All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:56 pm

Post subject: Games of the XXX Olympiad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Congratulations to our British members for having the privilege to host this year's Games in the esteemed city of London! Just saw the Opening Ceremonies, they were great! I quite liked the transfer into the Industrial Age, especially with the culmination of the Olympic Rings. Kenneth Branagh did great (of course) reading from The Tempest, and Rowan Atkinson was a hilarious surprise, his Mr. Bean skits still make me crack up. And man the torch was awesome! I was wondering all throughout the Parade of Nations what those children were carrying. Still think Beijing did it better though :P

Excited for this year's Olympics, go Team USA :)
 Post subject: Re: Games of the XXX Olympiad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
Congratulations to our British members for having the privilege to host this year's Games in the esteemed city of London! Just saw the Opening Ceremonies, they were great! I quite liked the transfer into the Industrial Age, especially with the culmination of the Olympic Rings. Kenneth Branagh did great (of course) reading from The Tempest, and Rowan Atkinson was a hilarious surprise, his Mr. Bean skits still make me crack up. And man the torch was awesome! I was wondering all throughout the Parade of Nations what those children were carrying. Still think Beijing did it better though :P

Excited for this year's Olympics, go Team USA :)

Still a shame tv is full of the olympic games, but no channel sends out the GT, Throne of Skulls or Doubles :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

the olympics seems to be a bit like marmite doesnt it .. I think its good though .. although some of the huge opening sequence is at times quite unrelated to sports lol.

few things bring so many countries together though so its quite a nice and cool thing imo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I reckon its a colossal waste of money. It might be fun and all while it lasts but once its over most of these brand new shiny (and expensive) taxpayer funded buildings will do into disuse when they fail to find buyers. Its what happens after EVERY Olympic Games. We won't get the Olympics again for decades. Instead of sending it on an eternal 4 yearly merry-go-round around the world, it should be held in Athens, Greece all the time. That way, permanent venues with a guaranteed and dedicated purpose can be built, Greece would get an influx of Tourism every 4 years and it would help the collapsing Greek economy.

I also dislike how the Olympics are shoved down your neck constantly by just about every broadcaster and newspaper.

That said, I enjoyed some parts of the opening ceremony. Mr Bean, Her Maj parachuting into the stadium and the big Industrial Age themed show where they forged the Olympic Rings. But thats about all I'll be watching.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

King Ondoher wrote:
I reckon its a colossal waste of money. It might be fun and all while it lasts but once its over most of these brand new shiny (and expensive) taxpayer funded buildings will do into disuse when they fail to find buyers. Its what happens after EVERY Olympic Games. We won't get the Olympics again for decades. Instead of sending it on an eternal 4 yearly merry-go-round around the world, it should be held in Athens, Greece all the time. That way, permanent venues with a guaranteed and dedicated purpose can be built, Greece would get an influx of Tourism every 4 years and it would help the collapsing Greek economy.

I also dislike how the Olympics are shoved down your neck constantly by just about every broadcaster and newspaper.

That said, I enjoyed some parts of the opening ceremony. Mr Bean, Her Maj parachuting into the stadium and the big Industrial Age themed show where they forged the Olympic Rings. But thats about all I'll be watching.

The queen liked it too :P
I totally argee with you

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm watching the women's beach volleyball now. The most visually stunning sport of the olympic games.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh, and the whole thing screws Londoners over severely. They have to deal with severe traffic jams - which were bad enough before the Games but much much worse now that roads all over London have had lanes reserved for Olympic VIPS only. The London Underground is going to be stretched past breaking point - again, it was already bad before the Games. They also have to pay more in tax - I read somewhere that Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London when we won the Games, actually increased Council Tax to help fund it all.

And what does the government have to say to Londoners in respect of this massive disruption and intrusion into their lives? "Don't go to work to relieve the strain on public transport so people visiting for the Olympics have an easier time".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Maybe he should lower the taxes then so people don't have to go to work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sacrilege83 wrote:

And lose their jobs? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sacrilege83 wrote:
I'm watching the women's beach volleyball now. The most visually stunning sport of the olympic games.

yeh!!!! What channels that on? :-D

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
Sacrilege83 wrote:

And lose their jobs? :?
Bah, don't worry about it! The government has it all figured out. Let the citizens die out and starve on the streets being homeless and import immigrants to replace them later. And what better way to promote your city than by holding the Olympics! You see it's a complete circle that works... :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

We're as bad as the Chinese 4 years ago...(remember those paramilitary thugs the Chinese hired to protect the torch when they hosted the last Olympics?).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually I've never heard about that. But that kid on the bicycle should have known better. You always use the bicycle path! jk

Has London hired any thugs yet to do any bullying around?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm probably going to be embarrassed when I read this tomorrow, but...

