All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:47 am

Post subject: This hobby is horribly depressing for me.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, first off: DISCLAIMER-This is in no way shape, or form a Games Workshop bashing topic. If you want to complain about them, do it another place. Although they are mentioned in here, its just because they happen to sell the products.

Ok, well now.....I just happened to have a lame day today involving this hobby.

I went out to run some errands, and I was close to my local games workshop which is 35-45 minutes away, and I decided to stop in.

I was looking at the LOTR Hobbit stuff to see what was out or get a look in person at the new sculpts, and also to check the book and see the stats and double check which new models were worth buying.

I come to find from the owner, that apparently (by his words) this was the largest Games Workshop in the United States. Even if its not, its big. Gotta be 20-30 tables in there.

I ask, and they have no store copy of the Desolation of Smaug book because probably theres nobody at all who even plays it there.

Second, they have not one model from the new line at all. Not one

In fact, they have one box of Palace Guards, 1 Thranduil, a couple Beorns, and a couple captains of some sort from the DOS. This, was the same stuff I saw from the day of release there.

Then, I say oh well, Ive seen it online. No biggie.

I went in Dec 6-7 whichever day was the release, and they told me to expect upcoming hobbit events and maybe tournaments.

I asked today, and they guaranteed me they will have absolutely no Hobbit events. In fact, its closing and the two new stores I contacted refuse to even reply when I messaged them asking about Hobbit events.

When I ask questions or talk about that being my hobby, Im always, always brushed off. Nobody either cares or has a clue. And its not GW! Its everywhere!

When I ask other hobby stores that even sell their products they act like I have a faucet growing out of my forehead the way they look at me!

The point being: What happened? When did the LOTR die?

I started buying stuff from these lines when the two towers or the ROTK were out, and even in a small store in a mall usually had a game or two going on....and that was a store with 6 tables.

Long story short, for work, I had to leave the hobby for 5 years.

I come back and I cannot find 5 people in Chicagoland to play with. Ive been looking for a month. Im sure there are some people, and Ive had 1 offer to play......
I mean, my county alone in Chicago has over 5 million people and this game cant catch a few dozen that play?

Its depressing. Ive signed up to adepticon its an event in Chicago and payed to enter the Hobbit competition. Im gonna get murdered. I havent played a competitive Hobbit game yet. Its the only way I can guarantee an event for myself, and its over an hour drive!

Does anyone know how and why this hobby died so badly? People love gaming and lord of the rings passionately, yet this game is shunned by many, and I think its a great system.

I really just want to call it quits some days and pack up my stuff for another few years..... :(

Ill keep looking till Adepticon, but wow.

Anyone have any idea for me because I have no clue. Its like this game exists and still sells models, but nobody is supposed to speak of it as if its been banished from the kingdom.

Post subject: Re: This hobby is horribly depressing.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The second round of DoS stuff hasn't cone out yet.

It has to be a location-related issue because my local store has sold through the new stock twice now and DoS has brought several new people to the hobby.

MOLON LABE
 Post subject: Re: This hobby is horribly depressing for me.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:37 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I always thought the hobby was pretty strong in Chicago. BrentS even commissioned a figure from me last year for his Bilbo Birthday Bash tournament attendees, and from the videos and pics I've seen there were more than a few people there. He's not around here very often these days, but I can hook you up with him if you like?

Have you followed the guys in this thread? http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22387

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ukfreddybear wrote:
I always thought the hobby was pretty strong in Chicago. BrentS even commissioned a figure from me last year for his Bilbo Birthday Bash tournament attendees, and from the videos and pics I've seen there were more than a few people there. He's not around here very often these days, but I can hook you up with him if you like?

Have you followed the guys in this thread? http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22387

Thanks a lot for the help. I did sign up but I havent been too active there yet. I guess Ill have to send some shout outs to people there......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:42 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Don't give up. You may have to take the lead and organize something yourself!
Good luck. Sorry you are so far away

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Man, Im TOTALLY willing to set up a league, with hell, 8 players! That would be awesome if we could get together on weekends or any days and play for a few months. Id be willing to fork out some prizes maybe out of my own pocket or with a small membership fee to throw in the pot.

