All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:26 am

Post subject: Thranduil was at The Battle of Dagorlad?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I was doing some research for my army list for a Battle of Dagorlad scenario for War of the Ring and came across on a few sites that Thranduil and his father Oropher were part of The Last Alliance and that Oropher was killed during the battle. The bibliography listed Appendix B to the History of Galadriel and Celeborn in Unfinished Tales. Here is the entry:

"...Oropher had the wisdom to foresee that peace would not return until Sauron was overcome. He therefore assembled a great army of his now numerous people and joining with the lesser army of Malgalad of Lorien he led the host of the Silvan Elves to battle. The Silvan Elves were hardy and valiant, but ill-equipped with armour or weapons in comparison with the Eldar of the West...Malgalad and more than half his following perished in the great battle of Dagorlad...Orprher was slain in the first assault upon Mordor, rushing forward at the head of his most mighty warriors before Gil-galad had given the signal to advance. Thranduil his son survived, but when the war ended and Sauron was slain (as it seemed) he led back home barely a third of his army that had marched to war."

So now I am thinking in addition to my High Elves with Gil-galad, Elrond, and Cirdan as Epic Heroes, I can have three additional formations using plastic Wood Elves to represent the Silvan host with Oropher, Thranduil, and Malgalad. Thranduil has a profile in WOTR, but I would have to create one for Oropher and Malgalad.

Now I haven't played Dagorlad with WOTR (only the SBG scenario for FOTR which doesn't include Sauron), but the rationale is that if The Last Alliance has any chance of killing Sauron, you need as many Epic Heroes as possible to challenge him to a Heroic Duel. You are going to lose some heroes, but you need to build up those wound counters since he is Very Hard to Kill and the victory condition for Good is to kill Sauron.

I would use the Thranduil model from DOS, the old Haldir model for Malgalad, and the pre-Hobbit movie Thranduil model for Oropher. If we are lucky, we will get an armoured Thranduil with TBoFA.

Thoughts?
 Post subject: Re: Thranduil was at The Battle of Dagorlad?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

When i researched for it, one month ago, I read here http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Dagorlad that the "Silvan lords" participated, and one of em was Thraduil. But right now it is changed and silvan lords got replaced with Oropher.
I am really not sure...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

From memory Oropher was there with his wood elves and son. They formed the vanguard of the army and when they saw the enemies they rashly charged against Gil-galad's order. Most, including Oropher were slain but Thranduil escaped. Durin IV was also present with dwarves in case you didn't know.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks NarsilReforged. I plan to include dwarves and Durin's Guard in my Last Alliance army. I also saw that there were dwarves on the evil side as well. Not sure if I would use different models for the evil dwarves. Let's see what comes out with TBoFA, hopefully plastic dwarves (and mounted boar riders) :twisted:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Someone in this site has made exactly this: evil dwarves with superb success, But i can't remember his name. I really hope he will see that and post his pics...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

valadorn i think you mean circum giger sorry for bad spelling

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lol. The first time I saw your post I didn't actually read it. Just the title. Turns out you quoted nearly everything I said. :P

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think that's a great idea. Can't wait for the battle report!