All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:13 pm

Post subject: Best and Worst!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rather unusual thought, but out of the entire LOTR and Hobbit miniature range do you guys think is the worst model released, and conversely what is the finest miniature that G.W. have released?

I shall have a peer through my cabinets and online before coming to a conclusion!
 Post subject: Re: Best and Worst!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think my best one is Thror and I also like Gandalf at the bridge of Kazad-Dum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's hard to pick my favorite but it's probably the Mounted Easterling War-priest. The only reason I've never bought one is they are fail-cast and with that staff...

The worst is probably Lindir, his pose is awful. Looks like he should be holding something but he doesn't

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My favourite is probably Erkenbrand on foot. Azog mounted is a close second though. These aren't the most detailed or extravagant models but in my opinion these two are the best because of the poses. A lot of the Lord of the Rings range's miniatures look very static and this just isn't what I want from a miniature that's supposed to be at war! All the minis with swords in the air look heroic and all but in the context of a skirmish they just don't look right to me. I agree that Lindir is the worst mini because of the terrible sculpt and the static pose.

Fortunately I think the Hobbit miniatures are becoming a lot more dynamic. I want forward facing models that look like they're about to smash anything you put in front of it with an axe or stab it with a spear or slash it with a sword. The new wargs, elves and dwarves really look the part IMO. Thror is particularly sick too.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As far as best... god almighty that's a tough choice.

Since I'll never make up my mind, I'll cheat and list two best and two worst, with the caveat that they aren't exclusive, and others will probably pop along at half three this morning, waking me up saying "No! That one is my favorite!"

Mounted Azog and Thror stand, to me, as some of the best miniatures in the line. Close competitors include Bolg and the Mounted Witchking with the burning sword.

As for worst... that's easy, for me. The plastic wood elves (the old ones) are literally the only miniatures in my collection to be put in the drawer BENEATH the one I put the terrain into. I realise that I'm cheating again by nominating 12 miniatures there, but they're a set.

I should make clear that I am only really capable of judging miniatures I actually own, and so horrible looking things like the daft looking Gandalf who looks like he's collapsing with a heart attack whilst struggling against a strong wind from AUJ that I never bought, or wonderful looking things like the upcoming masked or kneeling Mirkwood Rangers can't really be nominated.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Worst: Castellans of Dol Warhammer...
Best: so many to choose from - quite a few from Rohan, hard to pick one above all others. A couple of the Gandalfs and Sarumans are excellent - very like their onscreen prototypes.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Worst: Suladân the Serpent Lord, I just can't feel anything with this model, his armour isn't practical and I don't see him as the harad leader.
Best: The Warriors of Dale, these models are all I ever wanted for, they have a unique'ish look that always keep me by, if I have to choose one of them it's the upper left bowman (I got my first ones today and I fell in love with the sprue, the way you have to glue them is something I haven't seen in any GW model)