Where do you play?
Games Work Shop store 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Independent Retail Store 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Friend's home 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Home Game room 27%  27%  [ 19 ]
Dinning room or Kitchen table 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
Game conventions 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 71
 Post subject: Re: Poll Where do you Play?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
a gaming club.... :D not sure where that fits in ti the voting tho

Clearly I should have thought of that :oops:
Where does the club meet?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The club meets in a community ctr ... I'm going again 2nite :D

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:

:D You have found the other joy of this hobby, the great rules set. :D
I look forward to some battle reports of your fabulously painted figures duking it out on the table... :P
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

theavenger001 wrote:
Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:

:D You have found the other joy of this hobby, the great rules set. :D
I look forward to some battle reports of your fabulously painted figures duking it out on the table... :P

Yes, I regret not having a camera there tonight (though mine is kaputt). It was a great game. Here is a Battle Report, of a sort. I led around 640pts of Minas Tirith warriors against Kevs much stronger force (though not much larger by model count) of Isengard Uruks. I had the crumbling stone walls of an old fort to defend (along a short table edge), and had to protect my three heroes (A captain conversion counting as Faramir, and two Captains) from being killed. The walls were around the height of a Troll, so Siege rules were not applied. Uruks could clamber up the walls where the battlements were crumbling by passing a jump test, enter through the two Gates in the walls (the Doors were already destroyed), or attack through the two breaches where the walls had collapsed completely (the gaps between the terrain pieces). Archers were placed along the walls, and an Avenger bolt thrower on a tower overlooking the large breach in the centre. After eliminating the skirmishing Rangers, Kev had to charge his Uruks through a 24" gauntlet. He lost almost 20 Uruks to the Rangers, Archers and the Bolt Thrower (and also due in no small part to his caution, which simply gave me more time to shoot him) before his Uruks reached the walls. But when combat was joined, my men began dying in droves.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

A small force of Gondorian Soldiers, led by a Captain of the Fountain Court Guards (GotFC captain converson - counts-as-Faramir with shield and armour) tried desperately to hold out in the ruins of an old stone fort. A warband from Isengard, led by Saruman were attacking with the Objective of assassinating the Gondorian Officers (Bergil (Faramir) and 2 Captains of Minas Tirith). The men of Gondor had only to hold out till nightfall, before they could slip away in the safety of night.

Twelve Scouts (Rangers) were ordered to skirmish with the Uruk Hai amongst the ruins of an outlying village beyond the crumbling walls of the fort, to delay the advance of the White Wizard's minions for as long as possible. They managed to wound the Troll (Mordor as I do not have the Isengard Troll rules) once, and in return the infuriated Troll tried to smash a Ranger by throwing a boulder. It failed twice, before losing patience and instead charged at the nearest three rangers and killed them quickly (2 turns). The remaining rangers skirmished with the advancing Uruk Scouts and crossbowmen, killing a handful of Uruk Hai before the final two survivors fled. Only one Ranger made it back to the safety of the walls, whereas the other (being closely pursued by an Uruk Captain and Saruman) was struck in the back by a crossbow bolt.

The Archers stationed on the walls (WoMT) were poorly trained, killing few Uruks throughout the game. However, an Avenger Bolt Thrower crew stationed on a tower near the centre of the walls took a terrible toll on the Uruk Hai, killing over a dozen by the time the reluctant Uruks approached the walls (Kevin was wary of my archers and the bolt thrower - instead of just rushing my Infantry in the breaches of the crumbling walls and relying on the Uruk Hai's brute strength and greater fighting skill, he hung back and tried to shoot down my archers -allowing me to pick off units one by one. When he finally chose to advance, all my Ranged units had a wealth of targets).

When the walls were finally assaulted and combat joined, the Uruk Hai's brutal ferocity was unleashed. Lurtz went straight for the already splintered main gate, and chopped his way inside (thanks to two Pikes and a banner bonus, he killed two WoMT in the first combat despite their own spear support (4A vs 4A). Desperate to hold the gate, Archers began leaping down from the walls to join combat. A few brave soldiers even leaped outside the wall in an attempt to kill the Uruk Scout banner bearer, before being drawn off into a series of brutal one on one fights.

Meanwhile in the centre, the Elite Fountain Court Guards defending the largest breach in the walls in the centre, were thrown into disarray when Saruman blasted them with his Sorcerous powers. One Guard and a spearmen were killed instantly, and a banner bearer and a second Guard were thrown sprawling. Saruman then followed a handful of Uruks by ducking into a small, undefended postern gate (I couldn't see it from the angle where I was sitting, so forgot about it and did not deploy anything there until Kev's Uruk Hai charged through). Alerted to the danger, a Captain and a handful of soldiers leapt down from the Wall above the Postern Gate and engaged the Uruks. Saruman was drawn into direct combat with the Captain after the Uruks were swiftly cut down, and barely escaped with his life.

On the left flank of the fort, a handful of Uruks led by a Captain assaulted a small breach. The men stationed there were caught off guard by the swift assault, and failed to stop the Uruk Captain from scrambling up the crumbling wall to engage the archers stationed there. (I had 4 WoMT round the corner to protect them against crossbows and forgot to move them into the breach before the Uruks charged through). Witnessing the swift deaths of the archers at the hands of the Uruk Captain, the third Gondor Officer charged the Uruk with the support of another of his men. In a series of brutal fights, during which the Uruk Captain was wounded once and the strength of the Gondor Officer totally spent, the two men of Gondor were finally cut down. Meanwhile, the 4 men down below resolved to redeem themselves, and cut down several Uruks quickly (about 5 Uruk pikemen and scouts in 2 turns). The Uruk Banner bearer however refused to die, and fought the surviving two men to a standstill.

The Troll, who by this point was severely injured (2 wounds lost to archery - I chose not to make a pincushion of him with the bolt thrower as I thought that would be too easy) took advantage of the chaos wreaked among the bodyguards of the Gondorian General and attacked. After a series of brutal fights, the General was left to stand alone against the monster, before he too was cut down. Enraged, the nearby banner bearer and a soldier charged at the Troll and fended him off for a while.

A lucky Uruk crossbowman finally gained revenge against the crew of the Avenger bolt thrower by killing one of them. Left with no companion to assist in the operation of the machine, and seeing that all was nearly lost, the remaining crewman tried to aid his kinsman by leaping from the tower to attack the Uruks from behind...and promptly broke his neck. Lurtz, his strength now spent, was finally cut down by a trio of determined soldiers.

Saruman, having retreated from his near capture in the postern gate, found his Will spent. Sensing that victory was near and feeling overconfident, he charged back through the gate and attacked the now exhausted Captain...and received a sword wound for his troubles. At the last moment an Uruk Scout threw himself at the Captain in a frenzy, saving Saruman from his folly. (Saruman was brought down to one wound, before a Scout tied the captain and a banner bearer up). The Troll, having killed the enraged soldiers after the death of the General, emerged from around the corner and attacked the banner bearer.

Nightfall finally came, but only a handful of Gondor's soldiers survived, and, although many Uruks (including Lurtz) were killed and Saruman gravely wounded, the survivors were surrounded and trapped within the walls of the fort with little hope of escape.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................