IDK all Im saying is I was planning to do such a thing and Im having trouble finding people to play let alone set something up. Moment I get a few people, believe Ill be trying!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yup. You need to talk to a store manager/owner that is open to letting you host a demo night. Do this a couple of times and you should have a lead on some people who might like to play. One of the best ways to do this is to get a simple, yet cinematic scenario, one that recalls the movies, and set it up for people to come by and play for a few turns. Collect and paint up the forces for both sides, as well as some cool terrain if you can get some, and really catch people's attention. This is often a good hook, and then use the contacts you get to start an escalation league or Battle Companies campaign. I did this with LotR and 40K and was able to grow a group of 20+ people that formed a gaming club. You just have to have some bait!

As for Adepticon, make up some cards with your contact info and give them to anyone who might be in your area and be willing to meet up for some games.

Since moving, my current gaming group consists of my son and another fellow from church, but I have to provide all the miniatures, and occasional meet-ups with the old crew. Don't get discouraged. If you are willing to put some effort into it, then people will be willing to join in. Come on, it's too cool to refuse!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ
That is all.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
Don't give up. You may have to take the lead and organize something yourself!
Good luck. Sorry you are so far away

Thus is exactly what I did... I couldn't find anyone who played, but I joined a 40k club and set up a LotR section within it, now we have 4-5 regular players.

POST on every blog and website related to the hobby, you will eventually get some interest, just imagine there could be others just like you in your area, just put it out there and hopefully they will come!

Good luck, it's hard to get a group going, but so satisfying when you do. I now help run our club as one of the 4 organisers.

Hanging in there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

- Lotr has never been that popular of a game outside of UK.

- Most people are priced out from building up armies. It has become only for the rich and the hardcore fans.

- In my city alone, there are only a handful of players known to me who respond on the local forum. Probably there are others out there that are private players like myself and they don't go on forums. Also Warhammer has gone down in popularity over here for the past few years because you know the reasons why GW gets bashed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Erunion wrote:
Yup. You need to talk to a store manager/owner that is open to letting you host a demo night. Do this a couple of times and you should have a lead on some people who might like to play. One of the best ways to do this is to get a simple, yet cinematic scenario, one that recalls the movies, and set it up for people to come by and play for a few turns. Collect and paint up the forces for both sides, as well as some cool terrain if you can get some, and really catch people's attention. This is often a good hook, and then use the contacts you get to start an escalation league or Battle Companies campaign. I did this with LotR and 40K and was able to grow a group of 20+ people that formed a gaming club. You just have to have some bait!

As for Adepticon, make up some cards with your contact info and give them to anyone who might be in your area and be willing to meet up for some games.

Since moving, my current gaming group consists of my son and another fellow from church, but I have to provide all the miniatures, and occasional meet-ups with the old crew. Don't get discouraged. If you are willing to put some effort into it, then people will be willing to join in. Come on, it's too cool to refuse!

I know man. I really thought long and hard about talking to the owner thing......problem is, ALL of the local GW stores employees brush me off in almost a disrespectful way when I talk LOTR and I dont know any other gaming stores really.

Sacrilege83 wrote:
- Lotr has never been that popular of a game outside of UK.

- Most people are priced out from building up armies. It has become only for the rich and the hardcore fans.

- In my city alone, there are only a handful of players known to me who respond on the local forum. Probably there are others out there that are private players like myself and they don't go on forums. Also Warhammer has gone down in popularity over here for the past few years because you know the reasons why GW gets bashed.

Its crazy how much more I see from this game coming out of the UK.

Im admittedly jealous that you guys have so many people that are into this game. Here, people just dont appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Also it just depends on what store you go to. My two "local" GW's (both around 70 minutes away) are polar oposites on this. One in Denton Tx has a manager that LOVES LotR and he has as much space dedicated to it as 40k or Fantasy (and lots of LotR range, not just Hobbit), and there are about 8-10 people who consistently play there. The other is in a city called Grapevine Mills, and their store has ZERO LotR and Hobbit because the manager doesnt care

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My GW had a lot of lotr stuff in sales, and very little hobbit. Probably didnt think it would sell well. Either way though, no love for LOTR at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I would write a sternly worded letter to your countries GW headquarters explaining your issues with trying to play/ collect your chosen GW product at your local GW store. I'm sure they'd be very interested to hear their local managers are refusing to offer any support for one of their 3 core systems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think a lot of the responsibility is the store, really. Some people who have been into 40k and WFB for a long while seem to resent LotR/Hobbit (despite it paying for all the new plastics tech and rapid GW expansion). If the manager doesn't like one of his products, he's hardly going to encourage people to buy it (and may even talk prospective SBG customers into investing into 40k or WFB), which causes it to slump and fail.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You have to make the manager interested and you have to get the other local players interested. Support your local store, buy some stuff in there and sit down and build, paint it etc. People will soon ask you about what you're building etc and then that is your chance to hook them in and get them gaming. Plus, if the manager sees a decent amount of interest (and money) in the game then he/ she will become more involved.

