All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:25 am

Post subject: Lotr sbg magic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warning: I'm just rambling, trying to gin up conversation.

I've played a good number of mini games and i must say, I really like magic in lotr sbg. The majority of mini games treat magic as either magic nets, a la immobilize and/or colorful arrows a la magic missile. I've got to hand it to gw. The spells they use for lotr sbg are very flavorful. Yes, they have the same generic net and missile spells, but the missile spell at least has a burst effect. Their other spells are very useful too. Who doesn't like bright light (immediately make all archers horrid? Yes please), or nature's wrath (banana peels for everyone :D ).

I almost wish there were more magic users, however, that would eliminate the one thing i like most about lotr's view of magic. Pervasive, yet limited in scope.

The world of middle earth in oozing magic, yet gandalf does not blast holes in mountains a la DBZ or DnD. It's just great!
 Post subject: Re: Lotr sbg magic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I love the magic as well. Instead of powerful ranged units they support/disable units.

I only wish that men/dwarfs had some sort of generic magic caster like the shaman of evil.

It would be hard to put in because you would need to use appropriate spells that fit the theme of each army.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Malbeth is kind of a magic user for men
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

pokyha wrote:
I love the magic as well. Instead of powerful ranged units they support/disable units.

I only wish that men/dwarfs had some sort of generic magic caster like the shaman of evil.

It would be hard to put in because you would need to use appropriate spells that fit the theme of each army.

Same, I prefer lotr magic to 40k/fantasy, but the fact that you effectively have to bring your own or just accept a single caster like a Wight, wraith or wizard will destroy/disable your heroes with nothing you can do is the problem, especially if your trying to use a kingdoms of men force where they have none.
Sap will is a bit broken though, d3+1 will lost, yet if you try to resist you are basically doing the enemies job for them, and as most heroes only have 2 or 3 will it completly wipes it in one go, so maybe it should be made a 5+ to cast?
Also, could it be an idea for the kingdoms of men to possibly have an exorcist style charecter? One who focuses on using his powers to protect men from magic/combat spirits? Say have Banishment and maybe a spell that grants magic resistance or something?