All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:57 pm

Post subject: Converting WoMT
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hey there, currently I'm working on an Arnor ranger army (Aragorn, 3 Dunadan, 12 rangers) and after I get another pack of rangers and Halbarad I may get some Warriors of Arnor, but they are pretty expensive so I want to convert some WoMT and my question is: Can anybody show me a good way to do this (with pictures if possible)? Thank you so much :)
 Post subject: Re: Converting WoMT
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In the past, I made plans to convert WOMT into Warriors of Arnor too. This is how I planned on going about it.

First I would sculpt that decorative ring of cloth that goes around their helmet.
Then I would paint them in the same colour scheme as the warriors of arnor. The colour scheme should help a lot.

I assume that you aren't trying to make them look identical to them but similar.
If thats not enough, then you could file off the tree emblem on their shields, and if you are a good painter, you could paint on the Arnor emblem.

If you still feel that they look too much like WOMT, then you could do something like sculpt them all green cloaks or maybe give them all body sashes similar to the Clansmen of Lamedon or Axemen of Lossenarch.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've never converted them myself, but it wouldn't be hard to make a quality rendition from the WOMT.
Tools:
Hobby knife
Greenstuff/your favorite sculpting putty
sculpting tool
1 toothpick

1. Use the knife to shave the wings off of the helmet and the tree off of the breastplate & shield. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the blade - otherwise you might accidentally cut yourself (ask me how I know :wink: )
(Optional: If you're careful, you can cut off the bulk of the shoulders & later replace them with chain mail, but I honestly think that's more trouble than it's worth - and less believable than proper shoulder guards anyway.)

2. Use the knife to cut the nose-guard from the helmet and the leg-guards off of the thighs. Start by cutting a line between the lames & the breastplate, that way you can come under and simply cut the bulk of it free without risking your fingers.

3. Use your putty to repair any damage to the tabbard under the leg-guards. After that's cured, use the toothpick to turn a ribbon of putty into chainmail at the bottom of the breastplate.

4. Use a bit of putty & the sculpting tool to make the... the... Whatever the heck those bandannas are called on their helmets. Anyone can make the doughnut version that GW did, so don't worry about your skill level. With some practice, you can work out something far better even.

5? If you like, you can take a shot at sculpting the diamond-wreath-and-stars design on the shields, but painting that on is probably as easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you very much! I will definately try these
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here's a link to Happy Scrappy Hero Pup over on The Last Alliance who did this exact thing. :-D You'd have to look through the whole thread but I think it would be worth it. :D

Fornost Veterans blog

Good luck with your conversions and hope this helps. 8)

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil