All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:58 pm

Post subject: Pinky's OR Awards minis. Warning: Pic heavy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, following in theavenger001's footsteps (though I'd like to think I gave him a bit of a nudge :P ) I've decided to upload my entries for the now redundant 2010 Awards. To be honest I really wanted to get them out there because nothing gives you the confidence boost or boot in the butt to get back into the hobby (I've been very slack and demotivated lately) like the comments and criticism of the community. So, without further ado, be critical.

This was my entry for the Individual model, Sauron. I tried to make it look like he was standing in the desolation of Mordor commanding his armies from some vantage point, I know, he wasn't one for doing much wandering but I though it might look cool. I gave him a reddish tinge to try and emulate the glow from Orodruin.

This was my entry for the Diorama/Terrain piece. This entry went through a few incarnations in my head, I had originally intended to pluck the heartstrings of you patriotic Yanks by emulating the Flag on Iwa Jima hill picture with Warriors of Rohan but it was too hard to try and fit so many models in such a tight space. Then I though about making it a last stand sort of deally with the Warriors trapped on the hill surrounded by Orcses. Then I though why not make it like a long forgotten last stand with the ghosts of long dead warriors still clinging to the tattered remains of their flag as they try and hold the hill. The flag is actually a Rohan banner but I went a bit mad with the Devlan Mud, you can still make out the image in good lighting. I also tried to make it look like it was night time without messing around in photoshop so everything got a liberal wash in blue, I think it worked sort of well.

So, there we go, I hope you like them and I'm looking forward to the next Awards.
Cheers,
Pinky

Post subject: Re: Pinky's OR Awards minis. Warning: Pic heavy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yep, you definitely gave me a nudge. :wink: I like your sauron, the minature itself is well painted. I really like the bronze armour. But the part that makes it stand out is the base, all sauron's look very similar, unless they're purple and pink. :lol: So, the base is what makes this mini imo. The ground and rock are well painted, and the foliage is not too sparse, but not too overpowering. And I like the addition of the vines.

As for your diorama, I really like it too. The addition of the little purple and red flowers is what makes it pop. Not to mention that the rest of the modelling and painting is great as well.

Overall, good job. If you have better things for this years awards I reckon you will do well.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Those are pretty sweet! 8) Sauron looks Awesome! I like the base as well, and the diorama looks excellent too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sauron and base is just amazing...I love it.

The diorama is good as well, but I feel like the ghosts are a little one dimensional being only one color. Picking out the metals and/or hair would help tremendously, methinks.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the comments guys 8)
With all metal minis like Sauron it's a bit hard to make them really stand out unless you possess godlike painting skills in either NMM or true metallics like Tidoco's awesome work (check out the work in THIS thread) so I tried to create a bit of a scene with the base. He's actually mounted with magnets so I can create a gaming base for him when I want to use him in a game (if I ever get around to actually playing one :oops: ) I am really happy with how he turned out.
Thanks for the tips Jonathan, I'll keep that in mind when I paint the rest of the AotD fellows.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You did a good job with the painting but I like your detail on the bases :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sauron looks savage on that base and the red tint is a nice touch. I was wondering how you painted the stone ? its a very effective shade.
Painting a night scene seems like a bit of a paradox but the blue turned out to be quite effective, nice one 8)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@BW: It was a while ago now but I think I painted the stone my usual recipe of heavy brush of codex then light drybrushings of fortress, kommando khaki, bleached bone and white, then a bit of a wash with ogryn flesh to give it that red tinge.
Thanks for the comments too, and Charlie, cheers!