Wow! Did not expect the Olympics to receive such divisive and negative reactions :(

I'm not at all a sports guy, but I absolutely love the Olympics. In fact, I've been watching a whole lot of it the past few days; archery, rowing, beach volleyball, swimming, basketball, soccer, boxing, weightlifting, gymnastics, table tennis, badminton, fencing, the list goes on. There's a hugely diverse amount of sports, with the entire world coming together peacefully to compete, in a different rich cultural city every four years that presents a unique vibe in its own Olympic iteration. Guys, this event is special, not only for the athletes, but for humanity as well--literally nothing comes to mind that can bring people together like this. I think its a brilliant way to spend money to be honest. These different athletes from around the world represent the epitome of human physical achievement and dedication, and I think their drive to succeed is absolutely worth celebrating. And again, the thing that really makes it for me is that nearly every nation in the world has decided to come together and peacefully honor this tradition. Its not only impressive, its important and significant.

Visiting a different city every four years offers a chance to see a different culture and background full of rich ethnic and cultural significance and uniqueness. The city that vies to host the Olympics should itself be prepared to do so--its not like the IOC picks a city at random. There's no reason to hate on the Olympics, the Olympic athletes, or what they stand for due to increased traffic as a result of one of the most important events in the modern era, even if it is severe (of which I have no doubt). The taxes--that's a major problem, I'll agree (are they temporary?). But again, that's not something to pin on the Olympic Games, the Olympic athletes, or what those things stand for. I'd be willing to pay those extra taxes in all honesty--that's coming from an American, notorious for hating high government tolls, which I do ;) but the Olympic Games are worth it! The city of Athens, and the nation of Greece itself, could not sustain hosting the Olympics every four years. It just isn't feasible. Both the city and country are not particularly large, and Greece would not be able to consistently muster the funds to host the games consecutively. In fact, I don't think any country could. It's not just building a stadium that costs money. Plus, Greece is in a much worse state than they were in 2004. It would not be fair to ask Greece to host the games, and it would also rob the participants--viewers and athletes--of the important aspect of cultural diversity as made possible by the different host cities. This is one of the mantras of the Olympic Games, one of the very things that makes it as important as it is.

Its very easy to be negative about big cost events, I understand. I often cringe at superhero movies because of the property damage the heroes and villains cause to a city, no joke. But to ignore to significance, importance and quality of this event in favor of the negatives is to do yourself a great disservice. Plus, if you find an event to enjoy, it can be entertaining to no end and promote pride for your nation in a way that politics and history really cannot. In a world that has become increasingly polarized, demonstrating that unification is possible while celebrating some of the greatest athletes of our time is in my opinion no way a colossal waste of cash.

Rants like this are never received well...but I was really rather surprised that the responses were so negative. Hitting the Submit button now...will be hitting the Regret button later...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Jamros wrote:
the privilege to host this year's Games in the esteemed city of London!

Pff... living in London I would rather have the olympics on the other side of the planet or not at all.

Btw check this out. Found on www.tickld.com:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Jamros wrote:
Rants like this are never received well...but I was really rather surprised that the responses were so negative. Hitting the Submit button now...will be hitting the Regret button later...

I see nothing to regret, it's just your opinion mate.

" the entire world coming together peacefully to compete, in a different rich cultural city every four years that presents a unique vibe in its own Olympic iteration. Guys, this event is special, not only for the athletes, but for humanity as well--literally nothing comes to mind that can bring people together like this."

I totally agree with this part. It's a great way to get people from all over the world together.

" These different athletes from around the world represent the epitome of human physical achievement and dedication"

But I'm totally 100% against that. Having spent a lot of time on sports myself, it was always about health and fun.
Professional athletes totally sacrifice their health, taking all sorts of drugs, just for a record, money and fame.
Ancient Greeks (and I'm not that Greek used to blablabla guy, modern Greece is nothing to be proud of I'm afraid) used to say "Healthy spirit in a healthy body", that's what olympics were about.
It was not about sacrificing your health, it was not about taking [word deleted] of money from sponsors and though the dedication these people show is amazing, it's on a totally wrong path.
And making all these people "idols" for the young kids is even worse.

Anyway I'm gonna :E now, before I start talking about nations and politics :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Check this out. Olympic Officials are suspicious of the Chinese swimming team and have decided to investigate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article/Genetically-modified-athletes.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^Well when something is too good to be true it usually is, especially when the Chineese swim team has a history of cheating. And then there's giving someone the benefit of a doubt. D'oh well...

@Jamros, well said. There are some negative things about the Olympics, but it just wouldn't be right if it stopped existing all of a sudden, would definitely miss it. The Olympics is the only true event that brings the whole entire world together, World Cup Soccer doesn't do that though it's next in line.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm not going to deny that doping--and profit margins--are now a big part of athletic events. I too heard about the Chinese swim team's possible cheating, as well as some badminton players trying to lose on purpose to get a more favorable position in their bracket. But to focus on things like that over some of the incredible and genuine athletic feats is in my opinion just pessimistic and negative. The IOC does regular drug tests and monitoring to crack down on cheating or unsportsmanlike conduct. We have some amazing athletes doing awesome things. There are even quite a few funny stories from these Games. Cheating and performance enhancements are a reality, but with all the positive, why focus almost exclusively on the negative?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry I just thought this needed to be posted.. ... . it's alllll a setup I'm telling ya!