Loremaster
Loremaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isXNJMhBteY

Thought I would spread the video.
 Post subject: Re: An Open (Video) Letter to Games Workshop
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I thought he made some good points. I doubt the fossils at GW will get it though.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with whafrog. All he said was good, but why would GW take notice? Surely they know his points already.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I posted this on B&C and got the same reaction, why would GW notice and do anything.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I saw it on Beasts of War.

The best point he made was actually about the pioneering company: I remember visiting the original Games Workshop store in London in the 1980's, and the excitement of the late 80's-early 90's when GW were doing great things at reasonable prices - they did discounts and army deals that were significantly cheaper than individual blisters or boxes. They had the bulk of the fantasy and sci-fi wargaming market (but none of the 'real world' wargaming, and that is a HUGE market and includes a more extended demographic who have considerable spending capacity).

Privateer Press and others like Mantic will take some of the sci-fi, fantasy and steam-punk genre fans. Then the LotR/The Hobbit mob have no option but to get GW or nothing for many of their Middle-earth purchases. 40K fans - GW or nothing.

But look at films like Gladiator, Centurion, The Eagle. Interest in ancient wargames is growing as films depicting those times are made to the highest standards - Warlord have just released Hail Caesar rules. And some of the real world minis fit quite comfortably into Middle-earth - like Gripping Beast's Saxons and Vikings. The best examples of the new kids on the block outsmarting the original architects are all those Asian economies like Japan, China and South Korea, who saw American and European technologies and developed them further, came up with better working methods and are now leading many of the technological advances themselves. A Game of Thrones is on HBO; FFG have several games set in Westeros and I could see 25/28mm battle games coming eventually. There are beautiful minis sculpted already but they are more like collectors pieces.

If GW want to rest on their laurels, that is their choice. But if I was them, I would want to take a very long hard look at the medium and long term future of the company. The same goes for many companies out there. I was looking at 15mm WW2 minis recently and found one new company turning out plastic tanks and infantry at about half the cost of the 3 major manufacturers who prefer resin and metal. The minis are rule independent - you could apply any of literally hundreds of WW2 skirmish or battle rules to minis from any company that caters for the era. All that competition makes for a better deal for us, the paying customer. After all, if we were not buying, none of these companies would exist.

I have not bought and GW minis for about a year now (not that I NEED to :roll: )

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought it was interesting to watch. I already thought their prices were too high to begin with so its just more icing on the cake. I'll just keep buying them slowly off Craigslist, although I do need to fill up my Hobbit militia besides all the multiples of Frodo,Sam,Merry and Pippin.