All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:04 pm

Post subject: Architectural Model
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey folks, I wasn't too sure where to post this but I thought I might share with you my latest project. I was asked by my neigbor, who knows I'm into model building to construct a model of a house they are going to build. I was given a few drawings of the layout, but they are still unsure on the final design. They've asked me to tweak a few things, as you can see from the differences. Anyway I'll post up a few pictures of my progress on this project. Tell me what you think folks, although I'm afraid I can't change too much since it's their house.

Plans for the house:

As you can see the window piece has been extended downwards for more light and window design changed:

Back side wall hasn't been complete yet and everything just leaning against each other:

Drum 8)
 Post subject: Re: Architectural Model
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I say you should add a dragon's head smashing through the roof and flame throwing the place.

Pretty good work, maybe architecture is your calling.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

the dragon would be AMAZING! :D
but i really dont think architecture is his thing :P i know him too well ;)

you'll have the time of your life
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^Judging by what Drumstick put as his profile age, the guy is still young to choose a path. Give it sometime once he gets through all of his hormones and everything and becomes a man. Then architecture might become his thing, that or producing works of art, I would rather recommend the former, lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You getting paid for this? If your not it's still a good thing to do for a neighbour. Looks good so far 8)

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys for the kind comments.

@Sacrilege83: A massive dragon head smashing through the wall? now thats architecture! Yes I am 16, so still at school I'm afraid. Thank you for a very. .... manly speech there lol, but your right I may still go down that path. This is my first proper architectural model and I've enjoyed it very much so far.

@Polarbird: You never know my crunchy bisquit, I'm certainly enjoying making it. Won't stop me from going down to that Model Making course down in England tho. :)

@Cyndra the Grey: Na, I wouldn't make my neighbour pay for this. We're quite close friends with the people around us here in my street.

Drum 8)
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Sacrilege83 lol thats me told :oops: but i've known him for quite some time and he surely is talented but as far as i know hes more into artistc kinda stuff :D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Drumstick wrote:
Won't stop me from going down to that Model Making course down in England tho. :)

Glad to hear you're still keen on doing that :). It's a great course, and those with any imagination will never find it hard to get work - with a company or self employed. And besides, you can come and do some work exp with me and the guys lol :D! You may well change your mind about what you want to do as the years go on toward uni decisions, but when I was 16 if someone had told me I could actually be a pro modelmaker I would have known right then it's what I wanted to do - I just never knew it was an option. I discovered that I didn't want to be an engineer in A level college - I found out there were no actual engines involved and plenty of hard maths and physics. Neither of which I am much good at.

It's not long now until this year's third years graduate, some fantastic talent and I know they're going to go into some pretty awesome jobs.

Will.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Eorling wrote:
Glad to hear you're still keen on doing that :). It's a great course, and those with any imagination will never find it hard to get work - with a company or self employed. And besides, you can come and do some work exp with me and the guys lol :D! You may well change your mind about what you want to do as the years go on toward uni decisions, but when I was 16 if someone had told me I could actually be a pro modelmaker I would have known right then it's what I wanted to do - I just never knew it was an option. I discovered that I didn't want to be an engineer in A level college - I found out there were no actual engines involved and plenty of hard maths and physics. Neither of which I am much good at.

It's not long now until this year's third years graduate, some fantastic talent and I know they're going to go into some pretty awesome jobs.

Will.

Hey mate, I can't exactly remember which course you went to. I have a feeling it may be a different one. My first choice is the Bournmouth Model Making course which is specificly movie props, moulds and trying different matierals. I'll pop the link below so you can check it out. My second option is the Atlantic College which I think was the one you went on? Down in Wales?

Some work experience with you sounds like good fun, although moulding/casting isn't my strong point. Tried a few before and the 2 / 3 part moulds get tricky. Did you go right through your engineer college course and then decided to do something else and also what made you want to go into the model making industry? Maths & Science, ah my worst subjects. I find there are always like two sides, the arts and literatures and the maths and sciences. Don't know, difficult to explain lol.

http://www.aucb.ac.uk/Default.aspx?page=539
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A little update for you all today. I've finished all the windows, and my next step will be to plaster the old part of the walls and then use balsa wood to clad the new extention. Roof is most likely going to be started first.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes the AUCB course is the one I did. I did my International Baccaleureate (equivalent to A-levels) at Atlantic College, I then did a Foundation in Art and Design at Hereford - I didn't know about the modelmaking course when I started that but knew I wanted to do a design course having flunked mathy stuff at AC. Then I went to AUCB after that. If you're serious about applying to Atlantic I can help you with your application to give you the best chance of a place - there are some things they like other than good grades (I got a place even with straight C's in my mocks - did better in the reals though.) Send me a PM about it if you like, I'd be happy to help - best two years of my teens by far.

