All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:03 am

Post subject: Grey Company!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Howdy chaps and chappettes!

First post here, so greetings to you all!

I've been collecting LOTR figures for a number of years (but not really painting them), on and off, but have now just started to get serious with it. I hope to play the SBG game soon when I get enough figures painted, and find someone to play with!!

At present though, I'm working on the Grey Company at a scale of 1:1, including Aragorn, Halbarad, Elladan and Elrohir. The book states that 30 men marched south to Aragorns aid, but I wanted to know, does that number include Halbarad and the twins, or are they counted separately?

So would I need 30 figures, plus Aragorn? Or would I need 3o, plus the Characters?

I really don't like GW's Grey Company figures, so I'll be using the Rangers of the North models, and and a box of Rangers of Middle Earth.

So, thanks for your help in advance! :)

Ryan
 Post subject: Re: Grey Company!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bill Ferney wrote:
The book states that 30 men marched south to Aragorns aid, but I wanted to know, does that number include Halbarad and the twins, or are they counted separately?

I just read the passage; it doesn't say specifically but I'm under the impression that there were thirty Rangers of North, plus Halbarad and the Elven twins.

Will you include Gimli and Legolas?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hmm, I wonder where the number came from then... :?:

Anywho... I probably will include them for display, yes. Although, when I get round to gaming with them (no bow limit according to LOME, which is nice) I'll probably have scenarios based in the north when Aragorn was a ranger :-D
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bill Ferney wrote:
Hmm, I wonder where the number came from then... :?:

It's right there in the "The Passing of the Grey Company" chapter:

Quote:
'I have thirty with me,' said Halbarad. 'That is all of our kindred that could be gathered in haste; but the brethren Elladan and Elrohir have ridden with us, desiring to go to war.'

As he has thirty with him, that obviously excludes Halbarad himself. Also, he specifically relates the 30 as being of his kindred - Elladan and Elrohir aren't (being 3/4-Elves), so they can't be included either. So it's Aragorn + Halbarad + Elladan & Elrohir + 30 Rangers + Legolas & Gimli for the Grey Company as it passed through the Paths of the Dead. The thing that makes it tough to really make it fit, though, is that they were all mounted! :o Ok, they didn't take their horses to the Battle of the Pelennor, but they had them all the way to Pelargir!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cool,
I am buidling the same force and had the same query .....
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wonder if there's a journey book for the Grey company, a campaign scenario in either "The Return of The King" book, "Gondor in Flames", etc. You have your 30 Dunedain/RotN/Grey Company models + the 6 characters. You play through five scenarios: Paths of the Dead, Battle at Pelargir, Taking of the Corsair ships, Landing at the Harbor (Harland?), then finally the fields of Pelennor.

So through the campaign whoever dies remains dead. As it goes on you recruit a number of Warriors of the Dead + King, the Clansmen of Lamedon with Angbor and at the last scenario Rohan with Eomer/Eowyn/Merry, Dol Amroth with Imrahil, & Knights of Minas Tirith.