All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:25 am

Post subject: Need help tracking down stolen LOTR minis and a RoB boar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi all.

I've posted this on TLA and RPG.net

I'm in the Eastern Townships of Quebec and today I realised that the weird missing space beside a looted suitcase was my Realm of Battle Game board and three Citadel cases full of metal minis.

I've been storing the figures here because my apartment in Montreal is too small to keep such things in, something that really annoyed me, but it was necessary. I was looking forward to moving in summer to a bigger place I could even play some games in.

For context:

Someone's been breaking into various houses and sheds in the town, mostly targeting older people. The in laws have a craft workshop and have lived here for thirty years. In the last year, someone has stolen kayaks, and a lot of irreplaceable tools. More recently, they broke into the main outbuilding and ransacked through some things a friend was storing here. I went to check something for her today and realise: oh Devlan Mud, my realm of Battle was gone. Then double checked and oh god-sweet-damnit, my three figure cases are gone.

Worse, someone in the village knows who it is, and "won't grass, man" which I am sure is highly admirable, just not to me right now.

Anyway, if someone recently bought a fully flocked, but unvarnished Realm of Battle, using dark GW grass, with the Citadel hill sets thrown in with it, with the skulls covered up, could you contact me? I'd love it back, it was a gift from a dear friend, but if someone's little brother got such a thing and is loving it, then it's my gift to them. Mostly what I want to know is the name of who they got it from, so I can contact them and trace this back to the source. Because the someone who stole this is robbing from vulnerable old people, who can ill afford to replace their items, and if I can track that person down, I can stop him stealing important things from pensioners.

Thanks so much in advance!

Gavin

Post subject: Re: Need help tracking down stolen LOTR minis and a RoB boar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Have you called the cops? If you know someone who knows the thief force the name out of them or threaten to call the police on them. What they have stolen from you alone is worth in excess of $500 dollars i assume, as would be kayaks and power tools!

Seriously, go to the police with this, before he sells your stuff!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah i totally agree, go to the cops and get beck your stuff before it is to late

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Disgusting. I hope you find out who took it and they throw the book at them. Go to the cops for sure!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, since they were stored in a workshop (beside the house) this could have happened any time in the last two weeks. It was all there 'round about then, but the workshop isn't really used in the winter, and spring just started here.

The various thefts over the last year have all been reported, but the cops weren't desperately interested (they prefer chasing drug dealers :p)

But right now we're stock taking, trying to figure out what was lost. Like I said, it is highly likely that it was someone who worked here in the craft studio.

I still would like to hear from anyone in Quebec who recently came by a second hand Realm of Battle - the board has sentimental value, but its also the easiest thing to identify as mine and link it back to whoever stole it. Because despite me losing some miniatures (which is sad), lots of old people in the vicinity have lost a lot of important things, which is tragic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

We recently had a more complicated case in Tunbridge Wells that potentially looked like contributing to English case law, however it was somewhat nipped in the bud. Very sorry that this has happened, I hope that the culprit is swiftly brought to justice, with a favourable result!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bilbo wrote:
We recently had a more complicated case in Tunbridge Wells that potentially looked like contributing to English case law, however it was somewhat nipped in the bud. Very sorry that this has happened, I hope that the culprit is swiftly brought to justice, with a favourable result!

Me too. It sucks for me, but I suspect if this situation is left alone, the likely thief guy will just escalate and god knows where things go from then.

Also gives me a bloody good reason to complain about GW price rises: I could never, ever replace what was lost. heh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Man, that sucks. I'm not in the area, so I can't really help, but I wish you luck, and hope that you/someone else can find your figures/board. Keep an eye out on ebay/kijiji, you never know if they might show up...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Aww, man that really sucks. If you do happen to find them make Gandalf turn them into a toad or something :-D But seriously, hope the guy/girl gets caught.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good luck, go to the police.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, the Surete du Quebec were over yesterday (and lord, don't policemen look young nowadays :p), and one oddly useful thing about my loss was this:

- I told them the replacement value of the items? Big pile of old metal LOTR figures and Mithrils, as well as a Realm of Battle? Replacing them nowadays would cost 'round about 5 grand.
- added to my friend's wedding ring and the in-law's rather important tools bumps the theft value into the stratosphere of around 10 grand.

Which means this is not some penny ante "you lost a 200 dollar DVD player that could go for 60 today" crime, but something more serious. Which, again, considering the likely culprit is randomly stealing from old people hereabouts means the cops are more inclined to do something about it.

So, we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Have you any pictures of the miniatures or the collection as a whole? Will your household insurance pay out?

I have a few images of my collection with the odd detailed image of the standard of painting, along with a spreadsheet of what I have painted or otherwise in case the house goes up in flames!

Its sounds a bit much, but took a couple of hours to do and I update it which takes a couple of minutes every month or so.

If you can pop some images of the stolen items, we can always keep an eye out on ebay etc, you never know, we may find that a crime has been solved by vigilance on this site.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^Agreed, show images on here so we know them if we come across it on e-bay, kiji, etc. I hope you posted about this on wargamingmontreal.com as well. Have you lost all of your collection? Sorry to hear about this, I was about to message you about playing a few games as well this summer.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here's one being sold as of April 29th:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95296839@N ... hotostream