All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:45 am

Post subject: New WIP and Campaigns help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys,

Just got a new camera for christmas that has a super macro setting that i cant wait to show you. The figures look awesome and i really wanna showcase them on here. My problem is that i want to show both the figures that i am painting, while also showing terrain and battle reports, pretty much the whole shebang. I dont really want it under one thread, but i dont want to have like 10 threads.

I was thinking maybe doing something like Celevue, which would be behind the scenes and the actual campaign. Tried to do a blog before, but it didnt work out so well as the photos were awful and i didnt like switching between OR comments and blog comments. Maybe i am thinking about this way too much, but any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Batman of The Shire

Post subject: Re: New WIP and Campaigns help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I personally just have all my WIP (and finished) projects in one thread (terrain, sculpting/converting, painting), but I cannot update it very often (once a month usually).
If you update it more regularly, you could have a few threads, one for painting, one for sculpting/converting, and one for terrain. Or, alternatively, you could of course go for one larger thread per project (say, a Moria project has one thread, one thread for a Harad project etc). Just whatever you feel is best, I guess.

Doing a campaign sounds great though! A behind the scenes makes sense then, and another thread for the reports would be cool (or perhaps some articles?).

As for the campaign itself: what will it be, and how will you do it? If you need some ideas about a campaign, I have loads (as I've been working on a fan supplement on map campaigns), so just ask if you'd like some help or ideas. ;)

Good luck!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What i have bern planning to do is to play through all of the published scenarios ever starting with the original fellowship of the ring book. The only thing that is stopping me from finishing it and publishing my stuff now is the fact that i have to find 240 orcs from somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, cool. You should definitely talk to metaal then, as he is assembling a list of all published scenarios! ;)
As for the 240 Orcs, I would try and team up with a few friends, gather all Orcs, and perhaps also Goblins and try to get as many as possible. Furthermore, I would just use reinforcements and all. Just note how many reinforcements are left.

Imagine having to buy 240 metal Orcs for that scenario, as it was back then! :shock:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know right, it definitely is a mighty task, but im hoping to complete it soon. Only 216 to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I guess the key reason for the behind-the-scenes thread is to show that the campaign continues even during the long breaks between the games, and for that reason, the thread contains only work related directly to the campaign (but then again, all that I do at the moment for this hobby is only campaign-related, with some added model railroading stuff later on - and that gets a thread to the non-GW talent showcase forum).

In hindsight, it might have been a good idea to split the behind the scenes into separate figures & terrain threads, as the full, single WIP thread will get quite long over the years. However, this could be mitigated by adding a rough index to the first post at some point. I will do this to both the behind the scenes and the battle report thread in the future when the threads start to go over 20 pages or so.

In any case, good luck with your project - looking forward to reading about it in both battle report and WIP forums!