All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:54 am

Post subject: Let's make our spiders more spider like!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

After looking at some really fantastic spider conversions on OR and TLA I want to jazz up my old spiders now with terrain and webs. I was wondering how to put spider webs on their bases. I was thinking about using a gluegun to emulate the effects. Any other ideas? I would also like to see other people post their spiders here for inspiration!
 Post subject: Re: Let's make our spiders more spider like!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There's a technique using varnish and an airbrush, popularised I think, by Massive Voodoo. However, it's not very gaming miniature friendly.
I've also heard of people using crackle medium for a similar but more robust effect.

However, I've tried neither, because I'm scared to clog up my airbrush! Might give it a try though.

Anyone know of any other good techniques?

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There was an old rigging technique for small scale warships (1:1200 and smaller) that involved stringy glue but it could be messy and not very durable at all.
Surely some wispy fibrous material might do the trick but I am no expert in what that might be - maybe a hunt through the stuffings used in toys and such might bear fruit?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There is this thing called wundaweb, used for sewing. Might work out. I've never tried it but it doesn't look like cotton like a lot of webs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In the WD from when battlehosts was released,they used hamster bedding in ruins of osgiliath.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A very (very) small amount of cotton wool, stretched into wisps and strategically placed about the base could be an idea. I used this (rather too much - I've toned it down since then, you really need a very, very small amount) to make my Mirkwood Trees.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Creaky wrote:
A very (very) small amount of cotton wool, stretched into wisps and strategically placed about the base could be an idea. I used this (rather too much - I've toned it down since then, you really need a very, very small amount) to make my Mirkwood Trees.

I use polyfiber for stuffing toys or pillows. It is very similar if not the same as the Hamster bedding. A small amount will go a long way.

I am going to make my spiders from toy rings that are meant to hand out instead of candy at Halloween. They cost a fraction of what Fine Cast cost and are no more difficult to work with. However, they will not break.
The first thing I did was to restore the legs to the correct position by resetting the plastic in hot water. They were sold in plastic bags and some of them were distorted much like weapons in Fine Cast or metal.
The legs can be modified by placing them in hot water then moving them to the desired position. I chill the plastic in room temperature water when I am satisfied with them. You can hold the model until it cools if you like. The hard plastic spiders legs were modified in the same fashion.

I am going to prime and paint the soft plastic spiders separately from the bases so it was attached temporally with hot glue. The base is pine bark chunk available from garden centers.

The hollow log effect was also created with a few shreds of pine bark.

Woodland Scenic small tree armatures make good tree roots. The reindeer moss will be primmer coated black and painted brown I will add flocking later.

The armature can be twisted in to about any shape. I find that starting twisting at the top most branch fork then twisting again at the next branch fork working down gives the best result. I twist clockwise. It wont matter so long as you twist in the same direction from top to bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great bases Charles.