All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:32 pm

Post subject: in need of ideas...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm new to the website and I just joined, but I've been playing sbg since I was a kid and recently got back into it with a friend I met from school who also used to play it. Now with tons of new miniatures we've had a few battles which I've won and it's been "to the death." But I've begun to lose hope. He's taken advantage of the allying forces, and now has one massive block of units, that is ridiculous.
Front line, Archers
Second line iron guard
third line, evlen spearmen
fourth line, guards of gladrium court

sprinkled with heroes like gil-gilad and elrond makes it even tougher, but most annoying of all he has ciron who he'll cast blinding light with and will stop my archers from doing damage till he's out of will.

Originally what I've been doing is using my harad against him with corsair arbalasters doing lots of work and half trolls finishing off the pieces, but now with his 6F, 4A and 4S, I'm running out of ideas.
I haven't tried it yet, but I've been combinding some of my Eastern kingdoms and Harad/Umbar, and what I thought about doing was using my mumak (for the first time ever) and have it protect khamul on a fellbeast from behind and have kataphrakt far enough away from it so stampede won't hurt it, with corsair arbalasters in the back waiting for khamul to sap ciron's will.

Suggestions please :oops: ? (btw about 1000 points and sbg)
 Post subject: Re: in need of ideas...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds like it's time for a swarm of goblins, with prowlers and blackshields getting better chances of wounding. Throw in a Shade behind the blackshields and watch his line fall.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

any harad/easterling ideas so I don't have to start a new army?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
but now with his 6F, 4A and 4S, I'm running out of ideas.

A 4-line formation of:
Archers
Iron Guards
Elven Spearmen
Galadhrim Guards

doesn't combine all its stats. The front archer has 1 attack at F5 and nothing else because he's not supported. Then once the archers are gone then the Iron Guard does have 4 attacks, but they're with F4, not 6 - Fight value is not given to the model being supported. Essentially making a front line charge with Boromir (or Suladan, or whatever other F5+ hero you can think of) and calling a heroic combat means you insta-kill 4 Iron Guards as they're pretty useless against big heroes.

Please have a proper read of the rules and play after - I'm sure this will help you a lot.

If you're still having trouble... in 1000pts your opponent will have

Gil Galad
Elrond
Cirion
12 archers
12 irons
12 spearmen
12 pikemen
(and some 30-40 points left

That is only 51 models. You can have:

Shadow Lord
Dark Marshal
Shade
35 Corsair Reavers
35 Haradrim Spearmen

I can guarantee that you would have to be the biggest noob of all time to lose this game. You just move forward and roll dice, autowinning most combats and killing everything super fast. There is a lot of ways of beating your opponent.

If the above idea doesn't interest you then as Whafrog says just take whatever, any sort of a swarm and throw in a shade. You virtually can't lose, as it's a super-powerful counter made to counter exactly what you described as your opponent.

Of course if you were to use the new rules, then neither of your armies would be legal, but his army would be far far smaller anyway.