make your teeth fall out :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I must say I prefer plastic. Even relatively old miniatures like the galadhrim are amazing. The new hobbit woodlevles with probably cement that fact. I would definitely choose metal over finecast unless it was for my dragon. :-D
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Interesting that , the topic has diverted to the Health and Safety regarding the materials used in the production of the models. I dont mind really makes for interesting reading , although if GW say its safe. I best get the old blow torch out and buy me a furnace to see how REALLY safe it is :D cue noxious fumes hehe