All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:30 am

Post subject: Using Might for Fate
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was thinking during a game today about using Might to make Fate rolls successful. When do people use Might for their Fate rolls? What would be the maximum amount of Might you would use? Is it more important to have Might or Wounds left?

In general, I would rather have the Wounds than the Might, as I don't like my expensive models to be vulnerable. Although I recognise that the main role of Heroes is to provide Might, I also think that they do have other roles that are worth spending Might on to secure.

Post subject: Re: Using Might for Fate
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I would lean towards spending might to keep a wound, but it really depends on the situation. If I'm planning or need a heroic action soon, I might risk losing the wound, especially on a high Def model, but getting close to breaking means wounds are more important, especially on the evil side.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree. I would especially use Might to avoid having a Hero in "critical" (one wound and no fate), as in that state he can be killed relatively easily by practically anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The logical thing to do would be to not use fate at all as long as you have might left (except for the last wound of course).
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I recall a discussion about that quite some time ago, and the general agreement was it's best to use fate when you need it. Wounds are better than fate because you know where you stand. Concrete knowledge is better than probabilities.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whafrog wrote:
I recall a discussion about that quite some time ago, and the general agreement was it's best to use fate when you need it. Wounds are better than fate because you know where you stand. Concrete knowledge is better than probabilities.

In principle I agree, but it's important ro remember that the knowledge thing goes for your opponent as well, if you have more information then so does he.

When it comes to my previous point. Let's say that you suffer a wound and still have one or two left. You choose to use fate but you roll a 3 or even worse, a 2. Now let's say you elect not to use Might and thus suffer a wound. A few turns later you are wounded again (your last) and you use a fate roll. This tme you roll to low to modify it with might, thus your hero dies. My point is that by doing this my way you remove most of the dilemma.
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with The Horde Lord - while concrete knowledge of the amount of damage you can sustain is helpful, I think it's better to be able to know for sure when to use Might to boost rolls. Granted, this depends on the situation because you may be in a position in which you need to use Might earlier on for heroics, in which case using Fate first would be better.

Another thing to keep in mind (though not widely applicable), is the fact that many special attacks/rules (Morgul blade, the Dragon's fire breathing, King of the Dead's attacks, siege weapons, Cave Drake's swallowing ability, etc.) can automatically remove all wounds but can be avoided through the use of Fate. Obviously most of the models with those types of attacks aren't seen frequently in everyday play, but in any game involving them it would be a no-brainer to save your Fate and take Wounds first instead.

"With hope in our hearts, and wings on our heels" - Chariots of Fire