All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:08 am

Post subject: Why didn't GW release a Last Alliance supplement?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As the title says, why on earth didn't they? New High Elf (Noldor) units were sure to sell well, yet GW shot for the Fall of Arnor and suchlike instead of trying to heap in money. Elves play a large part in Tolkien's universe and there are quite some fans of them for the background. More importantly however is the opening scene in the Fellowship of the Ring movie, with Elrond and Gil-Galad commanding a lot of elves in splendid armour which volley fired and slaughtered orcs by the sword in a memorable way. The impression from this short scene certainly stuck with all those who watched the movie which I've talked to at length.

Oh, and then the NĂºmenoreans were good, too. A shame only the Good side's plastic box for this movie was a mix of elves and men, instead of two separate boxes.

With these things in mind, ladies and gentlemen, please explain to me why GW failed to release a Last Alliance supplement. :?

Post subject: Re: Why didn't GW release a Last Alliance supplement?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I imagine because the range is pretty limited. The brief scene in LotR is great, but does not show a lot of variety in troop type. I believe they are prohibited from creating their own stuff that is not Third Age, so they probably felt they didn't have enough to work with. Also, Elves could be grouped more easily with the Free Peoples, and Numenorians with Men.

But maybe PJ will change some of that.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If they had done so, I could picture three distinct plastic boxed sets: Numenoreans, High Elves and Mordor Orcs. Of course, all three have been done previously but they are among the most criticized minis in the range. Beyond that, things like Numenorean Command, Anarion foot and mounted, Numenorean knights and mounted Elendil could have been produced.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I for one would kill to get some 2nd Age Elven Cavalry! I've debated buying some Knights of Dol Amroth and some High Elf Spearmen to convert some, but it'd be too costly for me, especially now the Spearmen are finecast. I mean, that's ignoring the fact that as of right now a High Elf can't actually TAKE a horse.

If the rumours about the Hobbit are true though, we could get some more Elf units. It's exciting, but I think the whole Last Alliance needs expanded on tbh - Some new sculpts in a multi-part kit to make Elves with Elven Blades/Hand Weapons, Bows, or Spears, and the option to add Shields, would be fab.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I for one would kill to get some 2nd Age Elven Cavalry! I've debated buying some Knights of Dol Amroth and some High Elf Spearmen to convert some, but it'd be too costly for me, especially now the Spearmen are finecast. I mean, that's ignoring the fact that as of right now a High Elf can't actually TAKE a horse.

If the rumours about the Hobbit are true though, we could get some more Elf units. It's exciting, but I think the whole Last Alliance needs expanded on tbh - Some new sculpts in a multi-part kit to make Elves with Elven Blades/Hand Weapons, Bows, or Spears, and the option to add Shields, would be fab.

The Hobbit Diary #8 did show some High Elven horsemen. Hopefully we'll get minis of them and rules to accompany.

Honestly, High Elves were some of my first models. Unfortunately, box layout, price and scale issues prevented me from doing an entire army of them...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If scale is a problem with you, you might as well quit LotR altogether, most items are not to scale with something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
If scale is a problem with you, you might as well quit LotR altogether, most items are not to scale with something.

I've never really noticed scale problems with Elves, tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Shieldmaiden wrote:

Must be a man thing lol :wink:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shieldmaiden wrote:

The metals were a bit bigger than the plastics. Yeah, it's an issue with a lot of things in the range. For Orcs I don't care as much (because what does an "average" Orc look like? JRRT even said there was quite a variety of sizes) and Dwarves suffer much less from it, imo. A metal Rohan Royal Guard next to a plastic Warrior of Rohan does bother me though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

One of the worst is the Black Numenoreans who are nearly twice the size of the mounted counterparts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One of the worst is the Black Numenoreans who are nearly twice the size of the mounted counterparts.

AH, I don't have any of those. Seems odd though, as every other instance I've noticed was metal vs. plastic...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Its the same withs ome other ft vs mtd as well, regardless of material, the metal Morgul Knights are bigger than the plastic ones, but both are smaller than the foot versions. And there are man-sized plastic models that are a head taller than other man-sized plastic models, same with metal. Anyway, I think we are going off tangent a little.

Why couldn't there have been plastic 2nd age orcs rather than 3rd age as they looked a little better? well metal to plastic did anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:56 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Why couldn't there have been plastic 2nd age orcs rather than 3rd age as they looked a little better? well metal to plastic did anyway.

We will get some kind of new plastic orcs shortly. 8) Hey :!: I thought you would be excited about the werewolf rumor :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I should hope we do, the Orcs in the Hobbit should look different.

I was exite dabout werewolves for a bout 3 seconds, because after that I decided that I'm nigh positive its a false rumour. I will get exited about werewolves more if they pop up in advance order, or dezartfox or similar finds a proper printeable release list.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

They could have very easily done a Last alliance supplement maybe in like the last two year where they barely released anything to add to the elf, human armies I swear there were dwarfs there as well they just weren't shown in the film so there was room for expansion in the range there I'm thinking new elves and men with there own boxes, Durin IV and Anarion as well as possible some Royal Guard style dwarfs that would have been great.

You could easily do a last alliance army after The Hobbit has been released as Rivendell is in the first film so if they are going to add new units it will be then add to this to the fact that elves live for like ever so along with Elrond and Gil-galad you should take Galadriel, Celeborn, Thranduil, Cirdan and Legolas whilst staying on theme. As for the Dwarves use the rules for the Durin that already exists for Durin IV and the Dwarf Kings and Captains for other heroes then you can use the units that already exist (and any new ones) as the dwarf army. Lastly Isildur and Elendil already have models and I assume current rules (I don't have the new sourcebook) so the only problem is Numenorian troops I suppose you could use Minas Tirth guys but ebay may just have some cheap Numenor troops.