All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:34 am

Post subject: July White Dwarf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Does anyone know if there is much Hobbit stuff in it? To make it worth buying.

Post subject: Re: July White Dwarf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:39 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I not sure but as I don't game, I haven't bought it in years, at least once the great painting guides game to an end.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

new releases, there is azog, young thorin, balin and dwalin (like in the moria flashback). part from that, i didnt see anything else, but i havent read through all of it yet, just scanned.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Are there any rules? If the only way I can get them is in another hardback, I'm finished with GW.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

All the rules are in the main Hobbit hardback rulebook that came out in December. What we have this month is (IMO) some very nice alternative sculpts for the dwarves and the long awaited Azog mini, no issues with rules at all.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not worth it for lotr alone. It has 2 pages for the new releases and that's all. No rules are there either.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi Dr. Grant, I was hoping for new rules for the dwarves representing their younger age and heavier armour at the battle Azanulbizar. I suspect that they will release rules for them in the same publication that GW has promised rules for Yazneg in. I would prefer to see a soft back expansion rather than another £50 quid hard back .
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ah I see, fair enough. I hadn't thought that they'd have different rules to be honest, the only real contender would be Balin to make him stronger and that would give him 3 profiles! I think the figures are just there for aesthetic choice personally although I could be wrong.

As for the promised publication I now suspect that they are actually talking about the Desolation of Smaug supplement that will include profiles for the two first films much like the Return of the King rulebook did back in 2003. The closer we get to the new movie the less I think there will be a dedicated Unexpected Journey book released.

As always though this is just me shooting the breeze, who knows, maybe next month there'll be an Unexpected Journey sourcebbok with rules for Yazneg and the flashback dwarves :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have to agree with you about a journey book being out of the question. I just feel annoyed that I have spent £50 on a hard back book which will be replaced twice over the next yow years.

I do however like the idea of having special profiles and miniatures to re-enact the battle, especially the heavy armoured Dwalin who's as hard as nails.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I really don't think it will be replaced. I doubt there will be another revision of the rules this Christmas, I think the book released will simply be a scenario/profile book that could go alongside the Hardback rulebook.

We won't know until December of course, that's just what I think and hope :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whilst I doubt there will be a new rulebook, I think we'll be lucky to not get a hardback. I think only death from the skies recently has been paperback. GW sure like there new rulebook every 4 years though, so I would be more worried about a new warhammer fantasy rulebook (only seems like yesterday when the last one came out...), and a £30ish hardback extension to the hobbit, with more profiles, scenarios, and maybe an update for larger battles?? I mean, if they dont completly nerf smaug to make him playable, the bloke did kill and destroy an entire city :shock: have to wait and see though.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just another glorified catalogue unfortunately. Where is the battle of Azanulbizar battle report using these fantastic new figures!?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

joelew2010 wrote:
Just another glorified catalogue unfortunately. Where is the battle of Azanulbizar battle report using these fantastic new figures!?

Quite! They simply do not support this range, the last thing we want is an article telling us what the product is, intricately describing the details on the product when we can see from the picture and have exactly the same thing on the website!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I mean, if they dont completly nerf smaug to make him playable, the bloke did kill and destroy an entire city :shock: have to wait and see though.[/quote]

Its worth remembering for those of you who have read the book how he died! Powerful, but vulnerable!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bilbo wrote:

Its worth remembering for those of you who have read the book how he died! Powerful, but vulnerable!

True, but some sort of dice role or something to hit the vulnerable spot on him would be pretty lame, I don't see how they could do it without a dice role to see if you hit the spot with no 'armour'. you would end with that lame situation where a camper in the corner kills your dragon in the first turn :(
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally I would rule out (no pun intended) an insta kill, and have the protective jems provide a higher defence to represent the extra armour, after all he has his natural dragon scale armour in the are over his heart, this could be represented by a free fate roll per turn.

With bard, he would have to have one of the following special rules relating to his bow:
a +1 to wound, d3 or d6 wounds caused instead of 1, wounds ignoring fate rolls, or perhaps a similar advantage.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I expect smaug will not be much better than the one from dark sword minis. Bard will probably have Duinhir's special rule for any monster as well.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/823 ... o?ref=live

I also expect PJ to change the way smaug dies to an arrow in the eye. That whole hole in the chest thing is not that great of a plot device. Far better if Bilbo, being as smart as he is in the book, realizes that the only way to hurt the dragon is to go for the eyes.
I am bothered by the scene in the trailer where Smaug actually sees Bilbo. I though Smaug did not "see" him until he was in front of the secret tunnel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shooting for the eyes sounds sensible enough, but they are a smaller target than an area the size of a balled dragons fist, which just happens to be exposed all the time when he is inflight above!

I think the trailer shows Smaug looking for Bilbo rather than actually finding him. The gigantic dragon coming up close will work much better dramatically in the film if he comes within a heir breadth of Bilbo, rather than if he is at the other end of the room.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

In terms of fluff the shooting Smaug through the tiny hole fits very well in the style of epic romance that Tolkien was trying to evoke in his work and I doubt they'll change that too much.

I'd had the same thoughts about Smaug: you have to make him really powerful but equally you have to be able to let Bard kill him. I agree with a lot of thoughts above that it won't be a specific weakness in Smaug but rather a special rule for Bard that grants him D3/D6 wounds against monsters or +1 to hit/wound or something similar.

There's also the interesting note that PJ has hinted at "black arrows" that are the only thing that can pierce the dragon's hide rather than a singular 'black arrow'. I believe we're going to see Girion defending Dale with these arrows against Smaug in the extended version of An Unexpected Journey. Perhaps in the movie Bard has then managed to find some of these ancient weapons and uses them to kill Smaug.

Ultimately I find cleverly made, barbed black arrows a neater narrative device that 1 singular black arrow that Bard has always reclaimed, which, like so many things in the Hobbit when you really think about it, is a bit silly.

:-)