AUCB usually don't take people if they haven't done a foundation. But if you do your foubndation at AUCB too you're pretty much guarenteed a place on the BA course - lots of people do that. However, if you go to AC you will most likely come out a very different person and you might have a totally different career plan, you'll have a world of possibilities open to you after two years there! But don't even try to do higher maths and physics - standard maybe - but they teach at Asian/American levels and us Brit's just aren't up to that level at age 16!

But you're already off to an awesome start :D!

By the way, my girlfriend did the AUCB course and she now work's in a prop house near Pinewood studios. The course is much more diverse than that, but props is what most people want to do when they start the course. Few make it, and those who do swiftly discover that it isn't as glamourous as it sounds, still fun though. When I was there they couldn't teach resin casting for toffee, if you want to learn about that do a weeks work experience at a miniatures company hehe. They're good with fibreglass and prosthetics though, and the workshop is epic.

Here is their actual website http://www.bmakers.co.uk/ - omg they still have my satellite ship, dinosour and AH-64 on display in the digital section! Chuffed!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well my plans are to see if I can get into the B Model Making course without doing a foundation. I think it's worth a try because thats the area I'm most interested in and would rather get right into it. Hopefully some of my skills and models may help pull a few strings there. The other option is to do the foundation course, but I'm also swaying about the AC... . but there is still time to think and then do the B model making course. (thank you very much for the offer on helping, if I take the AC course I'll speak to you further about it on a later date) Oh yes I'll be flying down to England to go to the B open day on the 25th June. That will allow me to check a few things out and ask a few questions and see whats what. My plans after that are rather vague. The work experience sounds like a good idea, I already had a thought about doing that. Anyway we shall see what happens.
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can't tell whether you know or not, but just to clarify you will need at least some A levels or something, they won't take you straight off GCSE's as it's a university course. Just so you know :).

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks very professional!
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Eorling wrote:
I can't tell whether you know or not, but just to clarify you will need at least some A levels or something, they won't take you straight off GCSE's as it's a university course. Just so you know :).

Oh yes I'll be doing all my Highers, which is A levels in England. I won't be goin this year, only to check out that open day thing. Just so I get an idea really :)

Thank Sticky :D
 Post subject: Model Update
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've worked on this a little and recently just bought twenty quids worth of balsa wood so that will keep me stocked for a while. I've clad the side of the walls with plaster and textured it. That gave me the old part of the building while the other side will be new and made out of woods. Only done a small amount to test, kind of difficult to see. You can partially see that on that new extended window. Anywhoo tell me what ya think.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

looking great so far :)
does the plaster on the walls come off when you touch it? (just kinda like powder) because mine did when i only used plaster to texture some of my buildings, i now use a mix of plaster and pva :D

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

polarbird2 wrote:
looking great so far :)
does the plaster on the walls come off when you touch it? (just kinda like powder) because mine did when i only used plaster to texture some of my buildings, i now use a mix of plaster and pva :D

hey mate, thanks. I use a ready mixed polyskim which has quite a bit more of a grab than just mixing plaster alone. It works really well without even being tacky. Good to hear you've solved your problem and added some pva. :) With the polyskim mine has a decent amount of flexibility which really helps (the foamcore bends because the paper side is damp) and means no cracks. Does the pva work just as well?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

aaaahhh im gonna have to try that out some time :) and it doesnt seem so warp or bend at all, maybe because i glue it all together before texturing it which i guess adds quite a lot of strength to the whole structure :D

Post subject: Architectural Model
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Forgot to update my progress on this model in fact. It's almost complete and now on the final stages of completion (building wise). I'll throw a few pictures up for you folks to get an idea of where I am. The roof has not been glued on yet and just adding the chimney now. Otherwise I'm going to raise the ground up soon so that it resembles what's in the plan. Tell me what you all think.

Drum