PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SO EXPENSIVE!
Metal Nazgul = $54.00
Finecast Nazgul = $64.00
Finecast Troll Chieftain = $77.00
HOLY HELL
I was told that finecast material is cheaper than metal but oh well NZ price so high

Post subject: Re: finecast in new zealand
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Prices are crazy mad here in Japan too. The new 4-model command sets are 5400 yen each, which works out to around US$70. For Finecast! Ridiculous. That's why I'm scouring eBay for old metals, and trying to work a little conversion magic to make hornblowers and other models.

I think the people paying premium eBay prices are people like us in places like Australia, NZ, and Japan etc. It still works out much cheaper than local GW stores.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ikr.
so expensive for just one damn troop model

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's so expenzinve because a. Everything has to be shipped to your countries, which costs money. b. Your countries has pretty high tax rates.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
It's so expenzinve because a. Everything has to be shipped to your countries, which costs money. b. Your countries has pretty high tax rates.

Well, everything was working fine before GW prohibited online stores in the US and UK from selling their products here. Those online stores were shifting GW products (which they'd acquired from GW for that purpose, so GW got their share) and making money.

Then GW decided to block those sales, forcing people here to buy only from GW stores at more than twice the US/UK price. So I swore I'd never buy models at a GW store again. Thank God for eBay!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well,GW does have a right to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am so happy I live in Europe. The prices here are just outrageous, not OUTRAGEOUS :-D .

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
Well,GW does have a right to do that.

I agree: it absolutely does have that right. I don't think anyone is disputing GW's right to do this. Any business has the right to make whatever decisions it wants (operating within the law, obviously).

I just think this business decision is a bad one, both selfishly (I have to pay a lot more for GW models now, which makes me less likely to buy 'em) and more generally (in this current age, and in this particular hobby, people will find web-based workarounds to sales monopolies, and GW will lose cash dolla on sales; also, existing player backlash will make them even less popular than ever). But maybe that backlash won't be significant enough to bother them. We'll see. I think they'll be riding high on the Hobbit for a while, anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GW just plain sucks. HATE!

They have the right to do whatever they want for their business, doesn't mean we have to like it or buy it for that matter.

Boycott.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sacrilege83 wrote:
GW just plain sucks. HATE!

They have the right to do whatever they want for their business, doesn't mean we have to like it or buy it for that matter.

Boycott.

lol thats why everyone buy on ebay or other websites instead of buying from GW ^^ GW is a tottaly bull****! :-D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Boycott.

If I had a pound for how many times that has been said...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If all you do is buy from Ebay, then how will you get the new stuff? If you get the new stuff off of Ebay, then SOMEONE had to buy it first. I know a lot of guys who buy stuff, paint it, then sell it to buy the new stuff. The only way to really boycott GW is to NOT buy anything made by them. Which I think we all know isn't gonna happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Draugluin wrote:
If all you do is buy from Ebay, then how will you get the new stuff? If you get the new stuff off of Ebay, then SOMEONE had to buy it first. I know a lot of guys who buy stuff, paint it, then sell it to buy the new stuff. The only way to really boycott GW is to NOT buy anything made by them. Which I think we all know isn't gonna happen.

Thats what I'm doing buying painting and then selling on ebay to fund the new releases

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Ya, so buying only from Ebay is NOT boycotting at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I wouldn't boycott GW anyway, I don't really care about the price increase as I'm too far into a collection to stop now. Just means more ebaying to support my habit lol

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Quote:
Boycott.

If I had a pound for how many times that has been said...

True, you would probably be able to buy the whole miniature range. Sometimes it's just too damn hard to resist to buy something new that actually looks good. So I could understand people not sticking to their boycott plan/new year's resolution. The biggest deal for me to boycott is the "Hobbit" miniature range when it comes out, more specifically Smaug. If I personally 100% ever complete my backlog, I just might pick up that model at full price despite the finecast.

Draugluin wrote:
If all you do is buy from Ebay, then how will you get the new stuff? If you get the new stuff off of Ebay, then SOMEONE had to buy it first. The only way to really boycott GW is to NOT buy anything made by them. Which I think we all know isn't gonna happen.

I don't necessarily agree with that statement. To be honest I won't personally ever be 100% done with GW, but I refuse to buy lower grade material finecast at their expensive full retail price unless it's a model I very VERY much want as stated above. I would still buy GW products at discount price though when I find the deals. I'm buying second hand as we speak right now.

And that's the thing buying second hand or waiting for a liquidation sale. Of course it will be a gamble to wait on the models you truly want, but hey tons of people have backlogs that just put their really wanted models on the back burner for ages. So the more you wait eventually the models you want will show up somewhere. Buying second hand does hurt GW; like you said Draugluin someone has to get the model at full price first and then sell it off for possibly way cheaper. I'm sure GW would rather prefer selling multiple copies of a miniature to customers paying at a full retail price than have 1 customer buy a miniature then sell it off to another potential GW customer; in the end GW only sold 1 model to 1 customer. When you're buying off of e-bay you're buying second-hand, this is money not going towards GW.

IF the Aussies, Japs & Kiwies can find deals on the internet more power to them and less to GW. Why do you think GW put a prohibition on independent web stores for? They were losing out on money. Can't stop e-bay though.

The question is now with the lower quality in material that finecast is (metal is way better IMO & many others), lesser quantity in plastic packages with a higher price per model, and higher prices in general; who is going to continue on buying GW products at full price and up to what point? You're either filthy rich or obsessively crazy and/or ignorant when it comes to spending. I don't think that sort of clientel is quite common among the general populations of the world. I also don't think that this hobby that we partake in is quite popular enough in communities with the exception being the UK. AND... out of the "big three" GW miniature ranges, LOTR is the least popular. There's a reason why I see things turning bleak for GW, but then again I'm no business expert, just a keyboard warrior and hater/disgruntled customer. :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've always bought on ebay, even before the crazy price rises, just because i'm always looking for the cheap. I have no experience with finecast but I really hated large metal models. Especially cavalry and trolls. So I wasn't too sad about them discontinued. Although I do like metal troops (such as heroes and elites)