All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:00 pm

Post subject: Elessar's Royal Guard
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice or suggestions.

Basically, my latest army is set around the time of the Fourth Age, focusing on the alliance between Aragorn and Eomer. It is going to be an all-mounted force of around 50 models. (for starters anyway!)

Now the plan is to have both factions near-identical: King supported by a handful of royal guard and some regular riders/knights.

So here's the issue. For Eomer the royal guards are no problem, but what to do for Aragorn?

Yesterday I picked up a box of Knights of Dol Amroth and Knights of Minas Tirith with the intention of mixing and matching pieces. I haven't had the chance to start yet, but as a rough idea I'd like to use the notably-elegant horses of Dol Amroth. I've never been particularly keen on the Knights of Dol Amroth (in all these years, this is the first set of them I've ever bought!), but I'm considering using the bodies aswell, though I'm unsure about the helmets. Where the Knights of Minas Tirith come in, I'm considering using their lances and shields instead of the swan-adjorned ones.

Sorry if I haven't explained that very well. Again, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Post subject: Re: Elessar's Royal Guard
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Use the SKoDA, but remove the swan wings off their helmets and paint them differently, that's all I can think of anway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

you could get some citadel guard and covert them to sit on the DA horses
nice idea BTW
i might have to copy you some day :twisted: :-D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Depends what type of Royal Guard you're thinking of. If going down the Citadel Guard route which the movie seemed to use, then adding a cloak to KoMT [Knights of Minas Tirith] would be good (there are guides for various skill levels, and even PVA'd paper can be alright). If you can get your hands on Numenorean shields, they might also look good. If not, then using standard MT shields adjusted to incorporate the 7 stars of the house of Elendil and the crown of the King (not hard to paint - 7 dots and a line with corners). Might be tricky as I don't think there's much room. Scraping off the detail on SKoDA [Swan Knights of Dol Amroth] shields and free handing the symbols might be easier.

Going down the Guard of the Fountain Court route would be a lot harder. You'd probably use the SKoDA helms rather than try and sculpt it all because they're roughly similar in style. Either way, using the SKoDA horses seems like a good idea but I'm not sure on the bodies or heads (which are separate). Use blue tack to fit them together and see which style you like the best.