All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:28 am

Post subject: Re: Painted Hobbit Miniature Archive.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Faces look fine to me - Well done Bilbo. Keep it up.

They are too flat. The shading isn't in the right places and there is a lack of visible highlighting. It just appears as one solid block of colour, and the skin tone isn't right for a dwarf either.

The shading needs to be in around he nose, lower lip, under the eyes and in the sunken areas of the cheeks. The highlights should be on the brow, cheeks, nose, upper lips and chin.

The skin tone should be ruddy, adding terracotta to the flesh mix is a good method and giving the cheeks a light red glaze.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Faces look fine to me - Well done Bilbo. Keep it up.

Cheers Guv,

Tis better to be talked about than not! Personally I feel that Gloin needs smaller eyes and more sin definition, however the Erebor Captain Oin (who frankly just will not photograph well) are at the limit of my capabilities
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't worry chaps, I am pretty thick skinned and fair criticism is more than welcome! I do enjoy my painting when I can and have really enjoyed the painting hobbit range, especially as I have really pulled out the stops even with horde army troops like the goblins. No lazy black clothing etc, however sometimes its a bit of a trial trying to do as best as you can with each model, but the effort has and will continue to pay off. I just hope that I can find time to finish Azog and his entourage for the November challenge!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bilbo wrote:
Don't worry chaps, I am pretty thick skinned and fair criticism is more than welcome! I do enjoy my painting when I can and have really enjoyed the painting hobbit range, especially as I have really pulled out the stops even with horde army troops like the goblins. No lazy black clothing etc, however sometimes its a bit of a trial trying to do as best as you can with each model, but the effort has and will continue to pay off. I just hope that I can find time to finish Azog and his entourage for the November challenge!

I know what you mean, sometimes it's just simpler to paint them to tabletop standard.

I can't wait to see your Azog; are you painting him white or the same colour as your other models?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I can't wait to see your Azog; are you painting him white or the same colour as your other models?[/quote]

I will definitely produce a bespoke colour for Azog, I am caught between the bluish tone of the C.G.I. film Azog (which does not make sense with pink scar tissue) but will almost certainly go with the white flesh used by Weta on their superb models.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bilbo wrote:
I can't wait to see your Azog; are you painting him white or the same colour as your other models?

I will definitely produce a bespoke colour for Azog, I am caught between the bluish tone of the C.G.I. film Azog (which does not make sense with pink scar tissue) but will almost certainly go with the white flesh used by Weta on their superb models.[/quote]

White isn't an easy colour to paint, have you any methods in mind?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Not sure yet, I intend to experiment with blue and pink flesh tones.