I'm guessing nobody plays it so they see it as pointless to push a 'dead' system if there is more chance of a sale with 40k.

My local never used to have many lotr players, now we have 6/7 and the manager joins in our games if he has time. Between myself and the manager, we have converted several 40k/ WHFB players into LotR players.

It's all about DA MONIEZ!

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Keep your chin up, friend! For the longest time between LoTR and The Hobbit I only had one regular opponent, and then with the War of the Ring and The Hobbit stuff even he is no longer into it. Even having not had a proper game in at least a year, I have just gotten back into things after seeing Desolation of Smaug and am having a good time looking through all my older stuff and being on the site here. Just yesterday I purchased my first minis since March and today I'm sitting down to paint a bit.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I would write a sternly worded letter to your countries GW headquarters explaining your issues with trying to play/ collect your chosen GW product at your local GW store. I'm sure they'd be very interested to hear their local managers are refusing to offer any support for one of their 3 core systems.

I most definitely recommend following the above suggestion; it's preposterous for a store not only not encouraging, but actually deter costumers from playing one of the core systems.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's me here, Rangefinder.
BrentS lives up in Gurnee. And he's busy lots with family from my last contact with him. I have a family too, but can get away for a match.

I am still interested in running a game with you sometime. Games Plus in Mt. Prospect is a great place to do that. They have a whole section up in the front with Hobbit/LOTR stuff. Their game room is pretty decent, and they have terrain for you to use at your table.

Games Plus also has more stuff there than at the Woodfield GW store in Schaumburg.
There is another GW store off Dundee Rd., "Deer Grove GW". I have no idea what kind of support they give for the game though.

Again, I have had a card at Games Plus over a year now on the bulletin board, and only found the one person to run games with. And he's at school now. My buddy ran the GW Oak Park store for a couple years, and I know this game was the smallest section of his shop.

I have been thinking of jumping ship to play Malifaux (oooooo... heresy!) :shock: hahaha. There is a strong following, and a group that plays at Games Plus. But I have so many models to paint for LOTR that I just cannot justify it now. The time of reckoning might be at hand reading your post now. Maybe this summer I pack in the LOTR range and start a new game.

I totally understand your frustration. And have seen the GW employee apathy you experienced as well (at Woodfield GW) first hand.

PM me when you want to throw down. We can meet at Games Plus, and if it's all good, we can run games at my place time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rangefinder wrote:
It's me here, Rangefinder.
BrentS lives up in Gurnee. And he's busy lots with family from my last contact with him. I have a family too, but can get away for a match.

I am still interested in running a game with you sometime. Games Plus in Mt. Prospect is a great place to do that. They have a whole section up in the front with Hobbit/LOTR stuff. Their game room is pretty decent, and they have terrain for you to use at your table.

Games Plus also has more stuff there than at the Woodfield GW store in Schaumburg.
There is another GW store off Dundee Rd., "Deer Grove GW". I have no idea what kind of support they give for the game though.

Again, I have had a card at Games Plus over a year now on the bulletin board, and only found the one person to run games with. And he's at school now. My buddy ran the GW Oak Park store for a couple years, and I know this game was the smallest section of his shop.

I have been thinking of jumping ship to play Malifaux (oooooo... heresy!) :shock: hahaha. There is a strong following, and a group that plays at Games Plus. But I have so many models to paint for LOTR that I just cannot justify it now. The time of reckoning might be at hand reading your post now. Maybe this summer I pack in the LOTR range and start a new game.

I totally understand your frustration. And have seen the GW employee apathy you experienced as well (at Woodfield GW) first hand.

PM me when you want to throw down. We can meet at Games Plus, and if it's all good, we can run games at my place time to time.

Yeah man Im totally down. Im honestly going to ask the two new GW's if I can post a thing in their store with my number and emails address and see if we can get more people, and maybe start up a league if we get enough to.

Im not quite ready to play yet. Between the holidays, some personal things, not having the damn books and not having painted figures. I finally got my paints yesterday and working on stuff now.