All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:04 am

Post subject: my 1000 point SBG army
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok, I've assembled a new army since I've not played for so long and my stuff got muggled up. It's Rohan and Gondor, I'll be doing a Mordor one soon too.

Aragorn (with Anduril) = 250
Gandalf the White = 220
Eomer = 75

4 Riders of Rohan with spears, 8 Riders of Rohan with swords = 164
6 Warriors of Rohan with spears, 6 with bows and 6 with swords = 138
7 Warriors of Minas Tirith with swords, 7 with spears = 119
1 Warrior of Minas Tirith with banner = 32

Total: 998

Any good or could it be improved somewhat?

Post subject: Re: my 1000 point SBG army
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This should probably be in the army help section, but anyway, your numbers are way too low. At thousand points you should really aim for 75 models, you have 48.
 Post subject: Re: my 1000 point SBG army
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

As said, numbers are a huge problem. Too much invested in heroes. Truth is you can't really include more than one major hero in a list like this (unless you go with an all-hero army, but that's beyond me). Plus they aren't optimized, eg: Eomer at least needs a horse to be more effective and help the cavalry escape a loss of priority after a charge, and a shield to cut the odds of stray arrows. You have very little shooting: only 4 riders and 6 WoR. In 1000 points your opponent can field 75 models, some of which will be trolls and wraiths that can match your best heroes, and the rest will be on par with or better than what you have in terms of Fight and Strength, and probably defence, so you will need good shooting and lots of it to cut their numbers down.

Lots of possible alternatives. If you want the Rohan/Gondor alliance, you might try basing it around Faramir and Eomer and see how many troops you can pack in. Sprinkling in a few elites like Rohan Royal Guard and Citadel Guard can help hold critical lines. If you use Faramir as a Ranger leader you can include Rangers in addition to WoMT which improves your shooting. Alternately, you could include a small Grey Company contingent which should help your bow count. Boromir with banner is probably a better deal than the warrior with banner + Aragorn. If you really want a major wizard, Saruman the White is a much better deal than Gandalf, White or Grey. Lots of ways to skin this cat...