All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:35 pm

Post subject: Alternative Smaug model
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If we are left in the unlikely but unfortunate situation where GW decides not to make Smaug, what are some other options? The regular dragon model? Something from other companies?
 Post subject: Re: Alternative Smaug model
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the Forgeworld dragons, the Carmine Dragon (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/W ... RAGON.html) looks much more like my idea of Samug than the movie version.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you have a spare $300 laying around dark sword minis makes this guy

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop ... a-kit.html
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hose are both nice dragons but they're both six limbed, rather than the four like smaug,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

However my favourite dragon is from Heresy Miniatures:

heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_80&products_id=260

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, I would be patient as even if GW fails there are many companies that make Movie items, busts, prop replica's and such and there are toy lines and convention exclusive things... Something may crop up outside the GW realm that can be an actual smaug but just not a model (and may be pre-painted).
It would be awesome if Toy Biz did it... they made the (hard to get) Balrog and it was huge and awesome. It even stands taller than the very hard to get Cloverfield figure (another thing sitting around the house).

It would take a while to sculpt in any epoxy form, so if anyone is going to make a scratch built I would expect that to take a couple years before we see it. I think that another problem GW has is the sculpting time, Peter changed the dragon from one film to the next, so it is not like they had a lot of time and I would guess that it would have to be sculpted in software or at least the bulk of it and printed to give any sculptor a chance of making it within a production timeline between films (meaning sculpt time, acceptance from license holders, mold making, production run, painting, packaging, publishing of pictures in mags and rule tests, and distribution time).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I know you are wondering about alternatives, so I don't want to de-rail, but I have spent a few hours looking into this and I think it is feasible for GW/Forgeworld to do it. I also believe they can do it on a Mumak base.

Some people have tried to estimate the size of smaug and used the coins and Bilbo from other parts of the movie for scale along with playing around with photoshop and came up with the result that Smaug would be 3/4 of the length of a soccer field.
For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't just compare Smaugs head to Bilbo when they are right next to each other as its the same scale.

It would take roughly 1.5 to 2 Bilbo's to equal Smaug's head height and roughly 1.5 times that again for head length (snout to spine), or roughly 4 Bilbo's long. Bilbo is a fraction under 1 inch tall in both LOTR/Hobbit minis (i thought there was disparity, but it must only be for dwarves). So Smaug's head would be about 4" long and 2" high.

The main challenge of course is the length. It would be exceptionally long to do a straight/flying version, easily 10-12" long, but of course, that is not really a good idea unless GW opts to put him on a flying, mumak sized base. This actually is a smart choice from a gaming perspective, as he would be taller than generic troops with spears and would allow them to sculpt it without having to worry about the model extending inches over the base or making another master base for just one model. Anyway, I don't think they they will do this, rather they would just curl the tail back to the front of the base or wrap it around some debris.

Smaug looks very big when he rears up to show Bilbo is size, but it's important to remember he actually has quite a thin body (or he would have trouble either walking or flying) so there actually isn't all that much to put behind the torso. You could actually give him a 6" torso and have another few inches to get the hind legs and the tail on the base if you bend it a little. When you consider that you can have the entire head and neck overhanging the base (as they do with other models), this gives a lot of room to play with.

There is a small feature on Smaug by Weta (link below) which has an awesome CGI model near the beginning. To me it shows just enough of everything to prove it is feasible - that you can have a dynamic pose, overhanging head, wings near the body and the position of the hind legs. The only thing left to worry about is the tail. In this model, the tail is mostly straight with a bit of vertical arch, so a bit of fiddling and you can have the tail overhanging the base, but out of the way, or curled around. The model doesn't have to be rearing, which is very important towards having a feasible model to sculpt, cast and distribute to customers without expecting great difficulty in assembly. I wouldn't be surprised if GW was using that same model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvr7DSEHcic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Since Smaug exists in digital form, there is no fundamental difficulty in translating that into another 3D format for posing and translating into moulds for plastic or resin (metal is not a realistic prospect for something like Smaug).
Of course the use of a licensed file would be fraught with legal and financial issues. Ho hum.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Reaper has several - metal - dragons with a length and/or wingspan of 12" or more.
And of course, there was the infamous Citadel chicken dragon twice that size (whose wings would be too big to cast, and the casting methods of the day didn't survive more than a few runs for the rest either).
http://www.solegends.com/citdragon/thedragon/index.htm